BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sam Szmodics-Your thoughts?

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

The fact that Tomasson is "Denmark’s Champions’ League-winning record scorer" from his playing days has little relevance really, there isn't the strongest correlation necessarily between playing ability and managerial ability.

More of a correlation though than there is between us assorted gas fitters, binmen, desk jockeys etc and professional football managerial ability.

My point was that the Dack situation cannot be because JDT doesn’t know what good looks like, in my view it’s all about culture change. Dack is the Jamie Tartt who cannot be indulged if the manager is to have any chance of succeeding of imposing his will on the others. 

Edited by Exiled in Toronto
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

More of a correlation though than there is between us assorted gas fitters, binmen, desk jockeys etc and professional football managerial ability.

My point was that the Dack situation cannot be because JDT doesn’t know what good looks like, in my view it’s all about culture change. Dack is the Jamie Tartt who cannot be indulged if the manager is to have any chance of succeeding of imposing his will on the others. 

In that though John is a real element of cutting off your nose to spite your face. Dack is undoubtedly our most creative player who can score and create too. It says more about Tomasson than Dack the way he has been pretty much ostracised if indeed he is trying to prove a point. 

55 minutes ago, arbitro said:

In that though John is a real element of cutting off your nose to spite your face. Dack is undoubtedly our most creative player who can score and create too. It says more about Tomasson than Dack the way he has been pretty much ostracised if indeed he is trying to prove a point. 

It's a worry. I started to think of Stuart Metcalfe, when Iley came in!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Oh yes it damn well could be.

The Elvenking* has no previous experience in managing in high level English league football and will have seen a lot less of it than most of the "assorted gas fitters, binmen, desk jockeys"

* And neither has Voldemort...

4 hours ago, arbitro said:

Ordinarily I’d agree Tony. But that assumes maximizing points in the short term is Tomasson’s goal, which I don’t think it is. All him and Broughton talk about is The Project, building a team that can get promoted and stay there. Dacky is the Billy Big Bollocks in the dressing room, the younger players must look up to him and follow his lead. If his lead is that you don’t need to take this guy seriously, you can do what you like on the pitch, then it becomes much more than a Dack issue. Contrast with Hedges, who must’ve had no mates in the dressing room: I think the message is, follow his example and you’ll play every week; follow Dack’s example and you’ll be in the Stiffs.

As an aside, I think Dack’s touch has degraded, even though he does still ghost into really good positions and can play a pass. No surprise, he’s spent two years not practising it in match conditions. Same as Federer: after a series of injuries his fitness is back, but that instinctive skill that no-one else had isn’t quite there any more.

4 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

As an aside, I think Dack’s touch has degraded, even though he does still ghost into really good positions and can play a pass. No surprise, he’s spent two years not practising it in match conditions. Same as Federer: after a series of injuries his fitness is back, but that instinctive skill that no-one else had isn’t quite there any more.

There's been a couple of occasions in recent matches where his touch has let him down and cost us a possible goal....... but I don't think it's his fault. Anyone who's played the game and been out for a lengthy period would tell you that regaining "match" sharpness takes a long time. I'm sure if he had a decent run of at least 10 games in which he started, his touch would come back. 

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Oh yes it damn well could be.

The Elvenking* has no previous experience in managing in high level English league football and will have seen a lot less of it than most of the "assorted gas fitters, binmen, desk jockeys"

* And neither has Voldemort...

You mean experience like that of Bruce and Wilder? Good is good anywhere, otherwise the Premiership wouldn’t be full of foreigners. Tactically he needs to adjust, but I think it’s ridiculous to jump to the conclusion he doesn’t know what good players look like.

3 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

There's been a couple of occasions in recent matches where his touch has let him down and cost us a possible goal....... but I don't think it's his fault. Anyone who's played the game and been out for a lengthy period would tell you that regaining "match" sharpness takes a long time. I'm sure if he had a decent run of at least 10 games in which he started, his touch would come back. 

Could well be right jim, but to get those ten games, you at least need to be showing the right attitude.

Its totally unfair to assume that Dack must not be applying himself to explain his absence. He has shown great resilience to come back from injuries and certainly didnt display any discontent last night at being chucked in the kids team on the back of being ignored the night before for the majority of a game in which we didnt have a shot on target in. He also applied himself in second string cup selections.

