BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

4 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Undav would be a fantastic signing at this level. If we can get the Hibs guy too and a CM then that would be a very good window. 

Agree. Looks like Undav knows where the goal is, he’d be genuinely exciting. Porteous would be a real bonus. Midfielder is key though, hopefully one (or more) is on the agenda. I’d love a fullback or two as well, certainly more than another keeper, but I expect that’s hoping for too much.

LONG way to go with none through the door yet, but hopefully this will turn out to be the type of window we are entitled expect and shows a bit of desire to achieve something. Not getting too carried away just yet though, feels like we’ve been at this hopeful stage before.

1 hour ago, RoryRoversIreland said:

Replacements are not relevant. No matter what budget you have, if a player doesn't want to sign a new contract then he will leave on a free. Burnley lost players in the Summer for free. The fact Chelsea can buy a replacement doesnt change the fact that the player can do what he wants. And the market has leaned that was for the last 12/18 months and will continue to do so. 

They probably expected Darragh and Ryan to agree new deals. Nobody was talking about Ben needing a contract 18 months ago when he wasn’t worth 2 million. Plus they club was broke. In the space of 5 months his value went up from 2/3 million to 15/16 million. 

I don’t think anyone wants anyone leaving on a free but the circumstances of the last 18 months has a lot of context. And we have talked about it into the ground. 

It's all about replacements. You said "can we get over players leaving for free" then cited 2 clubs who have (borderline) infinite resources to replace those players with ones of equal or greater quality. It's not the fact that players throughout the world leave clubs for free, it's that players leave OUR club for free.

If our broke ass club continues to let any players with value walk for free, their replacements will be free transfers, loans or league 1 players, who are likely to be worse than those that left.

If we were better with our player trading we could sell our valuable players when the time is right and use some of that money to bring in good replacements. 

Replacements are relevant, it's other clubs that aren't. It's what Rovers do that matters and at the moment we are incredibly poor at gaining any income from players sales.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Give over.

Once people realise we are trying to get rid of Brereton, with one year left, the offers immediately go down. £8m has always been a laughing stock.

And who would you have replaced Brereton this year with the funds we have? You lose 20 goals from last year and are left with x millions to replace him, after being in the day for days

Let's just say I am glad GB is our director of football and not you. I don't disagree there's a lot of bullshit happening at Ewood but you have this spectacular ability to ignore the cause: Venkys.

Broughton has had 6 months to work with owners who are difficult, disinterested and distant. And here you are making out like this bloke, who has worked in football for decades, is out of his depth. I know you try and pass it off as an informed opinion but the fact is it is just silly and knee jerk

Any director of football needs a couple of windows to be able to build the team and club. It is Venky level of stupid to be looking to move the DoF on after 6 months and not even one full window. So congratulations on entering that esteemed club

Great post!

12 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Laughed probably. It's not the 70s anymore. 

I very much doubt he would have laughed..

I also very much doubt he would have opted for 12 months in the 'ressies' when he could have had a go at plying his trade in the PL with someone like Leeds, Everton, WHU etc.

Doesn't matter what time period you are in, you simply don't p1ss about or show indecision or weakness.

Naturally I’ve spent a good 20 mins or so watching the dreaded skills YT videos of Undav, some more insightful than others. Really hope this comes off as it indicates that coach and DoF have identified what we all probably feel we’re missing.

He’s a goalhanger/poacher type with some obvious technical ability, but clearly not a world-beater (hence why we’re in with a shout). Passing facial similarity might be at play, but he reminds me a bit of Mitrovic, in that he always wants to find a position to score from but seems to have enough intelligence to see better-placed players.

Part of me questions the motive, though, as everyone playing through the middle to date has been seen to press incessantly and come deep for the ball, which doesn’t appear to be this guys preferred style of play. He seems to sit on the shoulder of defenders. We’d also need to embrace cutbacks from the byline/drilled crosses a bit more than we do currently. Seems a drastic tactical shift, although we probably all would like to see it.

This one is the only one of the three mooted so far that I see solves an immediate problem (goals), so it’s the one I’m keeping fingers crossed for.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

To which he could have said "OK". Would have achieved the square root of nothing and is not an approach being pursued by other clubs.

As it stands we will get nothing, If Diaz refused to sign, and was dropped we would get nothing, I don't see much difference. But there would always be the chance that if Diaz was not being picked he may have changed his mind about signing a contract, even if it was only to get a move. What other clubs do has no relevance to how Rovers should act. 

