BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

20 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

No, that suggests that we were spending well beyond our means and it wasn't sustainable.

To play devil's advocate.  Spending a couple of million in this window could leave us with a huge windfall if we get promoted. The epl money could wipe out a large chunk of the debt. Is it not better to take that chance than mill around in the lower echelons of the championship while racking up bigger debts? As the saying goes reach for the stars....

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

My point is that we've been a laughing stock / basket case club for more than a decade.

This particular incident is just par for the course if you're paying any sort of attention.

But that’s the point, most fans aren’t ‘paying attention’ like us saddos pouring over every aspect of the club day in day out on an obscure message board.

They just go to a game every other week and/or see snippets on Facebook/the LT.

Whereas this debacle has been very public on one of the most high profile days/evenings of the season for any football fan

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

How someone isn't losing their job over this is beyond me.

Because we don't have anyone on the ground that has the willingness to do the right thing, They're all on too cushy a number because the owner don't take enough interest so why upset the gravy train.

This will stay like this until Venkys are gone. It's as simple as that!!!!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, matt83 said:

I’ve just listened to that interview. I can appreciate a few things 1 an apology. I can’t recall one of those happening from anyone under the Venkys reign of terror. 2 taking responsibility (although it’s pretty easy to take responsibility when you know there’s going to be no consequences for the thing you’re taking responsibility for). 3 he’s seen issues with the farcical (not that he used that word) transfer procedure and structure they’ve used for the last 10 years.

That said this bloke is well behind now for goodwill and competence. So he needs to be pulling rabbits out of hats just to get back to parity and make up for his poor start.

My gut instinct is he’s just another chancer with a silver tongue saying the right things when actions fall well below minimum standards but he does seem a bit different to the rest in terms of taking responsibility 

Thing is, the "farcial procedure" has never let us down on transfer deadline night before he rocked up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

My point is that we've been a laughing stock / basket case club for more than a decade.

This particular incident is just par for the course if you're paying any sort of attention.

More whatabouttery. 

Remind me the last time we failed to send TWO reg docs off on transfer deadline day and were being publically mocked because of it? And when during that time we had a DoF specifically employed to deal with transfers? 

I have been paying attention but it must have slipped my mind. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Thing is, the "farcial procedure" has never let us down on transfer deadline night before he rocked up.

Perhaps not to this degree of embarrassment but there’s at least one player we’ve lost every window in seemingly daft circumstances. They’re just the ones we hear about. 

• Like 1

Just now, roversinmyblood said:

Yes it has apparently on two previous occasions. 

Based on what? We haven't had any criticism on that front from other Clubs in the past and you wouldn't have thought they would have been backwards in coming forward if it had happened.

Just as Forest haven't been.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Nobody that sits around me (or rather noone around me that engages in conversation!) thinks we're a well run club - far from it.

Just look at the usual debacle of season ticket promotion, pricing and timeline of availability. I still can’t believe that season tickets, not just for the next season but for 3 and 5 year commitments weren’t promoted, available and priced sensibly that May Day when we beat Oxford United in front of a near capacity Ewood, the largest assemble of Rovers fans present since the celebration night after winning the EPL at Anfield. Any other competent business would have seen this as a springboard and pulled out all the stops, a generational opportunity missed 🙈

• Like 5

1 minute ago, roverandout said:

To play devil's advocate.  Spending a couple of million in this window could leave us with a huge windfall if we get promoted. The epl money could wipe out a large chunk of the debt. Is it not better to take that chance than mill around in the lower echelons of the championship while racking up bigger debts? As the saying goes reach for the stars....

And if that gamble fails?

Considering automatic promotion is now beyond us and the Playoffs are a crapshoot at best it seems highly likely we'd just be adding to our debts.

I think JDT has massively overachieved with this squad. I was excited to see what his team would look like after a few transfer windows, but I suspect this is his last one with us.

