BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

9 minutes ago, superniko said:

The most worrying part of all that is he’d want to spend 2 and half million British pounds on Sorba Thomas 

Dead right. He’s not worth £2.50p. What a waste of space he was when he was here on loan. He couldn’t even land a corner and he was supposed to be good at that. It’d make the money we spent on Wahlstadt look a bargain.

33 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

McGuire has told Orlando he won't a new contract and his contract ends at end of 2024. I don't know where you get that there is club option for 2 more seasons. The LT ran the story that McGuire won't sign a new contract and free to leave at end of the season. 

Could be wrong, but don't know why it would be: 

image.thumb.png.656136e76fcb1ca6806b9c90e51b0832.png

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Dead right. He’s not worth £2.50p. What a waste of space he was when he was here on loan. He couldn’t even land a corner and he was supposed to be good at that. It’d make the money we spent on Wahlstadt look a bargain.

9 assists this season for a relegated team and has pace we need. Did he get used right when he was here? 

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Could be wrong, but don't know why it would be: 

image.thumb.png.656136e76fcb1ca6806b9c90e51b0832.png

ok. Well I know McGuire has rejected a new contract offer from Orlando 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

9 assists this season for a relegated team and has pace we need. Did he get used right when he was here? 

ok. Well I know McGuire has rejected a new contract offer from Orlando 

I was pleased when we signed him on loan, my impression was that he’d looked good at Hudds. He did nothing for us, I thought he was a real disappointment. Then I was out at a social event and got talking about football to a guy who’s best mate has a son who was/is on the fringes of our first team ( no names ). He told me Thomas was a Billy Big Bollocks who thought he’d really made it and was getting on everybody’s nerves at Rovers.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was pleased when we signed him on loan, my impression was that he’d looked good at Hudds. He did nothing for us, I thought he was a real disappointment. Then I was out at a social event and got talking about football to a guy who’s best mate has a son who was/is on the fringes of our first team ( no names ). He told me Thomas was a Billy Big Bollocks who thought he’d really made it and was getting on everybody’s nerves at Rovers.

Heard similar stories about Thomas, he was also left out of Huddersfield's squad for the last game of the season as he was one of the leaders of a bunch of bad apples.

Huddersfield fans on their forum do not have a good opinion of him either

Edited by KentExile

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's is exactly what we should be doing using the Wharton's money(£7m to £10m) to bring in 4 or 5 quality signings to improve the overall quality signings. 

Selling you’re best players has never resulted in having a stronger squad as far as I remember.

• Like 3

I think you have to look at the bigger picture with the Adam Wharton deal. £20m was a reasonable price for the club & it has allowed a Blackburn Academy product to advance his career at the very top level.

That’s only going to be a positive advert for future academy recruits and if Wharton completes another season at Palace he’ll be an £80m player and we’ll get a huge cut of that.

Adam Wharton is therefore the saviour of Blackburn Rovers and the future of English football!

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, DuffsLeftPeg said:

I think you have to look at the bigger picture with the Adam Wharton deal. £20m was a reasonable price for the club & it has allowed a Blackburn Academy product to advance his career at the very top level.

That’s only going to be a positive advert for future academy recruits and if Wharton completes another season at Palace he’ll be an £80m player and we’ll get a huge cut of that.

Adam Wharton is therefore the saviour of Blackburn Rovers and the future of English football!

Not really, he’s just the latest dose of chemo for a terminally sick patient.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

plenty of other teams have done it in the past 

Doesn't really happen here though, even pre venkys.

Think back to our big sales over the years and what happened to our side afterwards.

Shearer - His last season finished 7th, following season finished 13th

Duff - His last season finished 6th, following season finished 15th

Bellamy - His last season finished 6th, following season finished 10th

Bentley - His last season finished 7th, following season finished 15th

Santa Cruz - His last season finished 15th, following season finished 10th

Jones - His last season finished 15th, following season finished 19th and relegated

Cairney & Gestede - Last season finished 9th, following season finished 15th

Rhodes - His last season finished 15th, following season finished 22nd and relegated

Armstrong - His last season finished 15th, following season finished 8th

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Not really, he’s just the latest dose of chemo for a terminally sick patient.

A good, if somewhat depressing analogy!

Personally l am very happy to see a Rovers lad doing so well, he is a joy to watch & excellent to see top quality players profiting from his forward passes and bossing of the midfield.

