BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sam Szmodics-Your thoughts?

Big Sam is barely coherent these days, albeit he never really was. Nice to hear him call out Venkys a small bit though - and he certainly has his reasons 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Andy said:

Speaks absolute volumes for a lot of this current squad.

Chance to work for a winner and improve your game?

Nah, we'd rather have several days off a week, cheers.

Absolute loser mentality.

As for SS, he know's he's off this summer but he did a good job of being diplomatic enough.
Fair play to him and good luck, he's earned the move.

That’s why they’re playing at that level. Having said that the job of the manager is to get the best out of the hand he’s been given, not the hand he’d like.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, martonrover said:

What’s most interesting are Big Sam’s observations, ie calling JDT a coach not a manager and describing Eustace as pragmatic.

Even the praise given to  JDT by Szmodics is more from a coaching perspective.

The interview also confirms that JDT was stubborn and had no Plan B.

Just because Eustace gives them a couple of days of doesn’t make him a soft touch.

Szmodics confirms a mentality change when Eustace arrived, and in my view that is why we stayed up, (more clean sheets etc).

The problem is with all this talk of mentality change and of players liking Eustace is that results didn't get much better and we ended up closer to relegation than we were when he took over. If Eustace had an impact like Rohl, Harris or Cifuentes then I'd believe it but it just seems to me they like a softer less demanding manager.

It's only natural Eustace will have lower less demanding standards, his career peaked playing for Watford in the 2nd tier whereas JDT played at the very highest level including playing for one of the greatest managers of all time.

Also Eustace has no Plan B you only need to look at the likes of Millwall, Plymouth and Coventry at home to see that.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 4

What’s most interesting are Big Sam’s observations, ie calling JDT a coach not a manager and describing Eustace as pragmatic.

Even the praise given to  JDT by Szmodics is more from a coaching perspective.

The interview also confirms that JDT was stubborn and had no Plan B.

Just because Eustace gives them a couple of days of doesn’t make him a soft touch.

Szmodics confirms a mentality change when Eustace arrived, and in my view that is why we stayed up, (more clean sheets etc).

exactly. Big Sam explains the didn't and you are damned right that it doesn't make Eustace a soft touch but actually managing the squad and its not a soft approach. 

JDT is clearly a very good coach and tactical suits being a coach but confirms he was far too stubborn. 

Eustace is clearly good man manager and knows how to manage the players. 

Also Big Sam's no tippy tappy podcast have been excellent and listen to. 

• Like 2

Another great interview by a rover... thought Sammie did a great job of being respectful to the club but also being honest. Interesting that what he has said about the managers is pretty much exactly what the general thoughts on here have been. JDT being great on tactics but having no plan B, stubborn, poor for morale when you are losing; Eustace more direct, more relaxed, keen to keep the pressure off.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

exactly. Big Sam explains the didn't and you are damned right that it doesn't make Eustace a soft touch but actually managing the squad and its not a soft approach. 

JDT is clearly a very good coach and tactical suits being a coach but confirms he was far too stubborn. 

Eustace is clearly good man manager and knows how to manage the players. 

Also Big Sam's no tippy tappy podcast have been excellent and listen to. 

I am not sure if the results really bear out that Eustace is good man manager.

What we can hope for is that the defensive pressure off approach has just been about trying to restore the sides confidence and resilience after the December and January free fall and we will see a different way next season.

But... thats more hope than really being based on any data.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, superniko said:

The day off segment was comical. Talk about being happy just plodding along in lower leagues. (Not Sammie but the fact he said certain players hated it)
“If you beat Sheffield Wednesday you’re off until Thursday and it was all the motivation we wanted” - then they turn up with that performance 😂

Then you compare that with someone like Ferguson. I saw an interview with Ben Foster and he said they won the league cup and were back in training the next day cos they had a league match the weekend after.

That's the difference between a winner and a plodder.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Then you compare that with someone like Ferguson. I saw an interview with Ben Foster and he said they won the league cup and were back in training the next day cos they had a league match the weekend after.

That's the difference between a winner and a plodder.