I'd have been happy with a short-term gamble on a good PL (or European top league) loanee ST to 'chance our arm' in the Playoff race, but Broughton failed to deliver.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Nobody in the last decade plus of this nightmare has ever stood up held their hands up and took responsibilty for a cock up. Got to give Broughton respect for that it's not easy sitting there knowing your fans are raging as is a lot of staff and outside the club you are a laughing stock.

The guy has owned and although it doesn't make it right it at least shows he gives a stuff unlike that slug hidden in the shadows.

A small tiny positive is he'd got this player in after clearly seeing we need more in midfield and that's his job so he's done that.It doesn't gloss over the ineptitude but hopefully they'll root that out and boot it out if it was as careless or possibly dodgy as it sounds.

Thanks for a touch of positivity Tomphil, I’ve been so pissed off about what’s happened I have been staying away from reading the board. When I have come on it’s generally painful reading. Everyone is sore. I know you sometimes go in for your conspiracy theories at the club and I have to admit the past few days have really had me wondering “how? how? how can you miss the same form - twice??”. However, reading what GB said backs up what I’ve felt all along. He’s not cut from the same cloth as Waggot, Cheston, Shaw, Agnew, Senior, the ones I don’t want to name and the leeches whose names I don’t even know. All my instincts are that GB is at the least an honest man of some integrity. I wouldn’t say that about any of the others. I need some hope to cling on to. 

• Like 6

GB has been in post 7 months. He's already got a summer transfer window under his belt. 

I'm curious as to why it's only in the last few days that he's identified the 'internal' issues that caused the club to be embarrassed nationally. We signed lots of players last summer and these issues didn't come to light?

Could those that see him as a 'breath of fresh air' give me the low down? Genuinely interested to know the rationale. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

GB has been in post 7 months. He's already got a summer transfer window under his belt. 

I’m curious as to why it’s only in the last few days that he’s identified the ‘internal issues’ that caused the club to be embarrassed nationally. We signed lots of players last summer and these issues didn't come to light?

Could those that see him as a 'breath of fresh air' give me the low down? Genuinely interested to know the rationale. 

Reactive not proactive?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

If I'm being pedantic the squad now is stronger than it was in December - Thomas is a huge upgrade - but it's not enough.

People keep saying this yet Huddersfield fans are saying he’s been shite for them most of this season and generally aren’t bothered he’s left them despite being in a big relegation scrap. 

He obviously had something about him last season, but I hardly feel it’s some huge upgrade on the lads who have played out wide so far. I’m happy to see if he proves me wrong.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

More whatabouttery. 

Remind me the last time we failed to send TWO reg docs off on transfer deadline day and were being publically mocked because of it? And when during that time we had a DoF specifically employed to deal with transfers? 

I have been paying attention but it must have slipped my mind. 

I don't think you understand what that term means.

This basic administrative error (which apparently has happened multiple times before - someone mentioned DJ Campbell specifically) is a symptom of a larger issue. This is a terribly run club and it's clear for all to see.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

So you want him to publicly commit to seeking out and replacing those responsible for this error (it can only be one of the aforementioned two people) and then go behind their back to the owners to make it happen?

That's simply not realistic. At best the Club Secretary will be quietly replaced / sidelined (if he has any sway in the building) as someone more competent is brought in to handle the administration of the club.

My answer to your first point is YES. What do you want, a placatory speech, then sweep it under the carpet ?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hasta said:

People keep saying this yet Huddersfield fans are saying he’s been shite for them most of this season and generally aren’t bothered he’s left them despite being in a big relegation scrap. 

He obviously had something about him last season, but I hardly feel it’s some huge upgrade on the lads who have played out wide so far. I’m happy to see if he proves me wrong.

Even if his all round play is poor his set pieces are fantastic. Our set pieces have been mediocre all year.

He's also fallen out of favour at Huddersfield and clearly nobody has put an arm round his shoulders - he was one of their best players last season.

1 minute ago, rigger said:

My answer to your first point is YES. What do you want, a placatory speech, then sweep it under the carpet ?

I want him to be involved with updating the processes so they're idiot proof. Ideally I'd like to see the Club Secretary removed from his role too, but again that's beyond his power to control.