BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sam Szmodics-Your thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Just gone through some of the comments on him from earlier in the season on this thread. I was massively underwhelmed early on as well, but he's been much better in the second half of the season.

However I must say that I'm underwhelmed thus far. It appears we have a over paid for a relatively limited player.

However I’ve been unimpressed with Sammy so far

For me he looks a poor man's Dack.

Strange signing indeed

He's not a bad player, but I am just struggling to see what he offers that Dolan doesn't and Vale is an able deputy for

I'd echo the 'strange signing' verdict for now

He's been anonymous for the vast majority of minutes he's played so far.

Waste of £2m

Poor signing, especially at £1.8m

Its a message board and people judge players by their perfomances to date. Underwhelming is mine

Underwhelmed to say the least.  Markanday has caught my eye more than this fella and he seems to be in Siberia somewhere.

Posh saw us coming big time and had us.

• Like 5

On 11/05/2023 at 09:43, LeftWinger said:

Just gone through some of the comments on him from earlier in the season on this thread. I was massively underwhelmed early on as well, but he's been much better in the second half of the season.

However I must say that I'm underwhelmed thus far. It appears we have a over paid for a relatively limited player.

However I’ve been unimpressed with Sammy so far

For me he looks a poor man's Dack.

Strange signing indeed

He's not a bad player, but I am just struggling to see what he offers that Dolan doesn't and Vale is an able deputy for

He's been anonymous for the vast majority of minutes he's played so far.

Waste of £2m

Poor signing, especially at £1.8m

Its a message board and people judge players by their perfomances to date. Underwhelming is mine

Underwhelmed to say the least.  Markanday has caught my eye more than this fella and he seems to be in Siberia somewhere.

Posh saw us coming big time and had us.

Because there's Rock All on TV that I want to watch tonight, I thought - not realising you'd already posted this, @LeftWinger ‐ I'd go through some of the threads on here, including this one.

And I know it's easy to quote selectively to make a point but if feels like some of those early judgements on him were, shall we say, a tad too harsh?

I particularly liked some of SS's own comments in @chaddyrovers' post above. Feels like he's - SS, that is - properly settled into being a Rover!

Now all we need is for Gregg to find us a good big Centre-forward for SS to play alongside!

• Like 2

• Backroom

I mean, it's not like Szmodics was alone when it came to struggling in the first half of the season. Despite our decent points haul there were very few players who looked comfortable adapting to JDT's style of play. The fact he grew into it as the season went on is great, and suggests he's going to be one who can really kick on if JDT stays.

• Like 1

On 11/05/2023 at 09:43, LeftWinger said:

Just gone through some of the comments on him from earlier in the season on this thread.

On 17/09/2022 at 02:05, bluebruce said:

I'd echo the 'strange signing' verdict for now. That was my view when we signed him, for the price we paid anyway, and though he started perfectly with a goal, and has missed a few games through concussion, I haven't seen much to change my impression.

However, it's still very early days, and the people who decided to sign him will have seen more of him than the rest of us combined. Too early to render a real verdict, these are just early impressions. Players sometimes take time to settle and this time next year (or even next month) we could be saying what a good signing it was.

Thought I would just re-contextualise my comment.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think there are more goals in this lad if we can get him running in on goal a bit more but trouble is in our system he does a lot of graft deep instead.

Could very well be a Paul Dickov type if he keeps up the desire, clearly loves being here so that's a plus.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, tomphil said:

I think there are more goals in this lad if we can get him running in on goal a bit more but trouble is in our system he does a lot of graft deep instead.

Could very well be a Paul Dickov type if he keeps up the desire, clearly loves being here so that's a plus.

I agree, we need to try to get him into goalscoring positions more often. I actually feel that since January and obviously excluding players who are no longer here, he looks the most clinical finisher at the club right now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I started the thread about this time last season. He has developed into a fantastic player, scoring goals, creating, just generally being an annoying pr!ck for the opposition. I take back everything I said-clearly I know nothing.

What is even more positive was that he seemed to have developed a habit of starting seasons slowly before finishing strongly. He's started off this year terrifically! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Andy said:

He's the ideal Rovers player; a good blend of Arte and Labore.

His goals have been vital - none moreso than his 2 today - and his market value has easily doubled, maybe tripled.

Not sure that we would have a chance of getting close to 6m for him, maybe if he was 5 or 6 years younger, but has really become a key component to this team and one of the first names on the team sheet. He could have been taken off 10 minutes before he was today because he could barely move such was his work rate. Effort alone is not much use but he certainly does give us far more than that. 

5 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

Sammi Szmodics, the perfect example of how you shouldn't write a player off after watching him for 45 minutes.

Some players adjust to the rigours of this league quickly, others, although talented, need time.

Let's not rush to judge some of our new lads too quickly

Szmodics scored in his first game so he definitely wasnt written off after 45 minutes.

He was poor in the first half of last season in the main, he came for a big (relative to the run down modern day Rovers) fee, it sidelined Dack and his performances were underwhelming, he was even dropped to play a couple of games with the kids. Questions were understandably asked.

Then he stepped up, really started contributing and he is universally popular now, full of praise. Dont see any problem. (Aside from that weird comment from a solitary poster who wanted his legs broke, which was rightly jumped on by everyone)

• Like 2

End of the day this how forums are, everywhere. Extremely reactive. It’s totally different at the ground where the Rovers support is very patient. 

Saw a post on a Facebook group today saying how ‘shit’ Rovers fans were (as a collective) because there were some ‘negative’ posts during the game, presumably from folk watching through a Firestick anyway.

Online life is not real life.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Szmodics is everything you want from a player. His connection with the fans is superb 

He will be our player of the season this season 

during jdt`s terrible first six months,i thought sammy was little more than someone who ran around a lot,he,like jdt has adapted and is now a handful to any defence,reminds me of paul dickov,a right pest to centre backs😀

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Terrible first six months?! We spent the entirety of it in the top 6…

remember some of those games,reading,cardiff,wigan,preston,burnley,sheff utd.coventry,stoke and bristol city😞we were terrible,i know the team was adapting to jdt`s new regime but they were dark days,especially being indecently assaulted by burnley and pne in the space of a week,we did`nt get going until after christmas