BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

He’s young, developing and making mistakes, par for the course with young lads. Which if he’s our academy grad, fine. But he isn’t.

It reminds me of when we appointed Bowyer, he was also a rookie that made errors, and it cost us promotion.

I’m all for loans if they fundamentally improve the side and are better than what you have. Elliot being a prime example or Archer at Middlesbrough. This lad just isn’t.

However, if it wasn’t for Buckley’s injury or the January balls up he wouldn’t be playing. So ultimately it all comes down to mistakes in recruitment.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 8

22 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

He’s young, developing and making mistakes, par for the course with young lads. Which if he’s our academy grad, fine. But he isn’t.

It reminds me of when we appointed Bowyer, he was also a rookie that made errors, and it cost us promotion.

I’m all for loans if they fundamentally improve the side and are better than what you have. Elliot being a prime example or Archer at Middlesbrough. This lad just isn’t.

However, if it wasn’t for Buckley’s injury or the January balls up he wouldn’t be playing. So ultimately it all comes down to mistakes in recruitment.

Agreed to all this. Also was he signed by JDT? Can't remember if this was part of the old regime and wonder if we will be planning to recruit from Liverpool again this summer..

I don't think he is as bad as some of his critics suggest but fundamentally I'm against this type of loan where in truth they aren't really better than what we have. There are exceptions of course (Harvey Elliot) but essentially they are impeding the progress of our own. Mowbray loved the name dropping of a top six loanee and their club but hopefully Tomasson will realise that the grass isn't always greener.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

He obviously has some quality, but we need a different type of midfielder to him right now.

Couldn’t agree more K-Hod.

I’m still fuming at his ‘dying swan act’ at Bramall Lane in the cup. He let his team mates down, the club down and the fans down.

I’d not play him again for that reason alone.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Neilbristol said:

Starting this thread because there is A LOT of chat about him in the forum's before during and after every game.

Can we post some strengths? He gets to play a lot of games so JDT sees something in him ?

He is a tidy player on the ball, but to little effect. I can't think of too much more than that.

He rarely wins tackles because he doesn't put enough into them. He has made plenty of suicidal passes that land us in trouble. He isn't incisive enough in the final third.

I couldn't believe the stories of Dortmund being interested in Morton for £20m. That must have been rubbish, surely? While I'm sure he'll return to Liverpool with some useful experience, he's never going to be good enough for them. Harvey Elliott was sublime for us, and showed the level you need to be at in order to force your way into a Premier League's first team. Even then, I'm not convinced Elliott is the level of player they require to win trophies at the top level.

It's a ruthless world. Morton will have a decent career, but I think it will be for lower Premier League level teams at best. I can see him ending up at Bournemouth on a permanent deal in the not too-distant future.

• Like 4

gives the ball away countless times and would struggle to win the ball back from his gran,he`s at an age where he should consistently influencing games,im`e all for loans improving your side but he does`nt,id`e play garrett instead,he`s just a bigger leighton clarkson imo,there is not a hope in hell that he will ever play for liverpool`s 1st team

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

gives the ball away countless times and would struggle to win the ball back from his gran,he`s at an age where he should consistently influencing games,im`e all for loans improving your side but he does`nt,id`e play garrett instead,he`s just a bigger leighton clarkson imo there is not a hope in hell that he will ever play for liverpool`s 1st team

There should not be a hope in hell, that he plays for the Rovers first team.

• Like 3

I've rarely disliked a player as much as I dislike Morton.

You have to go back to the days of Murphy or Andrews to find a player that elicits such a reaction from me.

He's so ineffectual, but judging by his interviews "it's not the Champions League, but I need it" he's a legend in his own lunchtime and that just annoys me.

• Like 3

He tries to nick the ball in the tackle way too often for me. Really go through with the tackle and more often than not you’ll come away with the ball. I’ve seen him do that once or twice Sheff Utd being the prime example. I’ve yet to see him go past a player or leave one on their arse a la Tugay v Gerrard. 

As Mrs Shoelaces once said about another player - his legs look like they’re pinned onto the bottom of his shorts.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Even if he was our player we'd be complaining that he hasn't kicked on at all this year despite playing the majority of games.

