BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sam Szmodics-Your thoughts?

I'd like to see Dack starting in the 10 position and come off around the 60 minute mark for Szmodics. 

Give Dacky a decent run in the side and he will be a threat and score goals. Manage his game time in that way and he knows he only has to bust a gut for an hour rather than the full 90. Szmodics against tiring legs in the second half would be a thorn in the sides of defenders. Szmodics and Dack have something to offer together.

My main frustration is when we've not seen Szmodics it's not been Dack replacing him but a combination of Hedges/Dolan/Formation switches.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

I'd like to see Dack starting in the 10 position and come off around the 60 minute mark for Szmodics. 

Give Dacky a decent run in the side and he will be a threat and score goals. Manage his game time in that way and he knows he only has to bust a gut for an hour rather than the full 90. Szmodics against tiring legs in the second half would be a thorn in the sides of defenders. Szmodics and Dack have something to offer together.

My main frustration is when we've not seen Szmodics it's not been Dack replacing him but a combination of Hedges/Dolan/Formation switches.

I think JDT doesn't see Dack as starting player for us, and I think is plenty of evidence to back this up this season. I said before I think he will ask leave in January and go to a team where he will play regular 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think JDT doesn't see Dack as starting player for us, and I think is plenty of evidence to back this up this season. I said before I think he will ask leave in January and go to a team where he will play regular 

I'm not talking about where JDT sees Dack. I'm talking about what I would like to see and what I think would be best for Rovers. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I thought his look up and cross for the second and his run and finish for the third were of the very highest quality - I don’t think any other of our players could’ve pulled both off.

Yes, these were both excellent. I did feel he came into the game once Rovers got ahead, and had looked a bit lost prior to that. However, football is a confidence game, and those two contributions alone yesterday should certainly build that for young Sam.

It's repeating the feat week in week out that is the key to a good player though. We haven't been blessed with many of tthose in recent years, have we?

2 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

I'm not talking about where JDT sees Dack. I'm talking about what I would like to see and what I think would be best for Rovers. 

Could Dack do the pressing forward/false 9 role that Szmodics did yesterday? 

I think the time has come when Dack is no longer as our best player anymore since Mowbray has gone, Not playing for 2 years and JDT's tactics. Dack is a quality player on his day and he has been proven quality for us in promotion season and in the championship but I don't think he will play much under JDT and I can see him asking for transfer in January if he still not playing much 

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Could Dack do the pressing forward/false 9 role that Szmodics did yesterday? 

I think the time has come when Dack is no longer as our best player anymore since Mowbray has gone, Not playing for 2 years and JDT's tactics. Dack is a quality player on his day and he has been proven quality for us in promotion season and in the championship but I don't think he will play much under JDT and I can see him asking for transfer in January if he still not playing much 

Again I'm talking about what I would like to see, which I stated in my initial reply so I'm not sure why you referred back to Dack not being favoured by JDT. That's very clear. 

My personal opinion, one that I believe is shared by many, is that Dack hasn't been given a fair crack since JDT came in. I'm certain he still has plenty to offer. And as I stated in my first message, if limited to 60 minutes per game, yes I do think he could do a sufficient job pressing. It's not his biggest strength, but he offers so much in the rest of his game that it makes no sense to freeze him out.

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

Again I'm talking about what I would like to see, which I stated in my initial reply so I'm not sure why you referred back to Dack not being favoured by JDT. That's very clear. 

My personal opinion, one that I believe is shared by many, is that Dack hasn't been given a fair crack since JDT came in. I'm certain he still has plenty to offer. And as I stated in my first message, if limited to 60 minutes per game, yes I do think he could do a sufficient job pressing. It's not his biggest strength, but he offers so much in the rest of his game that it makes no sense to freeze him out.

Unless he hasn't fully recovered from his injuries. 

1 hour ago, ben_the_beast said:

But what we don't know what has been said Rovers medical department and fitness department about Dack. Plus, what the data shows about his work rate in training and in games. 

36 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The data about his work rate in training. Deary me.

Fun fact, I worked at United whilst they had Mourinho as manager and he sacked off all GPS data in training as he felt players where being picked because they where athletic in training rather than good footballers. They finished 2nd that year, nobody has come close since. 

EDIT before the Data police come at me, I realise this is entirely unconventional in the modern game and within the football community is probably considered to be ‘dinosaur’ type behaviour.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, J*B said:

Fun fact, I worked at United whilst they had Mourinho as manager and he sacked off all GPS data in training as he felt players where being picked because they where athletic in training rather than good footballers. They finished 2nd that year, nobody has come close since. 

EDIT before the Data police come at me, I realise this is entirely unconventional in the modern game and within the football community is probably considered to be ‘dinosaur’ type behaviour.

How’s it been working for him since then?

5 hours ago, J*B said:

By all accounts Mark Hughes was a terrible trainer. Lazy, poor touch etc etc... come match day though. 

9 hours ago, J*B said:

Mark Hughes  was a terrible trainer allegedly.

10 hours ago, J*B said:

It isn't the data that's the problem there anyway. It's the use of it. Work rate and athleticism are important, but nobody should be picked on that basis alone. Sounds like Jason Lowe would have got in the Manure team before Mourinho came along!

Since Mourinho was the one picking, it seems slightly odd that he got rid of it for that reason. Maybe he thought it was affecting advice from his staff too much.

Edited by bluebruce

37 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

It isn't the data that's the problem there anyway. It's the use of it. Work rate and athleticism are important, but nobody should be picked on that basis alone. Sounds like Jason Lowe would have got in the Manure team before Mourinho came along!

Since Mourinho was the one picking, it seems slightly odd that he got rid of it for that reason. Maybe he thought it was affecting advice from his staff too much.

Or to send a signal to the players. Trying to get more out of training than just incentivising work rate.  

15 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The data about his work rate in training. Deary me.

Everything matters in training in how you train in training, how you people in games, player attitude, how you take on the information given to you in team meetings or tactical meetings. JDT watched every training session back I have read, so he is looking at everything which involved Rovers first team players. That including watching under 21 games or highlights aswell. 

18 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Everything matters in training in how you train in training, how you people in games, player attitude, how you take on the information given to you in team meetings or tactical meetings. JDT watched every training session back I have read, so he is looking at everything which involved Rovers first team players. That including watching under 21 games or highlights aswell. 

That was a tough read. 

• Like 1

On 09/10/2022 at 22:46, chaddyrovers said:

But what we don't know what has been said Rovers medical department and fitness department about Dack. Plus, what the data shows about his work rate in training and in games. 

After Szmodics performance last night and judging by the comments on here and social media you're vastly outnumbered in your support of JDT not playing Dack. 

I don't live locally so can't attend many games but I'm certain fans in the ground are asking the same questions.