BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

If he’d come through our academy, or we’d brought him in  from a lower league club, you’d have said he had had an ok season for a 20 year old, and he will probably be an OK Championship midfielder. 

The problem is he’s played far more this season than he would have done in the above scenarios and he’s looked worse the longer the season has gone on. He had finally been taken out of the firing line but then Buckley got injured. The question is is Garrett any better? We haven’t seen him start since that mauling at Rotherham, and I’m guessing JDT thinks no he isn’t at the moment.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, arbitro said:

The loan market has been an epic fail this season. Morton, Hirst, Mola and Thomas have not really improved the squad certainly not compared to what we already had whereas Burnley, Sheffield United and Middlesbrough have hugely improved their squad with loans. I don't believe ours have scored a goal between them and single digit assists.

A meagre return from Broughton and his recruitment team. They simply have to do better.

Was Broughton involved in Morton?

Playing for a glamour club like Liverpool, he has managed 3(?) under-age England appearances, Adam Wharton has 6, Harvey Elliot had 21 by the age of 19 (a year younger than Morton)

The kid appears to be a busted flush. I suggest he will never make a senior appearance for Liverpool. Will go out on loan to a league one team next year and that will be his level.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

The loan market has been an epic fail this season. Morton, Hirst, Mola and Thomas have not really improved the squad certainly not compared to what we already had whereas Burnley, Sheffield United and Middlesbrough have hugely improved their squad with loans. I don't believe ours have scored a goal between them and single digit assists.

A meagre return from Broughton and his recruitment team. They simply have to do better.

On a par with the recruitment in the window of January 2022.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

I can't remember the last player who either gave the ball away, or got caught on the ball, as much as Morton does.

It has been a constant feature with him all season. Dwelling on the ball, having his pocket picked and our goal then subsequently being under attack.

I listened to yesterday's game on the radio and heard Andy Bayes say numerous times "Morton gives it away", " Morton with a loose pass", "Morton loses it in the middle". I don't want to pick on him, but it seems to be the same theme almost every game.

He's had some decent moments, but overall, the lad is lightweight and not the player you need in a battle for promotion.

There's no way he makes it at Liverpool, in my opinion. They have their own issues in midfield right now, but I don't think Morton will be the answer for them.

• Like 4

I’m annoyed and also worried by the performance Morton put in yesterday. After his costly antics against Sheff Utd I’d have expected him to have received an absolute bollocking from the senior players and coaching staff. Obviously that never happened because he was backing out of 70:30 challenges in his favour within 10 minutes. The fact he lasted the full game was as concerning as it was baffling. 

He will never be a useful Championship player, not only is he not robust enough, he doesn’t have the heart or desire for it. Maybe he could do well elsewhere or in a different league, but I couldn’t care less. His performances and his words suggest he isn’t bothered about what happens while he’s here as he knows he’s going back to Liverpool on a long contract. He’s been more of a hinderance than a help to us this season and is frequently a weak link.

He’d be 8th choice to partner Travis for me and I’d rather play Wharton, Garrett, JRC, Edun, Harlock, Dack or Szmodics ahead of him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, renrag said:

I certainly have issues with loans. It allows big clubs to hang on to players on inflated salaries and repeatedly loan them out to cover some, or all, of the costs. Chelsea are the prime example. If there were no loans those clubs would have to make a decision, instead of waiting for the offchance a player might be a late developer. Players would then have to find their natural level and pay grade.
IMO the loan system is one of the worst developments to come into the game and I would like to see it banned, with the possible exception of goalkeepers in an emergency

And the big clubs can take advantage of the loan system the other way. The Rags who have the second highest income in world football have Weghorst* on loan from Burnley. I don't think it's right that mega rich clubs take players on loan.

* Before anybody says it I know he is crap 😂😂

14 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I’m annoyed and also worried by the performance Morton put in yesterday. After his costly antics against Sheff Utd I’d have expected him to have received an absolute bollocking from the senior players and coaching staff. Obviously that never happened because he was backing out of 70:30 challenges in his favour within 10 minutes. The fact he lasted the full game was as concerning as it was baffling. 

He will never be a useful Championship player, not only is he not robust enough, he doesn’t have the heart or desire for it. Maybe he could do well elsewhere or in a different league, but I couldn’t care less. His performances and his words suggest he isn’t bothered about what happens while he’s here as he knows he’s going back to Liverpool on a long contract. He’s been more of a hinderance than a help to us this season and is frequently a weak link.

He’d be 8th choice to partner Travis for me and I’d rather play Wharton, Garrett, JRC, Edun, Harlock, Dack or Szmodics ahead of him.

He is a player that was totally the opposite of what we needed in an otherwise young central midfield. A lightweight youngster with minimal first team experience who has mainly played sanitised kids football for a big club.