He's still soft in the tackle, he still lets players run by him from deep, he still would much rather play the ball back to the CB who's just given it to him than be brave and turn on it. 

I've no issue with the loan - at the time we had Buckley, Travis, (technically) Edun then two kids. He should always have been third choice, but Buckley and Travis have both taken time to get used to the system / get over injury / suspensions / indifferent form (but both HAVE kicked on under JDT).

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

This could be a fun place.

Maybe JDT can come in and tell us WTF he sees In this Liverpool waster.

Strengths? FA that are apparent to me.

I imagine he's a phenomenal trainer. 

As silly as that sounds, the reason Man Utd didn't sign Tevez after his loan was because he half-arsed it in training - Ferguson (THE best manager I've ever seen) had standards and didn't drop them for anyone.

He is one of two crucial positions that Broughton has failed to improve in the transfer market despite having 2 opportunities to do so. Both could cost us a play off place.

Obviously the first one is up front, first he signed Hirst then he went back and we got absolutely no one bar a pile of excuses.

I said at the time that Morton was not the type of player we needed. Our midfield is young and we were crying out for experience, Broughton talked about bringing in a player and having youngsters so it made no sense whatsoever to bring in another young player on top of that. You look around at other players at other clubs, O'Brien would have been ideal but even then, Pearson went to Stoke, Nakamba went to Luton, Chalobah went to West Brom, and beyond that, basically every play off rival has a more proven, physical and experienced midfield that you would fancy over ours.

I dont have the same problem that many do with loans, I do also think that because he is a loan player, people do go over the top. His type of contract makes no difference, the focus is now on this season, not on development for next season and beyond, so talk of him never playing again is silly. Garrett isn't better than him, Buckley is injured and I do think Adam Wharton is better but that is a curious situation. But either way, Morton probably should be in the 18 for the rest of the season. But he isn't what we needed.

• Like 1

Nobody has issues with loans, part and parcel in this division. People do however have issue when the loans are like the three we’ve seen this season.

Two that, well, not a lot else to say on them, is there, and a promising but raw young lad in an area of the pitch where we have a plethora of promising, but raw young lads. 

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He is one of two crucial positions that Broughton has failed to improve in the transfer market despite having 2 opportunities to do so. Both could cost us a play off place.

Obviously the first one is up front, first he signed Hirst then he went back and we got absolutely no one bar a pile of excuses.

I said at the time that Morton was not the type of player we needed. Our midfield is young and we were crying out for experience, Broughton talked about bringing in a player and having youngsters so it made no sense whatsoever to bring in another young player on top of that. You look around at other players at other clubs, O'Brien would have been ideal but even then, Pearson went to Stoke, Nakamba went to Luton, Chalobah went to West Brom, and beyond that, basically every play off rival has a more proven, physical and experienced midfield that you would fancy over ours.

I dont have the same problem that many do with loans, I do also think that because he is a loan player, people do go over the top. His type of contract makes no difference, the focus is now on this season, not on development for next season and beyond, so talk of him never playing again is silly. Garrett isn't better than him, Buckley is injured and I do think Adam Wharton is better but that is a curious situation. But either way, Morton probably should be in the 18 for the rest of the season. But he isn't what we needed.

You say he's better than Garrett, but only one of those has taken a game by the scruff of the neck this season and it wasn't the Liverpool loanee.

12 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Nobody has issues with loans, part and parcel in this division. People do however have issue when the loans are like the three we’ve seen this season.

Two that, well, not a lot else to say on them, is there, and a promising but raw young lad in an area of the pitch where we have a plethora of promising, but raw young lads. 

The loan market has been an epic fail this season. Morton, Hirst, Mola and Thomas have not really improved the squad certainly not compared to what we already had whereas Burnley, Sheffield United and Middlesbrough have hugely improved their squad with loans. I don't believe ours have scored a goal between them and single digit assists.

A meagre return from Broughton and his recruitment team. They simply have to do better.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Neilbristol said:

Not a bad call..maybe he will be loaned out there next season?

Not sure the Italians or Spanish will have any time for a waster who gives the ball away stupidly and puts their teams under pressure.

I feel we have beeen guilty of seeing the success of the Elliot loan and thinking "we can get another Liverpool loan, what could possibly go wrong"

• Like 2