BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

9 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Was spurs away when they were in the mix for the title a dead rubber?

German media reported Dortmund's interest and have had scouts over watching him 

Of course not but they had lots of injuries, hence why it was a rare start.

As I said, I would be amazed if Dortmund bid £20m in the summer.

27 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I don't think he will ever make a CL player, if he does happy to eat my hat. Might - like Buckley or Adam Wharton - make a bottom half Premier League player.

He's a bit like someone like Cleverly who came through at Utd. At a top club from the academy but drifted down the league. 

I wouldn't say that is an unfair comparison

To me a PL player is a fine player, but you're right, reaching the very top seems a big step up for him at the present moment

It is amazing what progress can be made though. I look at a player like Mount, who looked a cut above this league, and he was handed a role probably too big for him so is suffering for it.

The progression of any footballer is a guess to us mere mortals - they are one injury or a purple patch away from obscurity or stardom respectively

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Iceman said:

I told you guys when we signed him, flop 

Think there were many of us in the same boat as you!

The really scary thing is it seems we were actually trying to buy him!  Sharpe in LT "Hirst was Rovers’ number one striking target in the summer, and the club had permanent bids rejected by Leicester City who later extended his contract before loaning him to Rovers".  That would have been an unmitigated disaster.

Not sure Broughton would know a real footballer if one smacked him in the face.  Equally, JDT must have sanctioned the bids.  It's enough for one to break out in a cold sweat!

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Mercer said:

The really scary thing is it seems we were actually trying to buy him!  Sharpe in LT "Hirst was Rovers’ number one striking target in the summer, and the club had permanent bids rejected by Leicester City who later extended his contract before loaning him to Rovers".  That would have been an unmitigated disaster.

Not sure Broughton would know a real footballer if one smacked him in the face.  Equally, JDT must have sanctioned the bids.  It's enough for one to break out in a cold sweat!

I think it was clever business from Rovers tbh. We dodged a bullet. I can't imagine we offered anything above £1m in the summer, and if he had done well £5m for a promising striker wouldn't have been too bad. 

1 minute ago, Torgeir said:

I think it was clever business from Rovers tbh. We dodged a bullet. I can't imagine we offered anything above £1m in the summer, and if he had done well £5m for a promising striker wouldn't have been too bad. 

Clever business would have been to sign someone with ability. Hirst has only returned because Leicester said so, and he cost us points in the absence of an adequate striker being signed in his place.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Is he that good?

He's scored 3 goals in 48 games. That's 16 games a goal

He looked bright the other week when he came on against Man City - could probably do a job in the Championship.

I'd take him here for sure on the right terms.

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

He can't be all that if Wigan want him and he's prepared to go there

He has played for them previously, it's where he started. Will have an affinity. Not breaking into his parent club's team and needs to get his career going...his old stomping grounds makes some sense.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Is he that good?

He's scored 3 goals in 48 games. That's 16 games a goal

He only started in 8 of those games to be fair. 

Was at Wigan on loan previously, so would seem a stall in his progression if you go back to the same level/club on loan 2 or 3 years later.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mercer said:

On the surface Hirst has the profile of the type of player we should be looking at. Did well in the second half of last season, scoring a lot of goals. I was pleased there was a purchase option in the deal.

When I say profile of player, I mean young, a purchase option so its not just a temporary fix, and players who given their age have potential high resale value.

The problem is that it's just as easy to pick up a dud as it is a diamond. Our scouting needs to be better as he clearly wasn't up to it. He's been a big disappointment and I'm sure Jdt & GB are disappointed at how it's turned out. Hopefully the beefed out scouting department can show their worth moving forwards with better due diligence on that profile of player, reducing the chance of more outcomes like we've seen with Hirst.

Very happy for them to have the time to increase the % of diamonds we bring in rather than duds.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, superniko said:

He only started in 8 of those games to be fair. 

Was at Wigan on loan previously, so would seem a stall in his progression if you go back to the same level/club on loan 2 or 3 years later.

Think he came through their youth ranks and then Leeds signed him after Wigan’s financial disaster. Might be what swings it for him going back “home”. Was going to say he probably won’t get many chances to feed off of there, but it’s pretty similar at Rovers…

7 minutes ago, Theaxe15 said:

Think he came through their youth ranks and then Leeds signed him after Wigan’s financial disaster. Might be what swings it for him going back “home”. Was going to say he probably won’t get many chances to feed off of there, but it’s pretty similar at Rovers…

Ah yeah that rings a bell actually, sorry. He was perm at Wigan and Leeds signed him rather than being there on loan. 

Thought it was a bit odd he didn't actually start many at Wigan if he had come in on loan, but that makes much more sense.

Edited by superniko
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, rover23 said:

Sorry, Bristol Rovers, not City. 

Still a good move and a step up for the lad. Good on him.

I don't think anyone here ever watched the man play for Stockport, but if this move is sorted quickly then a professional at Bristol Rovers did, and they must see something because they are in the promotion push

Let's hope he isn't just back up, but either way if it happens it's a step in the right direction

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

That line about Broughton, on what do you base this on? One loan transfer made with a few weeks to go of the transfer window? Of the three permanent transfers one is probably player of the year contender so far, one is a massive upgrade at RB (his injuries have been unfortunate) and Sammie who has made some contribution in goals and assists. This summer is where I’ll judge his transfer record but his role is across the football club and not just transfers. 

• Like 5