I just cant have that he hasn't got the desire or that he isnt bothered about what happens whilst here, that IMO is really unfair. Questions about his lack of robustness are fair, he is very slight (as Buckley was even more so when he came into our team) and can be easily brushed aside. He is never going to be a brave enforcer smashing into challenges, that sort of approach has limited use anyway but he does need to become more physical. He did put in a very strong challenge that lead to our second at Sheffield United and also he did win the ball a couple of times yesterday with solid challenges but he needs to be braver and stronger more often.

Assuming he is available for loan next season, a Championship club would likely move for him, most likely one nearer the bottom. Also, some of the players you list are not better alternatives. We have mentioned Harlock, a kid about to be released and one who has never got close to the team. But even aside from that, Dack and Szmodics don't play the same position, Rankin Costello is thriving at right back in the role he gives us a totally new dimension in and Edun is horrendous especially in midfield, has Morton ever been as bad as Edun was away at Peterborough. So we are left with 4 options, a very limited and inexperienced pool and we may well need them all, but Wharton IMO shouls play v Norwich with Travis.

18 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Morton joined us on August 1st.

He did, just wondering if this was part of an old regime agreement pre- Broughton. Either way wasnt great for us and Broughton hasn't give me much hope apart from the recent contract renewals. Wonder what Klopp thinks of the kid

22 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I just cant have that he hasn't got the desire or that he isnt bothered about what happens whilst here, that IMO is really unfair. Questions about his lack of robustness are fair, he is very slight (as Buckley was even more so when he came into our team) and can be easily brushed aside. He is never going to be a brave enforcer smashing into challenges, that sort of approach has limited use anyway but he does need to become more physical. He did put in a very strong challenge that lead to our second at Sheffield United and also he did win the ball a couple of times yesterday with solid challenges but he needs to be braver and stronger more often.

I don’t think it’s unfair at all. His performances are consistently half arsed. Nobody expects him to be an enforcer, but I do expect him not to pull out of challenges - he does this far more frequently than actually making strong challenges. That Sheff Utd tackle was good, but a complete one off that is approaching Myles Anderson levels of overhype. Feigning injury and deciding to lie on the floor rather than perform his defensive duties in the biggest game in years tells me a lot about his lack of commitment to the cause. We can’t be carrying passengers now, we need nothing less than 100% from every player on the pitch for the remainder of the season, and I think every player I mentioned previously has more stomach for the fight.

The thought of Morton playing against Burnley is horrifying.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I don’t think it’s unfair at all. His performances are consistently half arsed. Nobody expects him to be an enforcer, but I do expect him not to pull out of challenges - he does this far more frequently than actually making strong challenges. That Sheff Utd tackle was good, but a complete one off that is approaching Myles Anderson levels of overhype. Feigning injury and deciding to lie on the floor rather than perform his defensive duties in the biggest game in years tells me a lot about his lack of commitment to the cause. We can’t be carrying passengers now, we need nothing less than 100% from every player on the pitch for the remainder of the season, and I think every player I mentioned previously has more stomach for the fight.

The thought of Morton playing against Burnley is horrifying.

He is obviously lightweight and it is a huge flaw in his game, but his style and the way he plays doesn't do him any favours in how people view him, aswell as the fact that he is on loan which to some is an automatic reason to make him more prone to over the top criticism.

I've said many times, I don't rate him very highly at all and he wasn't what we needed. I just think implying that he doesn't want to be here, that he isn't bothered and saying you would rather have the likes of Harlock and Edun in there is too far.

• Like 1

I can only assume it's because he's a bit more experienced than Garrett or Wharton (plus he was injured) that gives him the nod over those 2. 

But he's not contributing and in some cases costing us. He's not our player, so it seems pointless persevering with him.

With Buckley out, gotta be looking at Garrett or Wharton to come in from now on. They've both been given long term contracts, so they are what the management see as the future for the club. Time to start getting them on the pitch more to develop.

Certainly don't want to be lining up against the Dingles with Morton in our 11, it would be men against boys.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He is obviously lightweight and it is a huge flaw in his game, but his style and the way he plays doesn't do him any favours in how people view him, aswell as the fact that he is on loan which to some is an automatic reason to make him more prone to over the top criticism.

I've said many times, I don't rate him very highly at all and he wasn't what we needed. I just think implying that he doesn't want to be here, that he isn't bothered and saying you would rather have the likes of Harlock and Edun in there is too far.

For every person who is overly critical due to him being a loanee, there are two who overhype him and claim he is good purely because he is on Liverpool’s books.

His lack of commitment is evident in every game he plays at this point. What other conclusion can you draw from this other than the fact he isn’t really bothered?

I’d be more than happy to try something new in place of Morton. His contributions have done more harm than good for too long, and playing him continually only increases the chance of another moment of cowardice, naivety or laziness scuppering our playoff chances.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

He is a player that was totally the opposite of what we needed in an otherwise young central midfield. A lightweight youngster with minimal first team experience who has mainly played sanitised kids football for a big club.

