BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sam Szmodics-Your thoughts?

I've seen a few threads with poster's thoughts/opinions on SS. So as to not bung up those threads and to give a consise place to discuss our highest xfer fee purchase during the window I thought I'd start a new thread.

I know it is really early days and I don't want to judge a player too early. However I must say that I'm underwhelmed thus far. It appears we have a over paid for a relatively limited player. And I'm still not quite sure what he is supposed to offer that Dack couldn't?

I would love him to never start a game in his natural position all season, but not as a slight on him, because that would mean that Dack is back to playing every game.

I think his track record and the Peterborough fans and how blaze they were about him being sold was worrying coupled with a big price tag which perhaps could have been spent more wisely. His finish at Swansea was tidy but otherwise he has barely had a kick and I don't see what stands out, he isn't that quick, technically his touch seems quite poor, he works hard but that isn't enough.

He hopefully will kick on though because he could be a big weapon if he does with the 5 sub rule giving more scope for attacking options.

• Like 1

far too early to judge. 

Played well in his first 2 games. 

I want to see more of him, and I think we will cos I don't think Dack can play every game and we still have to manage his game time and fitness. He will never be old Dack but that's to be expected about two serious injuries. 

Tim Sherwood was awful and couldn’t get into the side in the old div 2 when he signed, but ended up a premierleague-winning lynchpin and captain. Therefore there’s time yet.

However I’ve been unimpressed with Sammy so far apart from his  composed finish at Swansea.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

Definitely agree that it's too early to really judge - he did well at Swansea, but (as above) was poor along with the rest of the team in other games.

I see him as a decent squad member and, if he gets a run of games, you can see him getting several goals - which could be vital come the end of the season.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, BRFC4EVA said:

Although fit, left out of the match day squad for the game against watford...

Perhaps JDT thought, that even though he was fit, he was not the best player, for how JDT wanted the team to play against Watford. 

Edited by rigger

17 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

strange signing imo,im`e not sure what his best position or role is,should have spent a bit more and got the lad clark-harris,he won`t be at peterboro much longer

His best position is as number 10. 

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Strange signing indeed, especially if Tomasson uses 3 at the back with any regularity. Even if not, we have Dack ahead of him.

as JDT has said he will switch between formations and choose the tactic that suits that game. 

Does JDT see Dack ahead of Szmodics? 

Give him time, he's only been here 2 minutes. 

It's actually a good sign of how strong the squad is, when Tomasson's most expensive signing can't get in ahead of the existing players. 

It's also good that Tomasson doesn't feel the need to force him in, he may need time to acclimatise, a bit like Hedges. 

• Like 4

As far as I can tell the role he is earmarked for - central pressing forward in a 343 or 4231 - is one which Dolan and Vale also play in.

He's not a bad player, but I am just struggling to see what he offers that Dolan doesn't and Vale is an able deputy for. On top of those two Gallagher and Hirst can also do the pressing the ball centrally and running all day thing.

Other roles in the team needed the investment much more - particularly left back/left wing back. Strange signing tbh. Can see him fading out of contention.

8 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

If he has eyes that work

Think Szmodics is viewed (rightly) as more of Dolan than a Dack. Dack's competition is more Buckley and Adam Wharton. And that's if we play a number 10 which tbh I don't think we will often. 

Based on what Ive seen I'll be surprised if Dack or Szmodics are racking up that many minutes. Both will be bench players imo.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Think Szmodics is viewed (rightly) as more of Dolan than a Dack. Dack's competition is more Buckley and Adam Wharton. And that's if we play a number 10 which tbh I don't think we will often. 

Based on what Ive seen I'll be surprised if Dack or Szmodics are racking up that many minutes. Both will be bench players imo.

I think BD will play more and more an important role as his fitness improves.