BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sam Szmodics-Your thoughts?

4 hours ago, arbitro said:

Early on yesterday he went down right in front of us after making a challenge. He was holding his ribcage, the same area which saw him in a cryogenic chamber last week. I felt for sure he was going off and I'm certain that some players would have bailed out at that stage. Despite his obvious discomfort he stayed on and put a real shift in until he was taken off last on. I think his hunger and desire is one of his assets and that this comes from his non league background and now he really appreciates his life as a footballer.

Appreciate his commitment, but I'm not sure why he was kept on for 87 minutes given the scoreline and the fact he'd had to take painkillers. Not somebody we can afford to be injured.

• Like 1

He's top-class, both in attitude and ability (for this division).

I actually think he'd do a very decent job in the Prem also - and hopefully he'll get that chance with us.

Agree with the Bellamy comparisons; there are definite similarities.

Top lad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

He said his goal target was 10 last season and he was disappointed he only got 7.

Whatever it is this season he's probably going to smash it.

It's the quality of his finishes that impresses. I thought his 2nd yesterday was a difficult chance, he only had a small gap to aim for,  but he made it look easy.

Both finishes were class. How he managed to square his body up to put the first one in the far corner was top notch. As you say he made the second one look easy but I’ve seen plenty of those missed.  Bennett missed a similar one at Oldham with no keeper to beat, just an open net to put the ball into, and he missed !

• Like 1

He's turned into exactly the type of player that we were told we had signed, not only by JDT & GB, but also by Darragh MacAnthony & the Peterborough fans. 

He's tenacious, committed, positive in his approach & leads by example, a proper fans favourite type. No small amount of ability either, a top player at this level at least.

Him, Dolan & Moran have actually built quite a good understanding together, some of their interplay yesterday was top drawer, great to see. 

• Like 1

Szmodics has become one of Rovers' most important players, so all credit to him after a difficult first season in the Championship when he often looked lost and out of his depth. I remember an early 3-0 defeat at Reading where he wandered around and hardly touched the ball. I didn't rate him at all. His 2nd goal against Norwich was the more difficult of the two I thought, many players would have made a mess of that chance. He does the simple things well, rarely gives the ball away and has an eye for goal which is just as well as we're not blessed with many goalscorers.  Fingers crossed he stays fit. 

• Backroom
4 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

He said his goal target was 10 last season and he was disappointed he only got 7.

Whatever it is this season he's probably going to smash it.

It's the quality of his finishes that impresses. I thought his 2nd yesterday was a difficult chance, he only had a small gap to aim for,  but he made it look easy.

It was a very composed finish. I was sitting at that end and the goalkeeper had done a decent job of narrowing the angle, meaning it had to be very precise placement. Szmodics put it away like it was no problem at all. 

• Like 2

Sammie not in the Irish squad again for the same personal reasons apparently. Something about he can't leave the country ("be away from home") for more than ten days? Would certainly link up with what somebody here mentioned about his missus being pregnant.

Hoping all is well for the lad and his family.

Edited by nbdrovers

• 3 weeks later...

Very positive news. He isnt like Wharton in terms of being a massive financial asset, hes 28 and Premier League clubs wouldnt be interested I dont think because he isnt of an age where he will then be sold on.

But hes really thriving as a Championship player for us and hes as important as anyone in our squad. Our biggest threat would be a Championship promotion chaser in January wanting the boost of his goal threat so this certainly strengthens our arm. We are so reliant on him offering that threat for us and he is a nuisance for every team we play against.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Very positive news. He isnt like Wharton in terms of being a massive financial asset, hes 28 and Premier League clubs wouldnt be interested I dont think because he isnt of an age where he will then be sold on.

But hes really thriving as a Championship player for us and hes as important as anyone in our squad. Our biggest threat would be a Championship promotion chaser in January wanting the boost of his goal threat so this certainly strengthens our arm. We are so reliant on him offering that threat for us and he is a nuisance for every team we play against.

He's in his prime. If a PL club wants him they'll bid. Whether they can sell him on in 3 years would be fairly irrelevant. PL clubs aren't run like development clubs. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roverblue said:

Hardest worker, top goalscorer and I think future captain. 

Assuming its more a financial reward for him as opposed to getting more years though as he only signed last summer?

It's a one year extension to his current deal, on I presume a better salary.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

It's a one year extension to his current deal, on I presume a better salary.

He was contracted until 2025, but the club had a year option to 2026.

So it's basically a pay rise but on the same length contract (unless his new contract has an option until 2027)

Edited by Sweaty Gussets

Just now, Sweaty Gussets said:

He was contracted until 2025, but the club had a year option to 2026.

So it's basically a pay rise but on the same length contract (unless he has an option until 2027)

He does.

Hence why I said it's a one year extension to his current deal.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, roverblue said:

Hardest worker, top goalscorer and I think future captain. 

Assuming its more a financial reward for him as opposed to getting more years though as he only signed last summer?

Financial reward, and also I suspect designed to keep him settled at Rovers for the long term.

If we under pay that often leads to players leaving early or refusing to sign a new contract when we do eventually offer it.

I think part of this contract offer will be lessons learned from BBD, Lenihan, Rothwell etc.

• Like 1