Edited by rigger
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Give over.

Once people realise we are trying to get rid of Brereton, with one year left, the offers immediately go down. £8m has always been a laughing stock.

And who would you have replaced Brereton this year with the funds we have? You lose 20 goals from last year and are left with x millions to replace him, after being in the day for days

Let's just say I am glad GB is our director of football and not you. I don't disagree there's a lot of bullshit happening at Ewood but you have this spectacular ability to ignore the cause: Venkys.

Broughton has had 6 months to work with owners who are difficult, disinterested and distant. And here you are making out like this bloke, who has worked in football for decades, is out of his depth. I know you try and pass it off as an informed opinion but the fact is it is just silly and knee jerk

Any director of football needs a couple of windows to be able to build the team. It is Venky level of stupid to be looking to move the DoF on after 6 months and not even one full window. So congratulations on entering that esteemed club

Amen.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, rigger said:

As it stands we will get nothing, If Diaz refused to sign, and was dropped we would get nothing, I don't see much difference. But there would always be the chance that if Diaz was not being picked he may have changed his mind about signing a contract, even if it was only to get a move.

We wouldn't have had his contribution on the pitch - and no manager is going to accept being told not to pick his best player.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

We wouldn't have had his contribution on the pitch - and no manager is going to accept being told not to pick his best player.

From what I have seen this season his contribution has not been so impressive. The manager is told that a player is not available because of his contract stance. I would be more surprised if the manager rails against the decision of his direct boss .

6 minutes ago, CoconutGrove said:

Aye, that would’ve gone down well - I can just picture it now.

Broughton tells JDT he’s not able to select Brereton as he has said he doesn’t want to sign a new deal.

Clubs interested in Brereton hold off, knowing we are desperate to sell.

We lose our first 3 games of the season, morale at a low point.

Mercer comes onto BRFCS to moan that Broughton’s selfishness is ruining the club and moans that he is out of his depth.

We then sell Brereton to Everton for £2m on deadline day as we’ve gone all in with 2/7 offsuit and been called.

Sounds much better than the situation we are currently in.

But your outcomes are fiction, the results could just as easily gone another way.

Being so needlessly aggressive with the player would be counter productive, his decision on a new contract wouldnt change and indeed if there was even a slither of a renewal (not the case here) then that would evaporate. Its cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Equally allowing him to run his contract down in the way we have is idiotic. A happy medium would have been for the owners to encourage offers and a bidding war in the summer, and take the highest. Instead they seemingly created a random and unrealistic price tag and didnt want to know unless it was met.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, rigger said:

As it stands we will get nothing, If Diaz refused to sign, and was dropped we would get nothing, I don't see much difference. But there would always be the chance that if Diaz was not being picked he may have changed his mind about signing a contract, even if it was only to get a move. What other clubs do has no relevance to how Rovers should act. 

You think we're in a position to drop one of our few goal threats? Do you like relegation battles?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

It's all about replacements. You said "can we get over players leaving for free" then cited 2 clubs who have (borderline) infinite resources to replace those players with ones of equal or greater quality. It's not the fact that players throughout the world leave clubs for free, it's that players leave OUR club for free.

If our broke ass club continues to let any players with value walk for free, their replacements will be free transfers, loans or league 1 players, who are likely to be worse than those that left.

If we were better with our player trading we could sell our valuable players when the time is right and use some of that money to bring in good replacements. 

Replacements are relevant, it's other clubs that aren't. It's what Rovers do that matters and at the moment we are incredibly poor at gaining any income from players sales.

The hierarchy at the club has already said that we need to stop allowing players leave for free. In fact JDT says it basically every single press conference. So constantly complaining about it on a daily basis,when GB has been in charge for about 7 months is ridiculous. 

My point on Chelsea losing players on a free is that it can happen to anyone. Yes, we don’t want it to happen, and yes we need to sell to buy. Maybe the new keeper comes in and we sell TK for 6 million in the summer. That would be the strategy working, but we need to give them time to do it. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Which would have been the worst of both worlds. Lets him rot in the 'ressies' for season and then let him leave on a free. 

There is no "ressies" now. I would play players who want to play for Blackburn Rovers. This is my personal opinion, the beauty of living in a democracy is that I don't have to justify my opinion to anyone, all I have to do is live with it.

• Like 1