There could be one or indeed a number of factors that have led to a lack of starts. Tomasson's judgement is not necessarily perfect with a number of strange selections already. Maybe he is also under pressure to involve Szmodics due to his price tag. Maybe he is under pressure to try and phase Dack out due to his high wages, or maybe he wants to phase out an experienced player who is more likely to question decisions along the way, or to make a bold call to try and stamp his authority. Maybe a bit of further bad fortune with his injury in pre season knocked him down the pecking order.

There are so many possible reasons, but whatever it boils down to, I dont see how he can currently justify utilising him so sparsely considering the poor performances of other attacking players.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Ordinarily I’d agree Tony. But that assumes maximizing points in the short term is Tomasson’s goal, which I don’t think it is. All him and Broughton talk about is The Project, building a team that can get promoted and stay there. Dacky is the Billy Big Bollocks in the dressing room, the younger players must look up to him and follow his lead. If his lead is that you don’t need to take this guy seriously, you can do what you like on the pitch, then it becomes much more than a Dack issue. Contrast with Hedges, who must’ve had no mates in the dressing room: I think the message is, follow his example and you’ll play every week; follow Dack’s example and you’ll be in the Stiffs.

If Tomassons goal isn't maximising points ((or winning games) then we have a problem John. The whole club relies on the football side doing well. I suppose it goes back to this five year 'project' we are hearing about. I simply don't care about that. I want Rovers to win every game and get promoted as soon as possible. Getting the players on the pitch to achieve that should be any managers priority.

I watched Dack intently on Wednesday and he wasn't the pre injury Dack but in my view he would bring more to the team that several regulars. To play him though would require a different approach from Tomasson. That is what I believe Tomasson is struggling with.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Its totally unfair to assume that Dack must not be applying himself to explain his absence. He has shown great resilience to come back from injuries and certainly didnt display any discontent last night at being chucked in the kids team on the back of being ignored the night before for the majority of a game in which we didnt have a shot on target in. He also applied himself in second string cup selections.

There could be one or indeed a number of factors that have led to a lack of starts. Tomasson's judgement is not necessarily perfect with a number of strange selections already. Maybe he is also under pressure to involve Szmodics due to his price tag. Maybe he is under pressure to try and phase Dack out due to his high wages, or maybe he wants to phase out an experienced player who is more likely to question decisions along the way, or to make a bold call to try and stamp his authority. Maybe a bit of further bad fortune with his injury in pre season knocked him down the pecking order.

There are so many possible reasons, but whatever it boils down to, I dont see how he can currently justify utilising him so sparsely considering the poor performances of other attacking players.

Maybe at nearly 30 and two knee ops he isn’t someone who can be classed in the grow in value category, that plus his high wage might not be helping his case.

They would rather invest minutes into someone who they can get a decent return on in the future.

(speculation of course)

12 hours ago, arbitro said:

If Tomassons goal isn't maximising points ((or winning games) then we have a problem John. The whole club relies on the football side doing well. I suppose it goes back to this five year 'project' we are hearing about. I simply don't care about that. I want Rovers to win every game and get promoted as soon as possible. Getting the players on the pitch to achieve that should be any managers priority.

I watched Dack intently on Wednesday and he wasn't the pre injury Dack but in my view he would bring more to the team that several regulars. To play him though would require a different approach from Tomasson. That is what I believe Tomasson is struggling with.

I’m sure you are right Tony on Tomasson, but he doesn’t seem to me like the kind of guy who’d change his approach, especially as by some miracle we are three points off the top (temporarily). I think it almost certain he’s made Dack the issue on which he is seen by all to be the new broom.

On 12/10/2022 at 23:26, ben_the_beast said:

After Szmodics performance last night and judging by the comments on here and social media you're vastly outnumbered in your support of JDT not playing Dack. 

I don't live locally so can't attend many games but I'm certain fans in the ground are asking the same questions. 

Do you think I'm bothered about me being outnumbered? On Dack, I not against him as person or player but I want to see Rovers press high and from the front plus win the ball back high. We done it in certain games like Watford at home for an example. I don't think Dack can do this regular anymore since his injuries which is a shame for him, but he can still have a role here. He will always be loved by the fans and rightly so after his major part he played in the first 2 seasons here. 

