BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Appeal to EFL

As well as O'Brien, I feel for both Brierley and Rochdale.

It sounds like we'll sign him regardless, but from what I understand, Rochdale had a few players lined up with the money they were going to get from us.

Although chances of survival were slim, you have to think this just added a nail to the coffin. I'd hope in good faith we maybe offer a bit extra in some way to apologise for the cockup and keep good faith with them.

Edited by TugaysMarlboro
  • Like 1

We certainly seem to be a very dysfunctional club.

From what I read on here, if JDT wanted players recruiting during the recent opening of the transfer window, he had a higher priority for strengthening other positions in the squad than even as quality a midfielder O'Brien is said to be.

The club had had plenty of warning that the window would be closing shortly after the final whistle had blown in an away game the best part of 100 miles away from Ewood.

As I sometimes write in posts on here, I am so far from being ITK that - in this case - I don't know how the club office staff operates. So I don't know if it's a perk of the office staff's jobs that they can go to away games for free, if they want to.
Whether it is or not, surely someone in the club's hierarchy - yes, Mr. Waggott, I am thinking of you - should have said, "We will need some staff in the office until 11.00 pm in order to ensure that any transfers which are pending that evening can be processed smoothly and before the transfer deadline."

It certainly seems that nobody took responsibility - for establishing such an arrangement. Consequently, and even though someone at the EFL wanted an answer to a highly unlikely hypothetical question, we have been found responsible for two transfers not going through before the deadline.

There could be quite a lot of reputational damage for the club in future transfer windows following this sad business. I don't expect the club's CEO to understand this; unlike us, he probably isn't a fan of the club. But for me - and I would be surprised if I were the only fan to feel like this - this episode has taken the edge off what JDT appears to be achieving with the players.

Unfortunate and deflating, though not unexpected, news after the high of last night.

Only good thing to come of this is a realisation we are utterly shambolic and dysfunctional behind the scenes and change is made.

O’brien is a quality player who would have made a big difference….in January. It’s now March. I feel for the lad though.

Bigger concern is the potential impact on JDT and if he moves on at the end of the season.

• Like 1

I can't add any more of use to the many good posts made this evening.

Well done to @Atko's Engine for promptly emailing Waggott again.

My hope now is that the push all the way to arbitration was to save the necks of Waggott and Sylvester and that now it has failed the axe will fall swifty and sharply on those most deserving necks.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I can't add any more of use to the many good posts made this evening.

Well done to @Atko's Engine for promptly emailing Waggott again.

My hope now is that the push all the way to arbitration was to save the necks of Waggott and Sylvester and that now it has failed the axe will fall swifty and sharply on those most deserving necks.

Here's hoping.

• Like 1

Have to say I'm very disappointed with the reasoning put forward in the appeal. The fact we took it as far as we did made me think there was something in it but all we did was try and argue a pedantic point about the deadline and then give a sob story about staff being in the  wrong place. I felt embarrassed reading the appeal and can't beleive we wasted the legal fees on it. 

Would have preferred Broughton came out admitted the cock up and made changes to make sure it doesn't happen again. 

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Have to say I'm very disappointed with the reasoning put forward in the appeal. The fact we took it as far as we did made me think there was something in it but all we did was try and argue a pedantic point about the deadline and then give a sob story about staff being in the  wrong place. I felt embarrassed reading the appeal and can't beleive we wasted the legal fees on it. 

Would have preferred Broughton came out admitted the cock up and made changes to make sure it doesn't happen again. 

Does Broughton actually have that remit or can he only suggest changes to the very people that cocked up?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

In the days after the window ended Broughton said he accepted full responsibility. His next interview will be interesting.

21 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

Does Broughton actually have that remit or can he only suggest changes to the very people that cocked up?

I don't know to be honest. I was going off the fact he said the buck stops with him and that he would look at the process. However the company secretary and team have a lot to answer for which I wouldn't think is within the remit of DoF. 

I can't tell where the blame lies, it's a transfer failing so you'd immediately think it was Broughton and team but it also feels like we were into the legalities and admin side of things. 

• Like 1

Have read the report in full.  I  think it's an absolute embarrassment for Rovers.

Almost certainly costs will be awarded against Rovers and given widespread use of KC in addition to other legals, would think cost of this will  run into six figures.

It's damming and, IMO, both Waggott and Silvester have to go for such a farce, it's indefensible.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

In the days after the window ended Broughton said he accepted full responsibility. His next interview will be interesting.

His "external" factors were bullshit.

I suspect GB will be the one forced by those higher up to face the media.

It's all been about kicking the can, times a healer and face saving.

They knew they had no chance at appeal or at arbitration.

My prediction is that no one will be reprimanded let alone punished.

• Like 2

Heads should roll for this. Broughton now needs to do another interview and explain what happened.

At most large organisations the CEO takes ultimate responsibility but Waggott has successfully layered the operation over the last 12 months so that there are countless other fall guys along the way and he gets to hide away in the shadows. Convenient.

Makes me wonder on how many more occasions this sort of fiasco has occurred over the years but where we haven't bothered or had grounds to appeal it. I suspect quite few.

Two big takeaways from it though 

The manager and team have been let down big time. You might get away with that behaviour with a Mowbray or Bowyer in the hot seat but not with an ambitious bloke. 

Secondly it will make other players and clubs think twice about doing business with us moving forwards. We can ill afford such a reputation if we've no money to throw at the problem. We need everything going our way.

Never mind, Waggott's getting his bonus this year as his revenue targets are hit. Who cares about the rest?

• Like 4

I expect the club will pay legal costs for the EFL. Perhaps the costs won't stop there, either. Step forward Lewis O'Brien, his representatives, and Nottingham Forest.

It's far from over in the worst way possible. O'Brien won't set foot in Brockhall ever again. Thanks Steve, Gregg, and Ian. Resign. Now.

• Like 2

I know I have said this a million times but Steve Waggott should not be our CEO. If we as a club are always looking to improve we need to be looking for the best people for each job. 

In his previous clubs he was the CEO for Coventry when they were relegated with their awful previous owner and Charlton when they went into administration, ground sharing,  fan protests!!

Do people think it is coincidence this man has worked for some of the worst owners throughout the football league. No no, he found his level, being employed as the stooge for horrendous owners.  Until the day that Waggott goes nothing truly good can come to our club.

The top comment on the telegraph (from a dingle)  the day he joined summed it up perfectly and nothing has changed since

Steve Waggott: "This is my fifth club." "The first one was Charlton Athletic... We got relegated, tough times" "after that I moved to Coventry City for four very tough years." "I went for a short while to Gillingham" "I did a short stint with Southend" "Then I came to Blackburn."

There's real pedigree there.. What an absolute shambles. You really could not make this stuff up! It's no wonder your club is utterly shafted.

Edited by CambridgeRover
  • Like 2

I do wonder who is ultimately responsible for this fiasco.

The excuses are on a 'dog ate my homework' level:

The one about there being a match on in B'ham as a reason for the medical in Blackburn being late is truly embarrassing. 

The one about the Sec Team being in the wrong place is laughable. 

And then they all had a nap for an hour or two and forgot to send in LOB's signed contract. 

I feel a bit of sympathy for GB as I thought his interview a few weeks ago was a bit 'I take full responsibility but it wasn't me who fucked up'. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Roverthechimp said:

Anyone else get the feeling that Broughton will be deemed responsible and removed/resign in the summer so that the circus can carry on?

Now we know why he wasn’t exactly comfortable doing the video about the appeal/failed transfers

I think if they wanted to do that they shouldn’t have gone to arbitration because we can now all see in black and white that it wasn’t (solely) his fault