BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

37 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

As long as they improve you at all, even if it is as part of the squad.

You look at Sheffield United, Doyle and McAtee are not massive improvements on Berge, Norwood and Fleck but they give them such good depth to have those 5 options and compliment existing experience.

Morton was not what we needed though.

I'd say young mcatee is an upgrade on any of those you mention,  quality that lad.  Luton have his brother from Grimsby coming in, one we should have seen and sorted out, fairly local lad, kept tabs on both their careers since very early.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Morton has been an ok loan - I'd have no complaints if he was sat on the bench bolstering the squad behind Travis, Buckley, Garrett and A. Wharton. Unfortunately he seemed to be undroppable for much of the season.

Thomas has been a very good loan - he provides pace, physicality, excellent delivery and width to the team. I've no idea how many official assists he has, he's been a big contributor in his short time here. 

The jury is still out for me on Thomas. He runs down too many cul-de-sacs and his crossing and set pieces haven't yielded much.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Hasta said:

The more we watch him, the more we see how much the O’Brien cock up has potentially cost us.

I totally agree with this. It is my big fear for the end of the season - that we will always look back at that one huge error off the pitch and know it cost us a shot at the play-offs. For me, the way to try and take control of this with what we have is to keep Morton on the bench for the rest of the season (assuming no more injuries in CM) and bring in Adam Wharton straight away. I really don't think we have anything to lose compared with keeping selecting someone else's youth project who has had more than sufficient opportunity but just isn't up to the particular demands of the Championship.

• Like 8

Morton is going to really demonstrate the value of loan moves in my opinion

There's always lots of talk about how we should send our own players down to L1 or L2 before putting them straight in. Unfortunately, not every club has the opportunity to send players out to develop. Instead, most have to take on the role of the developer. That is where we are in the pyramid of football at the moment. I think we will continue to see us loaning players from the PL. With that comes the risk that some may underperform on occasion, and then the frustration comes in that they may be blocking the path of one of our own academy graduates

Sometimes you have to trust the opinion of the professionals. They obviously see Morton as 'more ready' than the lads we have. I would say it's not an outrageous statement. At times, he has impressed and frustrated in equal measure (the first 60 against Leicester vs his last 10 minutes in the same game is a big example). But that comes with the territory of loaning players just starting their journeys in pro football

This season will be fundamental in his development. He isn't a terrible player, and looks very comfortable on the ball. A bit of a modern day player: in that he's played all his life with little contact, on perfect pitches, and has to get used to the "real game" which still exists in some form, despite being watered down over the years. That will come I think because the talent is obvious

I do think he puts himself about a bit, but in the later stages of the game his tenacity fades and it really brings his weaknesses out. He isn't a 90 minute player for me. With all that said I think he will have a career in the top leagues, and do think given time he will work the inconsistencies out of his game. Unfortunately we won't benefit from that in any way

Edited by Dreams of 1995

7 hours ago, arbitro said:

The jury is still out for me on Thomas. He runs down too many cul-de-sacs and his crossing and set pieces haven't yielded much.

Hardly surprising when we have strikers in name only who usually can't read the game sufficiently well to get on the end of the deliveries.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Morton is going to really demonstrate the value of loan moves in my opinion

There's always lots of talk about how we should send our own players down to L1 or L2 before putting them straight in. Unfortunately, not every club has the opportunity to send players out to develop. Instead, most have to take on the role of the developer. That is where we are in the pyramid of football at the moment. I think we will continue to see us loaning players from the PL. With that comes the risk that some may underperform on occasion, and then the frustration comes in that they may be blocking the path of one of our own academy graduates

Sometimes you have to trust the opinion of the professionals. They obviously see Morton as 'more ready' than the lads we have. I would say it's not an outrageous statement. At times, he has impressed and frustrated in equal measure (the first 60 against Leicester vs his last 10 minutes in the same game is a big example). But that comes with the territory of loaning players just starting their journeys in pro football

