BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

13 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Yeap it can’t happen in my eyes. Imagine if it did, we got in the play offs and he scored for us to go up…I would be outraged if it did get approved & if I was any other club in the EFL…Have they approved anything like this in the past? 

I just spent 13 mins trying to imagine that and couldn't I'm afraid.. 

Still a valid point though 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Jesus man, what agenda!? The point I made was based on attendances that in fact started to tale off from 1996, steadily (barring a couple of years) until Venkys came in which accelerated the drop off, such is how utterly shit they are at owning a football club!!!

The attendance drop off before Venkys isn’t a criticism. It was a symptom of our population, socio economic situation which was leading us back to our previously steady 8-10k gates.

Do I think we’d have retained another 10-12k supporters by staying in the PL? Yes, lots of people are enamoured by elite level sport. Are Venkys culpable for that subsequent drop? Yes.

So, it leaves us with 10-12k of die hard fans attending games now, much like the 8-10k’s we had in the 70’s. 

Ok probably poor use of words there by me i get what your saying but the way you come across at times gets my hackles up 😎

I was just pointing out the reasons for the dip in gates in the middle of the Hughes era which doesn't make anything 'awkward' when we look at the actual facts.

• Like 1

If they weren't even willing to soften that farcical 3 match ban given to Buckley, I struggle to see how they approve these deals for which paperwork wasn't submitted in time. They adhere to the absolute letter of the law, common sense be damned.

• Like 1

Surely the only grounds we could win this appeal on would be by proving that all relevant documentation was submitted complete and on time.

If there was anything missing, or it was late, we are asking the EFL to make an exception to the rules, which they surely can’t, regardless of how trivial we might claim any omission to be.

From the limited info we have I can’t see this getting the green light. 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Yeap it can’t happen in my eyes. Imagine if it did, we got in the play offs and he scored for us to go up…I would be outraged if it did get approved & if I was any other club in the EFL…Have they approved anything like this in the past? 

I'd just point the outraged clubs to Tevez and Mascherano and tell them I'm sorry for their loss.

It's a moot point anyway, we won't win the appeal.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Surely the only grounds we could win this appeal on would be by proving that all relevant documentation was submitted complete and on time.

If there was anything missing, or it was late, we are asking the EFL to make an exception to the rules, which they surely can’t, regardless of how trivial we might claim any omission to be.

Yep - imagine if they gave the green light.  Sheff Utd would be livid, they wanted him and others.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Have we signed anyone yet??

This site is going down for planned maintenance tonight. We thought it was safe. Wasn’t expecting deadline day to last three days. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I honestly think there's more chance of me nailing Dakota Johnson than this getting approved.

Fuck it though, i'm not bothered - we've got daddy Morton haven't we!?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Yep - imagine if they gave the green light.  Sheff Utd would be livid, they wanted him and others.

Sheffield United should be on the receiving end of a 15 point deduction as they've failed to pay past transfer fees... so they should probably keep quiet.

• Like 5

If we know we’ve made errors in the paperwork the appeal seems a bit desperate. But nothing lost, and worst case scenario - the deal doesn’t go through, but plenty of the fans who were previously in uproar will now absolve the club of any blame and direct all their ire to the evil EFL.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'd just point the outraged clubs to Tevez and Mascherano and tell them I'm sorry for their loss.

It's a moot point anyway, we won't win the appeal.

I'd point them to all the clubs who successfully flaunted FFP whilst we got punished for it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Key question we're not asking.

Who is Lewis O'Brien currently training with?

Us or Forest?

I should imagine neither. He can’t play for Forest and won’t be insured at Rovers as the deal isn’t complete. 

imagine him getting injured in training when he’s not your player. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Only thing I can think of is if there was a problem with the EFL 'portal' which meant they were submitted in time but not registered as received.

• Like 1

I'm all for rules and maybe just because on this occasion it would benefit rovers but if all the evidence is there that the deal was done, most forms completed and submitted and there was an oversight given the complexity of the agreement with having to negotiate the terms of the deal maybe they should approve it and just highlight it for future windows for such deals.

Hopefully there is times etc showing that the deal was done and agreed before the deadline. It's not as if the deal was tried to be sneaked through an hour or two after the deadline. Completely understand why they wouldn't approve but hopefully it's viewed as a minor issue rather than major. Find out soon enough.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Reginald said:

Only thing I can think of is if there was a problem with the EFL 'portal' which meant they were submitted in time but not registered as received.

If there really are a bunch of delays for other clubs (still yet to hear actual details of that) then this seems a reasonable hypothesis. Something would have to be wrong on their end if it's the case.

12 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Like I said yesterday in my post that 

"Simple not good enough if O'Brien didn't get done if these rumours are true. If we didn't a sign striker and O'Brien then it's not good enough and I would like to know why. 

I am concerned that we haven't got a striker in during this window. A proven number 9 striker is what we need if we to stay in the playoff hunt. I would like to know the reason why we didn't get a striker in and I will await the Gregg Broughton's interview and what actually happened as I want to know the fact behind it. We should have got one in no question asked"

The fact that 2 clubs went back on deals we have agreed with them isn't Rovers fault which I believe 2 days you actually agreed now you change your opinion again. 

Reading from Nixon's article and Sharpe's article plus what a poster has said this seems an administrative problem which would be our club secretary Iain Slivester area to fill the correct paperwork so don't know how you blame Broughton for it which that stuff isn't his remit. 

Yes Broughton has the responsibility for the lack of striker signing but I would like to hear the full circumstances and what actually happened during the transfer window first before any sort of verdict

Broughton is overseeing recruitment, judgement on that side comes down to what we sign and what we didn't, simple as that, no excuses.

Even if you can pass on any potentially farcical situation which leads to the O'Brien deal collapse, you have been insistent that we don't sign a midfielder, swallowing the "not blocking pathways" tripe so surely you will be annoyed that Broughton did try to get one, going against all of his project bollocks whether he signs or not? 

I said on the strikers that those individual deals may have been out of control but as a general hunt for a striker, it IN NO WAY makes the overall inability to get one other than a massive failure.

You had faith that we would get one on deadline day which made up part of your defence.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Is this actually an appeal though? Nixon said that the registration has been rejected but Sharpe is saying that it has yet to be approved - which are slightly different things.

It depends what the error / omission is. If it is simply a case that a particular sheet or part of the document wasn't submitted in time, but we can show that everything was agreed and dealt with prior to the deadline and this was simply an omission in error due to the chaos and rush of the last minute, then we should be OK. Sense should prevail and the deal should be approved.

If however it is a failure on the part of Rovers to complete the process in time due to ineptitude or not getting things sorted at this end, then it shouldn't be.

I wouldn't attach any weight to the EFL doing the 'right thing' or wanting to maintain even standards. Recent history is littered with examples of deals that have been allowed to go through after the deadline due to all sorts of reasons. Remember the famous Spurs fax machine problem?

Cases should be dealt with on a one-by-one basis and each assessed on the circumstances at the time. If the EFL are just abritrarily rejecting all on the basis they want to maintain a common standard then they really aren't fit to be running this game (but we knew that already, didn't we?)

As for Sheff Utd and other rival clubs it is none of their business. They have no right to stick their beak in. This is a private matter between ourselves, Forest and the League.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 3