That’s the difference between having a team of elite international footballers and a team of lower level journeymen. You can only wee with the willy you’ve got. Let’s see how it goes if Eustace can bring in some players with the right mentality.

It’s 2024 now. Tugay, Bentley, Samba, Freidel etc don’t play for us anymore. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

I was told , he would going there in January, it turned out to be Gallagher...Watch this space, I suspect they will make a bid .We  dont know , what went on behind the scenes in January..

If Ipswich come in for Gally this summer I’ll be lumping on them to be relegated.

12 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

The problem is with all this talk of mentality change and of players liking Eustace is that results didn't get much better and we ended up closer to relegation than we were when he took over. If Eustace had an impact like Rohl, Harris or Cifuentes then I'd believe it but it just seems to me they like a softer less demanding manager.

It's only natural Eustace will have lower less demanding standards, his career peaked playing for Watford in the 2nd tier whereas JDT played at the very highest level including playing for one of the greatest managers of all time.

Also Eustace has no Plan B you only need to look at the likes of Millwall, Plymouth and Coventry at home to see that.

The results improved enough to keep us in the Division, and that is all that matters.

29 goals conceded in JDT’s last 12 matches. We were hurtling towards League One.

The change in mentality discussed in the podcast was from “victims to fighters”, not about liking the new head coach.

With regards  to the playing careers of JDT and Eustace, that has got b*gger all to do with their abilities as head coaches / managers.

A good player with pedigree does not necessarily make a good manager (they very often don’t), and an average player can still be a very good manager, (countless examples).

Eustace is a pragmatist, as Big Sam said, and he opted for safety first. We didn’t lose any of those games, and Millwall and Plymouth were also fighting hard against relegation.

It wasn’t pretty, but it was effective. That’s why Birmingham and Huddersfield fans would love to swap places with us.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

What’s Eustace’s ‘plan b’ then?

We have moved between 343 and 4231 a bit. We did change setup half way through the Swansea. But I agree it's not like he's Jose Mourinho.

Hope to see more flexibility from Eustace next season.

32 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That’s the difference between having a team of elite international footballers and a team of lower level journeymen. You can only wee with the willy you’ve got. Let’s see how it goes if Eustace can bring in some players with the right mentality.

It’s 2024 now. Tugay, Bentley, Samba, Freidel etc don’t play for us anymore. 

Exactly the point I'm making.

Winners have a winning mentality.

Dollopers have a dolloper mentality.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
32 minutes ago, martonrover said:

The results improved enough to keep us in the Division, and that is all that matters.

29 goals conceded in JDT’s last 12 matches. We were hurtling towards League One.

The change in mentality discussed in the podcast was from “victims to fighters”, not about liking the new head coach.

With regards  to the playing careers of JDT and Eustace, that has got b*gger all to do with their abilities as head coaches / managers.

A good player with pedigree does not necessarily make a good manager (they very often don’t), and an average player can still be a very good manager, (countless examples).

Eustace is a pragmatist, as Big Sam said, and he opted for safety first. We didn’t lose any of those games, and Millwall and Plymouth were also fighting hard against relegation.

It wasn’t pretty, but it was effective. That’s why Birmingham and Huddersfield fans would love to swap places with us.

Talk about cherry picking stats, Jesus.

JDT never had us as close to relegation as his successor, though I accept, people have absolved JE of the blame for that somehow.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Talk about cherry picking stats, Jesus.

My mum had a saying - “ If the cap fits, wear it “.  Here’s another one - “  What can’t speak, can’t lie “.

Rightly or wrongly, for what ever reason, we were ending for the drop.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I spent almost all of JDT's reign saying he was stubborn and had no Plan B and you denied it. Now Szmods says it suddenly it confirms it. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The point about footballing abilities is correct, but JDT's coaching records at Malmo and at Rovers already are superior to what JE has achieved as a coach, and he also took Rovers on their closest run to promotion since Venkys took over.

SS was very diplomatic all around in that interview but he clearly believed in what JDT was doing on the pitch. There's little doubting his coaching ability in that area. It was ultimately his man management that let him down and his refusal to change from his footballing beliefs when injuries and fatigue built up. 

