BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Don't buy it - not exactly going to admit it, are they? Won't get another kid from Liverpool if they do. Think I'd rather they didn't anyway, Elliott aside, not exactly torn up trees, have they? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Where's this from? 

Taken from LancsLive.

Broughton: "We know what Tyler allowed us to do and develop. I had been asked by supporters on the street if he was only playing because of a clause, let's get that off the table, that was not the case. He was selected on merit, what he was doing in training and in games. He was a fantastic person and a player, we were devastated to see him get injured, it was a pleasure to work with him."

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Don't buy it - not exactly going to admit it, are they?

Given that Rovers are an attractive option for Premier League clubs to send their loan players to, I'm not convinced we would have a gun held over our heads about playing time. It does seem like we have the upper hand in that regard.

• Like 1

I believe that to be honest.

Morton will have been a nice boy in training, work hard and help put the cones away after. Maybe Wharton was a bit lazy?

Not saying I agree with Morton playing over Adam by the way, JDT clearly monitors players in training closely though and it influences team selection. 

14 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Morton will have been a nice boy in training, work hard and help put the cones away after. Maybe Wharton was a bit lazy?

Unless a youngster on loan is outstanding, like Elliott and van Hecke were, I think they aren't going to be overly liked by the supporters because they'll be seen as blocking our own talent from our own superb academy. That's just the way it goes. I'd like to think we won't be doing it too often if we can get more permanent signings than usual and keep blooding the academy talent.

As for Wharton, there were rumours that he wasn't pulling his weight in training earlier on in the season. I don't know how true that was, and while we all know he is pure talent on match-day, who knows what goes on behind the scenes?

1 hour ago, goozburger said:

Taken from LancsLive.

Broughton: "We know what Tyler allowed us to do and develop. I had been asked by supporters on the street if he was only playing because of a clause, let's get that off the table, that was not the case. He was selected on merit, what he was doing in training and in games. He was a fantastic person and a player, we were devastated to see him get injured, it was a pleasure to work with him."

He may have been picked 'on merit' but Broughton doesn't actually say there was no clause !

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Crimpshrine said:

He may have been picked 'on merit' but Broughton doesn't actually say there was no clause !

Exactly what I was going to say. It’s a ‘clever’ answer by someone I am learning is very clever about what he says.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Egg lost me at 'fantastic' player.

He lost me at 'selected on merit...in games'. Anyone who couldn't see there were light years between Wharton and Morton on match day, in favour of the former, can't spot a CM. What happens in training is scant consolation if you can't deliver it consistently on a match day.

One of my biggest fears for this window is that we try to get Morton back and Wharton gets benched again.

• Like 2

Morton was very unimpressive during his loan spell. Maybe JDT's tactics didn't suit him, or he just wasn't good enough. Either way, it feels like GB is talking out of his arse. It's not in his interest to publicly declare that he made a poor signing. He would also not admit to agreeing to pay financial penalties for not starting Morton.  Definitely hoping for better loan signings in the summer. 

• Like 2

The Morton loan didn't benfit us at all.

Elliott was obviously a good player and did well for us but even he wasn't the finished article.

I remember when he gave a goal away against Reading by trying to dribble out of defence. The commentator siad 'That's why these young players get loaned out - to get these mistakes out of the way and go back to their parent club a better player"

I would much rather our own younsters learned from first team football and then we benfit form their growing experience - not some other club.

• Like 3

To be fair to the lad, he was really young with very little experience.

He was asked to do the role of a seasoned pro. It was like putting the apprentice on the job without anyone there to really guide him and expecting him to do the same job as someone who's been doing the job for 20 years. 

Not everyone thrives and does well when they're just chucked in at the deep end.

15 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

To be fair to the lad, he was really young with very little experience.

He was asked to do the role of a seasoned pro. It was like putting the apprentice on the job without anyone there to really guide him and expecting him to do the same job as someone who's been doing the job for 20 years. 

Not everyone thrives and does well when they're just chucked in at the deep end.

Really young, inexperienced, apprentice, not everyone thrives ... and GB says he was picked due to performance.

Complete bollocks

And most importantly not a Rover.

The loan achieved nothing of benefit to us.

• Like 5

• 5 months later...

Morton played well in the parts of the Eng U21 v NI U21 match I saw yesterday but it was very one-sided with NI not having a single shot on target - and barely able to make three consecutive passes.

Morton played the holding role, and stroked the ball about comfortably and took his strike through a crowded box well. However, it really was no test and he wasn't made to work defensively.

Harvey Elliott looked very good, albeit, I think forcing things too often with long passes and dropping deep. It is remarkable to think, once again, that Elliott was not always selected by Mowbray and when he was, it was as a winger/forward. Moreover, we couldn't make the play-offs with Armstrong, Brereton-Diaz (was he Diaz at that time), Rothwell and Elliott. We had Harwood-Bellis in defence alongside Lenihan, as well.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1