BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Appeal to EFL

14 minutes ago, Feed the Yak said:

Question is, do we want him for the half dozen or so games that he'll likely be fit enough to play now that the £10mil promo clause might end up being activated after all...

If we signed him on promotion, O Brien would take Mortons squad place, so in my opinion , yes it would be worth it.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

O'Brien would be comfortably our best midfielder so I can't see the downside of the potential scenario of a player coming in, helping us to a lucrative promotion and signing a long term deal as our best midfielder.

The O’Brien of last season would comfortably have been our best midfield player without a doubt. . What’s worrying me is the amount of time since he last kicked a ball in anger. We can’t afford to lose any ground at the moment if we want to stay in the top six. Would we lose momentum while we assimilate him into the team ? 

I’m old enough to remember City signing Rodney Marsh who was going to be the final piece of the jigsaw. Fitting him into the team caused a stumble when they were well on the way to winning the league. By time they had got him up to speed they got pipped at the post.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

How can him being potentially the difference between the play offs and not be "not worth all this faffing about?"

Because I think Travis Buckley and Wharton are more than good enough.  It will take weeks for O'brien to get up to speed 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Because I think Travis Buckley and Wharton are more than good enough.  It will take weeks for O'brien to get up to speed 

The getting up to speed argument is a seperate one and is perhaps somewhat justified although Wharton is far from up to speed and has barely played many minutes all season, so there is inconsistency there.

But Burnley have Josh Brownhill who is good enough, I doubt they would turn down De Bruyne though!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The getting up to speed argument is a seperate one and is perhaps somewhat justified although Wharton is far from up to speed and has barely played many minutes all season, so there is inconsistency there.

But Burnley have Josh Brownhill who is good enough, I doubt they would turn down De Bruyne though!

True 

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

O'Brien would be comfortably our best midfielder so I can't see the downside of the potential scenario of a player coming in, helping us to a lucrative promotion and signing a long term deal as our best midfielder.

It really is as simple as that. Great post.

12 minutes ago, BigBar said:

You would hope if it's heard Tuesday that you would hope to have a verdict within 24-48 hours. 

We should have had a verdict within 24 hours of the window shutting. Isn't the Tuesday deadline just for the Rovers to present their case. Then the EFL get a certain amount of time to present theirs ? 

Edited by rigger

20 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Would we want him on promotion ? Is he good enough for the Premier League ? Forest took only 6 months to decide they wanted to move him on.

In my opinion, yes we would want O'Brien. What Forest think of him, has no bearing what-so-ever on how he would perform for us.   

6 minutes ago, rigger said:

In my opinion, yes we would want O'Brien. What Forest think of him, has no bearing what-so-ever on how he would perform for us.   

But Forest is the only indicator in his career so far by which to judge his Premier League contribution. There are a lot of players who are good enough to get their club promoted to the Premier League but not good enough to keep them there.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

We should have had a verdict within 24 hours of the window shutting. Isn't the Tuesday deadline just for the Rovers to present their case. Then the EFL get a certain amount of time to present theirs ? 

Not sure. The saga seems to be never ending. Oddly not arsed at this stage.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

I doubt the club is capable of this level of thinking but maybe they want to be able to say ‘look how much we wanted you’ in the hope that he’ll sign for next season (if still in the championship and if Forest would still deal with us!)

I doubt if we would have anything like £10m available in the transfer market nor would we be able to put together a remuneration package that would match anything like he's on at Forest in the Premier League.

2 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I doubt if we would have anything like £10m available in the transfer market nor would we be able to put together a remuneration package that would match anything like he's on at Forest in the Premier League.

I certainly agree with that but I meant the same deal as the one which was agreed this time.

14 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You made a very good and excellent point there that the O'Brien if we did sign him would be our best midfielder. 

4 hours ago, rigger said:

EFL make their case on the same day. Hopefully a decision within 24 hours. The EFL needs to reform his transfer decisions procedure and decisions on transfers and if they are late or not should be done and sort within 48 hours by independent person or committee of 3. This has gone on for a month. I'm pleased Rovers have kept pursing it and given what we spent on legal fees it proves some people opinion that they are just done for show. They clearly think they have a case and the lawyers we are using must think so aswell.  

3 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Would we want him on promotion ? Is he good enough for the Premier League ? Forest took only 6 months to decide they wanted to move him on.

Given that Forest have spent what they have and signed over 25 players shows their chaos transfer policy. 

Yes Rovers would be much stronger with O'Brien in the squad than not

3 hours ago, BigBar said:

Not sure. The saga seems to be never ending. Oddly not arsed at this stage.

I went from being very arsed, to not arsed to being quite arsed again after our recent run of form. 

Until these 3 wins on the bounce I was of the opinion O'brien would be a great addition but we'd ultimately still fall short of the playoffs. Given the position we've worked ourselves into he really could be the extra 10% which sees us over the line.

• Like 1