It's a very good watch actually. I put it on last night to skim through it and watched the whole lot. Especially liked Big Sam calling the Rovers / Burnley derby "evil". 

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 4

JDT never had a plan B, that was the biggest issue - see Reading, Dingles, Sheff Utd last season away - I never felt like we prepared for the opposition. 

The No Tippy Tappy Podcast with Warnock is interesting in this regard, they talk about their dislike of this now common modern theme of managers having a footballing philosophy and wanting to impart a style of play onto a team regardless of the talent at their disposal, they both comment that you have to work with what you've got - possibly a reason why they've had long careers in lots of different clubs.

Many fans, including myself, defended JDT for not being backed and not getting the attacking options he wanted, yet we still tried to go all out attack leaving massive gaps in midfield. JE comes in, has the same attacking options, the same lack of striker, and get's criticised for being too defensive and playing a supposed "boring" brand of football, I personally don't get the double standards myself and although some of the football under JDT was amazing, I'd take JE's brand of pragmatism any day. He's literally had the same team to work with yet some fans don't give him the same slack that they gave JDT, especially when it comes to attacking options.

Fans bemoan the games at home we drew - take Coventry, if Sammie puts that sitter away we've won, JE can't control that, neither can he control Hyam's disaster at Bristol and Aynsley's against SW. If I had one main issue with JE is that he's made us too relaxed, perhaps a result of trying to take the pressure off too much, but he's dealing with a squad devoid of any confidence. I think Sheff Wed at home was the perfect example of that BUT at 1-1 before the errors, SW were looking rattled (everyone seems to forget about that) and our more relaxed approach was looking to pay off. Any of JE's decisions/approaches to me can explained with pragmatism and logic, whilst many of JDT's seem stubborn and rash to me.

I saw a comment somewhere saying Eustace is "soft" and comparing him to Big Sam - if you listen to the Under the Cosh podcast, any time Big Sam is mentioned, almost every player says how great he was, his famous Dubai trips, giving them days off and time with family etc. If Allardyce does it, it's great management, if JE does it it's lack of backbone. Can't have it both ways.

13 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

I think this is really harsh.

I really believe that if Rohl, Harris or Cifuentes came to Ewood they would struggle too - just due to how disjointed our squad is and the lack of attacking options. We don't have the aggression, nor the bodies in midfield to play like those teams ended the season.

I also don't think Eustace has less demanding standards due to where he played, look at someone like Mourinho - I think he walked into the dressing room saw a completely destroyed team with no clear direction, I think he got a sense of something not being right just by the "vibes" in the room, and quickly got something together to try and get some points.

People can compare records on paper all day but the slide under JDT before he left was horrendous, no stats can accurately convey exactly what was going on in real life at that point.

People say we were lucky and "stole" wins by parking the bus against Leeds and Leicester, but for me that was the only way with the options we had to get some points: soak up the pressure and use Sammie on the break. 

The jury is still out but I've got confidence him, forget what he says in the press- he's not being media managed and his post-match stuff for Brum wasn't any different, some are good at it some aren't, who cares.

• Like 4

I'd love it if someone had the balls to say this: that one of the main factors for Sammie having the season he had, is the fact that Rovers are a basket case off the field and wouldn't back the manager (JDT) with a striker, so HAD to turn Sammie into our main attacking threat. Not taking anything away from him, he's totally risen to the challenge, but if he'd been kept as a 10 behind two strikers he may have gone under the radar.  He's been playing with Gallagher who's currently at £100,000 per goal...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Groundhog said:

I'd love it if someone had the balls to say this: that one of the main factors for Sammie having the season he had, is the fact that Rovers are a basket case off the field and wouldn't back the manager (JDT) with a striker, so HAD to turn Sammie into our main attacking threat. Not taking anything away from him, he's totally risen to the challenge, but if he'd been kept as a 10 behind two strikers he may have gone under the radar.  He's been playing with Gallagher who's currently at £100,000 per goal...

Yeah, he was fairly average in his old role although he always gave 100%. Since taking over from BBD he’s turned into a goal machine.

• Like 1