BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sam Szmodics-Your thoughts?

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I think BD will play more and more an important role as his fitness improves.  

As his match fitness builds he will produce goals and assists and once again be indispensable in the starting eleven. It's what he does and is one of our few real top quality players.

I just hope he's given the chance and stays clear of injury.

It will be uphill though as he's not cut out to be a headless chicken runner.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

I'd echo the 'strange signing' verdict for now. That was my view when we signed him, for the price we paid anyway, and though he started perfectly with a goal, and has missed a few games through concussion, I haven't seen much to change my impression.

However, it's still very early days, and the people who decided to sign him will have seen more of him than the rest of us combined. Too early to render a real verdict, these are just early impressions. Players sometimes take time to settle and this time next year (or even next month) we could be saying what a good signing it was.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I'd echo the 'strange signing' verdict for now. That was my view when we signed him, for the price we paid anyway, and though he started perfectly with a goal, and has missed a few games through concussion, I haven't seen much to change my impression.

However, it's still very early days, and the people who decided to sign him will have seen more of him than the rest of us combined. Too early to render a real verdict, these are just early impressions. Players sometimes take time to settle and this time next year (or even next month) we could be saying what a good signing it was.

Tell him he is Kevin de Bruyne and send him on as sub

• Like 4

16 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

His best position is as number 10. 

as JDT has said he will switch between formations and choose the tactic that suits that game. 

Does JDT see Dack ahead of Szmodics? 

Seemingly with Dack in the squad and Szmodics playing in the kids team.

15 hours ago, M_B said:

Give him time, he's only been here 2 minutes. 

It's actually a good sign of how strong the squad is, when Tomasson's most expensive signing can't get in ahead of the existing players. 

It's also good that Tomasson doesn't feel the need to force him in, he may need time to acclimatise, a bit like Hedges. 

True to an extent but signing a player for such a fee in our situation means that the player needs to become an important one.

The question has always been whether we needed to spend so much on a player in that position.

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Seemingly with Dack in the squad and Szmodics playing in the kids team.

playing with the kids? under 21 squad isn't kids but young players. 

This is the first time Szmodics will play since his concussion injury. 

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

True to an extent but signing a player for such a fee in our situation means that the player needs to become an important one.

The question has always been whether we needed to spend so much on a player in that position.

our situation? what does that mean? 

Well clearly Gregg Broughton and Jon Dahl Tomasson thought we need a signing there. Given that they would have seen him properly and he would have been well scouted and use data to back up what they were seeing from what they have seen. 

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Our fanbase isn't half weird.

Brereton was wrote off and sold for scrap not long ago.

I guess we'll have to never not rate a player again then, because they might turn all Brereton Diaz somewhere down the line.

(I do think it's early for writing off Szmodics though...but it's not weird, he just hasn't played very well)

45 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

That's fair.

Personally I don't rate him but happy to be proven wrong, as I was about Hedges who has turned out more than decent.

Yeh Hedges seemed an odd buy from his profile, and hadn't impressed after half a season. But he is really coming to the fore now. Sometimes players just take time to feel comfortable in a new area, club, formation, managerial style (or two already in Hedges' case, well done him...maybe JDT suits him better), league and set of teammates. Understandable as we're all human and that's a lot of change at once. Some people adapt faster than others.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I guess we'll have to never not rate a player again then, because they might turn all Brereton Diaz somewhere down the line.

(I do think it's early for writing off Szmodics though...but it's not weird, he just hasn't played very well)

He's made 5 appearances, scored on his debut, yet to some he's a poor signing and waste of money, it's laughable. I'd hate to sign for us as a non blackburn fan.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

He's made 5 appearances, scored on his debut, yet to some he's a poor signing and waste of money, it's laughable. I'd hate to sign for us as a non blackburn fan.

He scored on his debut then had 4 pretty shit performances. He's our most expensive summer signing. It's a bit premature, but it's hardly laughable. It's pretty standard fare for this situation at any club up and down the country. There's not something special and negative about Rovers fans. Go on the FB page and ask them about Szmodics and I'm sure you'll get a very different response you'll be happier with. Here, things are allowed to be criticised, it's not just a suck-off-the-club's-decisions jamboree.

• Like 1

He has been absolutely fantastic, certainly he has shown why we paid so much money for him. I cannot think of any way he could have played any better as he has not put a single foot wrong. 3 hat tricks in a row is immense.

Oh, we're talking about Szmodzics who has done hardly anything of note...my mistake, sorry.