BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

7 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I assume that's why Mowbray was let go - he alienated players.

Brereton-Diaz's head has been turned for a while, not sure what JDT and Broughton could do about that.

There was a complete ban on increased expenditure during COVID including on players contracts. When it came to the point where contracts where offered players had ~12 months left (some with year options) and realised they had plenty of options. It’s piss poor management. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

You might want to remove Sheffield United from your list seeing as they're being handed a transfer ban for failing to pay fees they owe.

Here's the thing though, they are going to walk promotion with the expensive squad they can't afford.  They get the prem money next year and then they can afford it.  

To some clubs it's a risk worth taking.

• Like 2

I don't think players not signing new contracts is a sign that things aren't great around Ewood or the club and they all want out. I could be wrong but I imagine it's purely financially, I get the impression that most that have left recently would have stayed if we stumped up or had better contracts in place. 

Simple fact is we are making it easy for them to look elsewhere when if they were tied into a contact it wouldn't be on the forefront of their minds. It's down to poor management from the powers that be at Ewood. When they get into their last 12 months of their contracts their eye starts to wonder.

Sends an awful message too when they haven't been approached to sign a new deal when other clubs are showing them love and better terms than us. Not having to pay a fee makes them alot more attractive to other teams, an issue we could avoid if they had 2-4 year deals. It deters teams and keeps your assets alot more secure, make it a little easier to swallow if they do go but you get a suitable fee to soften the blow.

• Like 1

Diaz should have been sold in the summer. The 4 players leaving on free transfers represent a grand restart for Rovers. We're starting from square one. We're fortunate to have some good academy players. But we're going to have to be shrewd. 

In my honest opinion if this 'journey' is ever going to bear fruit, we really need to strike lucky with a player who can be sold for big money. Whatever the plan is, its difficult to achieve anything without an influx of cash. Hopefully Raya moves for big money in the summer which would provide some wiggle room.

38 minutes ago, Gav said:

Waggott tells everyone what they want to hear, you should know that by now.

If I was in his shoes I'd resign to be honest Paul, what is the point of being in that position when you're got little or no influence over arguably the most important aspect of the job. 

Armatures the lot of them.  

I accept that he could’ve lied to me but it was an impassioned plea from him in spite of me not pushing him…

He spoke very openly about how crap Nyambe’s advisors were, about a conversation he’d had with Lenihan, who apparently thought he’d get a premier league move which Waggott laughed off. He was ADAMANT that Rothwell would be sold if he didn’t sign and indicated there was interest in him.

I also know for a fact (basically the horses mouth) that the Rothwell to Bournemouth deal was done last Jan and replacements lined up (Dembele & Jed Wallace) - that deal was torched by Venkys.

As I say, I’m not sticking up for Waggott but his bosses can’t put him in the firing line for decisions he isn’t empowered to make. Which is probably why they haven’t sacked him!

Completely agree that anyone with any self respect would’ve resigned, but I guess £300k a year ain’t too bad for what’s practically an administrator role!? 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

He spoke very openly about how crap Nyambe’s advisors were, about a conversation he’d had with Lenihan, who apparently thought he’d get a premier league move which Waggott laughed off.

I don;'t know the man but he shouldn't have laughed at Lenihan. All players are proud of their ability and have ambitions and Lenihan was not unreasonable in hoping for a top flight move. There are plenty of defenders worse than him in the Premier League

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

I don;'t know the man but he shouldn't have laughed at Lenihan. All players are proud of their ability and have ambitions and Lenihan was not unreasonable in hoping for a top flight move. There are plenty of defenders worse than him in the Premier League

I agree, it felt a little unnecessary. Afterwards, my friend (A Sheff United fan) asked if I knew Waggott, such was his openness and relaxed conversation.

But for the record, I do think Lenihan was dreaming that he could get a move to the PL and I can’t think of a single defender in the PL who isn’t better than him. Hyam is MILES better than DL and I don’t think he’s good enough..

49 minutes ago, Mercer said:

If correct, and personally I don't trust Waggott, what self respecting CEO would put up with that cr@p.  You should have asked him why he hadn't therefore resigned!

Erm, I'll give you 300,000 reasons why there might be a smidgeon of hesitation on Waggot's part. (£ that is)

33 minutes ago, J*B said:

There was a complete ban on increased expenditure during COVID including on players contracts. When it came to the point where contracts where offered players had ~12 months left (some with year options) and realised they had plenty of options. It’s piss poor management. 