This season will be fundamental in his development. He isn't a terrible player, and looks very comfortable on the ball. A bit of a modern day player: in that he's played all his life with little contact, on perfect pitches, and has to get used to the "real game" which still exists in some form, despite being watered down over the years. That will come I think because the talent is obvious

I do think he puts himself about a bit, but in the later stages of the game his tenacity fades and it really brings his weaknesses out. He isn't a 90 minute player for me. With all that said I think he will have a career in the top leagues, and do think given time he will work the inconsistencies out of his game. Unfortunately we won't benefit from that in any way

The loan market is a very potentially fruitful one for Championship clubs with limited resources, but Morton as a young midfielder was not what we needed in that position. You look even at the top 2, Sheffield United loaned in McAtee and Doyle who are obviously better than Morton but also compliment the experienced midfielders that they already have. Burnley have loaned a number of players but they also have the likes of Cork, Brownhill, Gudmundson, Rodriguez, Barnes, Taylor and Roberts providing plenty of experience, and even then, Harwood Bellis and Maatsen already have had loan spells in this division.

Broughton and co have failed us in midfield as they have up top. Besides Travis, we had Buckley who has some experience in general but none in central midfield and 2 at the time totally untested youngsters. It isn't just that ideally they would have found a better youngster than Morton, it is that he shouldn't have identified a youngster to compliment what we had.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Besides Travis, we had Buckley who has some experience in general but none in central midfield and 2 at the time totally untested youngsters. It isn't just that ideally they would have found a better youngster than Morton, it is that he shouldn't have identified a youngster to compliment what we had.

Factually false.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, philipl said:

My beef is when Rovers start losing their way it is often Tyler who has slowed the game down and is passing it sideways or backwards. 

Such a shame when he is one of the best passers we have.

That's how i feel about him....always looks for the ball to be passed to him but then it's either sideways,backward or back to the player who passed to him....very rarely does he do something positive

13 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i hope to god jdt does`nt try to sign him permanently in the summer😪he`s never going to get in the liverpool side and klopp with a rebuilding job could well let him go with the many that will be on their way,as a player,i really do not like him one bit

blimey mate hadn't even considered that as an option. i hope not.. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i hope to god jdt does`nt try to sign him permanently in the summer😪he`s never going to get in the liverpool side and klopp with a rebuilding job could well let him go with the many that will be on their way,as a player,i really do not like him one bit

Can you imagine if JDT offered Adam Wharton as a straight swap for Morton. I think Liverpool would snatch our hands off.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rigger said:

Can you imagine if JDT offered Adam Wharton as a straight swap for Morton. I think Liverpool would snatch our hands off.

thats my nightmare,jdt seems to really like morton,despite him being a serial ball loser,hopefully tyler thinks he`s to good for us and does`nt fancy the move

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rochdale_rover said:

Awful player

Offers absolutely nothing as a central midfielder

Can't tackle. Puts own defense under pressure constantly. Too soft. Doesn't assist . Doesn't score .

Waste of a shirt 

Apart from that not bad

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rigger said:

Every-so-often, he makes a great pass.

“I had goals coming in on loan, it’s my first loan, so I wanted to knuckle down and get what I could,” said Morton, who this week signed a new-long term contract with Liverpool.

“I wanted to work hard for whatever I got.

It’s a big shock to play this many games but I’m really happy with getting trusted this much and I’m really happy with how it’s gone."

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/23241839.tyler-morton-reveals-liverpool-appraisal-blackburn-rovers-loan/

"If you’re not used to playing 46 games a year then you should definitely not play 46 games a year because you will get injured.

“Also the next thing is to develop youngsters within our surrounding and environment."

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/23437101.jon-dahl-tomasson-gives-blackburn-rovers-injury-news-latest/

Interesting update from JDT about game time(he is not specifically in talking about Morton)

Edited by Neilbristol
Pressed send too soon