On 13/10/2022 at 01:27, Upside Down said:

There isn't any data yet for his performance in games because he hasn't played any.

really? He has made 11 appearances so far this season and played 547 minutes of first team football

On 13/10/2022 at 07:57, K-Hod said:

What I find the most bizarre about Dack not being picked to start is that JDT played in the same position as him as a player!

so he will know plenty about the 10 role and what he wants that role when we played with it

On 13/10/2022 at 12:44, Mattyblue said:

Has to be, if we were playing a settled XI and system, you could say ‘we’ll that’s his method and he just doesn’t fit into it.

Whereas at the moment we are constantly chopping and changing players and set up, sending players to the U21s, then bringing them back to start first team games… apart from one senior pro.

It's a squad game and We have to play different formations during the season. Most teams do this now. Players need to be adaptable and capable of this

On 13/10/2022 at 12:41, DE. said:

Can't help but think Dack's absence has more to it than just stats. Think there may be a clash of personalities there.

if that was the case, do you think it would have been leak by now to the media? 

On 13/10/2022 at 13:23, roversfan99 said:

I found it telling how easy a ride Tomasson will get over the issue in that the local journalists asked him the other night why Dack didn't get on, and he said that he didn't want to use his 5th sub too early in case of injury. On what planet when Szmodics and Hirst start and when a central midfielder, right back, Dolan and Gallagher are the first 4 subs is Dack behind all of them, in a game where we didn't have a shot on target?

Players like Dack might become less and less common in this age whereby data is everything and players who run further and play more sensible but accurate passes are the ones that everyone wants.

JDT has been asked several times about the Dack situation and he answered the question everytime. 

On 13/10/2022 at 14:22, roversfan99 said:

The fact that Tomasson is "Denmark’s Champions’ League-winning record scorer" from his playing days has little relevance really, there isn't the strongest correlation necessarily between playing ability and managerial ability.

There is more correlation than most of us have considering what we all do for jobs, but we all have opinions on football and tactics, etc from being passionate and dedicate Rovers fans and football fans

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Do you think I'm bothered about me being outnumbered? On Dack, I not against him as person or player but I want to see Rovers press high and from the front plus win the ball back high. We done it in certain games like Watford at home for an example. I don't think Dack can do this regular anymore since his injuries which is a shame for him, but he can still have a role here. He will always be loved by the fans and rightly so after his major part he played in the first 2 seasons here. 

really? He has made 11 appearances so far this season and played 547 minutes of first team football

so he will know plenty about the 10 role and what he wants that role when we played with it

It's a squad game and We have to play different formations during the season. Most teams do this now. Players need to be adaptable and capable of this

if that was the case, do you think it would have been leak by now to the media? 

JDT has been asked several times about the Dack situation and he answered the question everytime. 

There is more correlation than most of us have considering what we all do for jobs, but we all have opinions on football and tactics, etc from being passionate and dedicate Rovers fans and football fans

Why don't you answer each question individually ?

• Like 1

Chaddy, we have not pushed from the front this season bar 1 or two games.

Shit up with the club speak and just having no opinion of your own. Do you think the team is pushing from the front? If not, why is Dack not in the team?

• Like 1

So tiresome, Chaddy is like a club spokesman. Loved TM till the very end until it was clear he was leaving and now has unleahsed his hate. 

Are you enjoying JDTs football?

Do you agree signing Hirst and Smozzie is going well?

Anser these questions with your own brain and not sound bites from the club, please.

Edited by JacknOry

14 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

So tiresome, Chaddy is like a club spokesman. Loved TM till the very end until it was clear he was leaving and now has unleahsed his hate. 

Are you enjoying JDTs football?

Do you agree signing Hirst and Smozzie is going well?

Anser these questions with your own brain and not sound bites from the club, please.

I must admit I don't agree with Chaddy on quite a few points. But I prefer JDT's outlook on football to Mowbrays. As much as I think both Hirst and Smodzics are not up to what should be our standard. They are as good as we are going to get.

Edited by rigger

39 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

His pressing and closing down of the opposition is one of the main reasons we signed him

Interesting! It was clear from watching yesterday that Szmodics had won tackle after tackle. At 2-1 up, away from home I felt that introducing him rather than Dack was the correct decision. He harrassed Boro and broke up their consistency. He can both score and assist and looks to have a bit of pace. I wouldn't go so far as to class him as a top end Championship player but he is useful in the Dolan impact sub role and I believe he will prove to be better and more effective than Hedges over time.