Exactly this, Nyambe, Lenihan, Rothwell BBD allowed to walk out for nothing, an abortive attempt to flog off the training ground, what exactly does he have to do to get sacked.

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think it is a bit naive to even assume that someone on the money that he is on and unlikely to get a job close to his current salary would leave due for those reasons.

It may seem a big salary to the average man/woman in the street, but in footballing terms it’s not and I know plenty of CEO’s outside football on that sort of cash and more. 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I accept that he could’ve lied to me but it was an impassioned plea from him in spite of me not pushing him…

He spoke very openly about how crap Nyambe’s advisors were, about a conversation he’d had with Lenihan, who apparently thought he’d get a premier league move which Waggott laughed off. He was ADAMANT that Rothwell would be sold if he didn’t sign and indicated there was interest in him.

I also know for a fact (basically the horses mouth) that the Rothwell to Bournemouth deal was done last Jan and replacements lined up (Dembele & Jed Wallace) - that deal was torched by Venkys.

As I say, I’m not sticking up for Waggott but his bosses can’t put him in the firing line for decisions he isn’t empowered to make. Which is probably why they haven’t sacked him!

Completely agree that anyone with any self respect would’ve resigned, but I guess £300k a year ain’t too bad for what’s practically an administrator role!? 🤷🏽‍♂️

The problem with that touching little tale of self pity he spun you  is that Waggott and Mowbray had a very healthy one off transfer budget made available to them by the owners for last January which they opted not to use.

Irrespective of any Rothwell sale.

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The problem with that touching little tale of self pity he spun you  is that Waggott and Mowbray had a very healthy one off transfer budget made available to them by the owners for last January which they opted not to use.

Irrespective of any Rothwell sale.

Rubbish, it’s the same healthy budget myth being perpetuated right now and you’re falling for it, again…..

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

Anyhow, two strikers needed now ideally I'd say.

Not that out crack recruitment team are even capable of finding one. The army of analysts will feed a list of criteria into the computer, wait for it to crunch the results and then provide us with a list of players we can't afford.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

The ban on increased expenditure came from the owners - so how is that a reason for firing Steve Waggott ?

Rubbish. Mowbray himself admitted in the press they opted not to offer any new contract extensions during Covid as he thought it wouldn't come across well in the prevailing climate and might unsettle the other players

Edited by RevidgeBlue

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Anyhow, two strikers needed now ideally I'd say.

Realistically, I can't see more than one striker being brought in. Gallagher, Vale, and A.N. Other for one position in the starting XI doesn't financially lend itself to two strikers being brought in during this window.

Edited by goozburger

1 minute ago, goozburger said:

Realistically, I can't see more than one striker being brought in. Gallagher, Value, and A.N. Other for one position in the starting XI doesn't financially lend itself to two strikers being brought in during this window.

Realistically I don't see any coming in but I still think ideally we need two. Gallagher and Vale are absolutely useless and we might not be able to rely on BBD for goals if the rumours about him signing a pre contract agreement are true.

Difficult to see where a goal may come from in this squad now unless Dack chips in with a few.

Fuming about the handling of the whole BBD situation. Humiliating really…

Anyway - he’s been off his game for a while now, and I doubt he’ll be of much use to us for this back end of the season with Spain on his mind.

We need to try and move him now, super low - tell Villarreal he can be theirs now for what, £3/4m?

Doubt Ben will want to move yet though, with the baby and whatnot.

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 3

Brereton has been off form - perhaps this Spain move has been weighing on his mind? On the other hand he lost form in the 2nd half of last season, albeit after a bad injury.

I'm optimistic now his future is settled he'll put his tripe out in the last few months at Ewood. He seems a genuinely nice lad who's enjoyed his time with us and he'll want to do the right thing and give the fans a reason to remember him in the right way by banging in a few goals 

• Like 2

I’m not sure why anyone believes the owners wouldn’t have just seen it as an opportunity to not send over this season’s £20 million subsidy, as they did with Armstrong’s fee and when we were selling Samba et al.

I suspect they saw the “loss of £20 million” as a £20 million bet on going up last season - not bad odds given the riches on offer.