BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

This is last January all over again. Slow, no money, no new bodies in early to lift the team and fans... injuries mounting up, games and points passing by, and no real intent for promotion. Momentum lost. Act like a team in 12th, finish 12th.

Hugely disappointing so far and not confident about Bristol away.

RB, LB, 2 CMs and a new attacker needed while Ben is still here to stand any chance. Results so far.. 0.

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I rate Hyam, but due to his age profile I don't envision us making a 6-8X profit on him, and due to Brittain's injury proneness, I can't see it for him either. It would need Premiership money for that to happen with either, and I don't see why Prem clubs would put 9-12 million into injury prone or (by then) ageing Championship defenders. A more likely scenario is we have them for a couple of seasons and then sell them for perhaps double what we paid.

The youth player deals for those who haven't hit the heights yet are a lot easier to do than players like Brereton (which the current regime already failed to nail to a contract so must bare some of the responsibility), Lenihan and Rothwell (at the time we looked to extend it...admittedly it may have been far easier if we had done it far sooner). Not knocking getting those contracts signed, but I can't take from it that we won't repeat the scenario. We lack either the funding, the backing or the will/ambition to get expensive contracts over the line. We need to be starting discussions at 18-24 months remaining on all deals, and selling with 12 months left if it hasn't been signed. And that approach provides its own instabilities too.

27 is young for a centre half, and Brittain's initial fee I thought was reported as £500,000? I wouldn't put another championship team coughing up £3million for him in the future. I may have that fee wrong though. It is only potential of course, but there are no guarantees in football.

Yes but previously we wouldn't TRY to tie them up, until they'd hit the heights... If Brereton was given a five year deal 2 years ago then we'd have been saying it was a complete waste of money. Same for Gallagher, we gave him a new deal (wrongly for me), but if he does come good, the cards are with us now. Not with him having 12 months left on his deal.

Underlined bit is exactly what we've been doing recently. Unfortunately, due to our previous regime, if we'd have sold Brereton in summer then I do believe we'd currently be in a relegation scrap. Just personal opinion. 

32 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

The comparison between us and those 2 clubs is ridiculous. Both of those clubs can and have gone out and spent astonishing amounts of money on replacements.

Replacements are not relevant. No matter what budget you have, if a player doesn't want to sign a new contract then he will leave on a free. Burnley lost players in the Summer for free. The fact Chelsea can buy a replacement doesnt change the fact that the player can do what he wants. And the market has leaned that was for the last 12/18 months and will continue to do so. 

They probably expected Darragh and Ryan to agree new deals. Nobody was talking about Ben needing a contract 18 months ago when he wasn’t worth 2 million. Plus they club was broke. In the space of 5 months his value went up from 2/3 million to 15/16 million. 

I don’t think anyone wants anyone leaving on a free but the circumstances of the last 18 months has a lot of context. And we have talked about it into the ground. 

• Like 1

If we had decent owners my message to them would be sack the CEO immediately, bring in a team that can work together with the fans, restore some pride and with that generate some revenue for this football club.

Edited by Ghost7
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ghost7 said:

If we had decent owners my message to them would be sack the CEO immediately, bring in a team that can work together with the fans, restore some pride and with that generate some revenue for this football club.

This is exactly the conversation we should be having... not a conversation pretending to be outraged by being beaten on wages offered by either a Serie A side or a team that was premier league last season!

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

He gets in good pockets of space. He's iron clad in front of goal.  He's also seamless in transition 

Brace yourself, he sounds good and is certainly suited for our style of play. Iron a few creases out and he will probably be perfect. I like the fact that he is tailor made too and playing for us, puts him firmly in the shop window.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

I mean the money issue in this context could be we dont have as much as the other teams rather than we have no money but who knows

Is anyone we would expect to have more money than us in for him? I mean we don't have a lot, but still more than 70% of the Championship. 

2 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

I imagine the club are in a state of serious limbo regarding our transfer strategy this window. Brereton leaving for a fee could totally change the complexion of the players we are looking at. And we're working with our hands tied behind our back due to his contract situation and apparent interest in moving abroad.

Logically, the time to judge will be once the window closes. His situation can't be used as an excuse. However it can't be easy to navigate. 

Successful management is about dictating events rather than  letting events dictate to you!!!

You need foresight, nous, judgement and boldness.

Sadly, IMO, Broughton is failing miserably.  I think the evidence is there for all to see and I think it's clear he is a man out of his comfort zone and depth.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RoryRoversIreland said:

Any chance we can get over the players leaving for free thing. It happens. Chelsea lost 2 centre backs on a free. Pogba left United for free. It’s happens. People would have loaned if we sold Ben in August too. 

Until spokespeople for the club stop banging on about a project that is based around actually getting fees for our players, no, we can’t.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Is anyone we would expect to have more money than us in for him? I mean we don't have a lot, but still more than 70% of the Championship. 

If we have got more financial clout than 70% of the championship then God help the rest of them

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Show me a club of our level or above that lost 4 key players for free in two summers. If you can find any it won't be many. These things don't 'just happen', not on this scale, they happen due to incompetence.

Unless mistaken, all 4 players had contract offers on the table well before they where coming to an end. 

There seems to be a consensus from a lot of people that Rovers just did nothing. None of us know the finer details, but what we do know is each player decided not to sign what was put in front of them. What more do you want??

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Just not true is it

10 minutes ago, Gaz85 said:

Unless mistaken, all 4 players had contract offers on the table well before they where coming to an end. 

There seems to be a consensus from a lot of people that Rovers just did nothing. None of us know the finer details, but what we do know is each player decided not to sign what was put in front of them. What more do you want??

Offer them better terms that they might agree to in a timely manner. If they don’t, sell them.

22 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I had a look around online and realised- although there's no real official data I could find, just estimates - that actually we are probably lower mid table Championship in terms of wage spend.

31 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Skint. Or all a ploy as @chaddyroverssuggested to make out we have less than we do.

Screenshot_20230119-161406_Twitter.jpg

I imagine the offers Porteous has is us vs Udinese / Watford. And the message from our side is clear. We can't match the wages they are offering however this is how we see you fitting into our squad and selling him a vision of the future, for both him and the club. 

As a player I can imagine the Udinese / Watford set up isn't massively appealing with the possibility of being loaned wherever the owners see fit, within their multi-club model. It's one which suits clubs but not one which gives a clear career path. 

I can see why he'd sign with us, but can absolutely see why he would go elsewhere. From JDT's comments, I feel its likely we will miss out.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

I just can’t see them releasing him…especially now it’s been announced Trossard is going to Arsenal…We can only dream.

68522373-7D9D-45E6-8FC0-CFB6A1362FB7.png

Trossard is a midfielder,him leaving Brighton shouldn't impact their plans for Undav. 

Ferguson has jumped ahead of him as a striker option

• Like 1