Assuming he is available for loan next season, a Championship club would likely move for him, most likely one nearer the bottom. Also, some of the players you list are not better alternatives. We have mentioned Harlock, a kid about to be released and one who has never got close to the team. But even aside from that, Dack and Szmodics don't play the same position, Rankin Costello is thriving at right back in the role he gives us a totally new dimension in and Edun is horrendous especially in midfield, has Morton ever been as bad as Edun was away at Peterborough. So we are left with 4 options, a very limited and inexperienced pool and we may well need them all, but Wharton IMO shouls play v Norwich with Travis.

People are acting like every other team has a Vinny Jones patrolling the midfield.

The game is soft as fuck these days - there's no excuse to shirk a tackle. Nobody is going in with a leg breaker. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

Morton has been an ok loan - I'd have no complaints if he was sat on the bench bolstering the squad behind Travis, Buckley, Garrett and A. Wharton. Unfortunately he seemed to be undroppable for much of the season.

Thomas has been a very good loan - he provides pace, physicality, excellent delivery and width to the team. I've no idea how many official assists he has, he's been a big contributor in his short time here. 

36 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

For every person who is overly critical due to him being a loanee, there are two who overhype him and claim he is good purely because he is on Liverpool’s books.

His lack of commitment is evident in every game he plays at this point. What other conclusion can you draw from this other than the fact he isn’t really bothered?

I’d be more than happy to try something new in place of Morton. His contributions have done more harm than good for too long, and playing him continually only increases the chance of another moment of cowardice, naivety or laziness scuppering our playoff chances.

I don't think bar chaddy who thinks he has been ok/decent, that I know anyone that rates Morton.

I don't think people would conclude that if he wasn't on loan. He isn't going to stroll back into Liverpools first team so his performances this season are massive in what happens

I just don't think he is particularly good. He is very lightweight and your typical physically lacking youngster who has only really played sanitised kids football whereby there is no physicality required. He is more robust and ready than Buckley when he broke through here but still lacking and his lack of physicality coupled with naivety means that more experienced midfielders can often find it easy to bypass him.

He is ok technically and played well against Reading and for 89 minutes v Sheffield United but is not good enough or clever enough to dictate games. I don't think he has made loads of glaring errors (in Sheffield he was trying to be clever, there was also the mistake at Wigan when we were not settling well trying to pass it out and again he was too naive) but he ranges from being decent to being ineffective.

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I don't think bar chaddy who thinks he has been ok/decent, that I know anyone that rates Morton.

I don't think people would conclude that if he wasn't on loan. He isn't going to stroll back into Liverpools first team so his performances this season are massive in what happens

I just don't think he is particularly good. He is very lightweight and your typical physically lacking youngster who has only really played sanitised kids football whereby there is no physicality required. He is more robust and ready than Buckley when he broke through here but still lacking and his lack of physicality coupled with naivety means that more experienced midfielders can often find it easy to bypass him.

He is ok technically and played well against Reading and for 89 minutes v Sheffield United but is not good enough or clever enough to dictate games. I don't think he has made loads of glaring errors (in Sheffield he was trying to be clever, there was also the mistake at Wigan when we were not settling well trying to pass it out and again he was too naive) but he ranges from being decent to being ineffective.

I don't think even Chaddy believes that Morton is good for our team. I think Chaddy just agrees with everything JDT says.

• Like 1

I disagree with a few views on him, he is and will be a quality player. Yes he has made mistakes but so have many Rovers players this season. He has an eye for a killer pass much like Buckley does but less is the bite in the tackle. He is fitter than either Wharton or Garrett ,more mobile and quicker. For those who still think there is an appearance clause, there isn’t nor us there ever with a Liverpool/Rovers loan.

• Like 1

Is it possible to access, for free, detailed stats on Morton.

Stuff like:

Tackles won, aerial duels won, forward passes as a PC of all passes, same for sideways/ backwards, passes under 5 and 10 yards, passes over 10 yards, and the most intriguing of all, the number of "killer passes" ..... I am going to assumes that it is not a "killer" in the sense of "suicidal" pass.

Apparently he's a top trainer, just a pity he can't do it in match play.

As an add on Morton would not make the bench at Luton or Millwall.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

I agree with others. I'm all for bringing in loans if they are a clear improvement on what we've got. Archer, Tella, Smallbone, McAtee are just a few off the top of my head. Most sides performing well in this league have a good few loans propping them up. Morton just isn't it. 

He may go on to have an ok career, but he's a million miles away from being a Premier League player. 

The comparison may sound silly, but if you look at Gavi at Barcelona, he shows what a pint sized player can do with the right attitude. Obviously he's an unbelievable footballer but what I mean by this is that he's a scrapper. Would kick his Nan to win a game. There was a game recently where he literally headed the ball off of an opponents foot. Whereas Morton does what he did at Sheffield United and far less glaringly obvious examples week in week out.

VideoCapture_20230402-214225.jpg

FB_IMG_1680381561523.jpg

Edited by ben_the_beast

As long as they improve you at all, even if it is as part of the squad.

You look at Sheffield United, Doyle and McAtee are not massive improvements on Berge, Norwood and Fleck but they give them such good depth to have those 5 options and compliment existing experience.

Morton was not what we needed though.

• Like 1