He was wasted on Gallagher & Dolan and it would have been a crime for him to stay at this level much longer!

• Like 1

Sammy finished his “Adam didn’t want to leave…” sentence with “…but sometimes you have to” in the context of for the good of one’s career.

I still don’t understand why, if he was so obviously underpriced, one of the other 19 clubs didn’t swoop in.

And all these alternate histories being proposed could have included him doing a Dack, or indeed a Scotty, and getting some horrendous injury, perhaps twisting his neck while watching Pearsy’s endless boots up to our lead-booted ace striker.

12 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Keeper:- Johansson from Rotherham £900k or Iversen for £2m from Leicester

Right Back/Centre Midfielder:- Jamie Shackleton from Leeds free transfer. 

Right winger:- Sobra Thomas from Huddersfield £2.5m

Szmodics Replacement:- Harvey Knibbs from Reading 1.5m or Koji Miyoshi from Birmingham £2m

Striker :- Aaron Connelly from Hull free transfer or Jerry Yates from Swansea £3m or Duncan McGuire from Orlando £1m

Can you try something for me?

Take a second and try to be objective about this. Do you honestly see the club as it stands paying £2.5m on Sorba Thomas? Moreover, can you honestly say that would be a good signing?

Honestly?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, davulsukur said:

We'll be lucky to spend £700k - £1m this summer. 

We are absolutely not spending £10m+ this summer. 

People need some serious re-evaluation of their expectation levels.

Agreed. Although I think the figure to spend might be £700k-£1m less than you reckon.

4 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto Mk2 said:

I still don’t understand why, if he was so obviously underpriced, one of the other 19 clubs didn’t swoop in.

Cos alot of PL teams restricted in spending nothing due to PL FFP rules 

1 hour ago, London blue said:

Can you try something for me?

Take a second and try to be objective about this. Do you honestly see the club as it stands paying £2.5m on Sorba Thomas? Moreover, can you honestly say that would be a good signing?

Honestly?

I was asked for signings who would improve us. Thomas has 4 goals and 9 assists in 41 Championship games plus has the pace out wide we lack.

I don't think we got to see the best of him here. 

6 hours ago, DuffsLeftPeg said:

A good, if somewhat depressing analogy!

Personally l am very happy to see a Rovers lad doing so well, he is a joy to watch & excellent to see top quality players profiting from his forward passes and bossing of the midfield.

He was wasted on Gallagher & Dolan and it would have been a crime for him to stay at this level much longer!

The crime was that he didn't have decent players around him.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't think we got to see the best of him here. 

We rarely see the best of anyone here---Hurst anther example among many. Branthwaite looked an amateur here.

Steele? I could go on.....

Edited by 47er
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Tom said:

Must admit I thought at the time we’d got as much as we’d reasonably expect given his obvious potential but limited chance to show it. 

That looks more than a bit silly now but I think it would have always taken a further move before the big big money came in, his value just wouldn’t be able to skyrocket like that unless he’d have played in the premier league:

Just wish that had been with us!

It was the middle of the season, any offers that didn't begin with a 4 should have been told to fuck off.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 47er said:

We rarely see the best of anyone here---Hurst anther example among many. Branthwaite looked an amateur here.

We seen loads over the years get the best out of them. Rhodes, Gestede, Conway, Samba, Nelsen, Friedel, Shearer, Newell, Graham, MGP, etc

Thomas and Hirst we never got the best 

Branthwaite had potential and was only 18 years old. Now could be sold for £60m to United 

Edited by chaddyrovers

2 hours ago, 47er said:

I think that's a little unfair.

I could make a long list of players from the last 10-20 years who had their best spells at Rovers and subsequently underwhelmed - or at least didn't improve - elsewhere. 

Well I wasn't thinking of the last 10-20 years in my criticism. I'd kill to get back to that position where Mark Hughes seemed to be able to pluck champions off trees.

I note Chaddy's done the same----even Shearer features in his list-- as if anybody wasn't going to get a tune out of him!

No--I was thinking of more recently and I've given some good examples. Enough to justify my original conclusion I think.

Most of our loan players have been disappointing too. I mentioned Branthwaite who was a revelation when he went to Everton after being rubbish for us. Only Elliot has really looked like a top player in the making.

But galling when these look good somewhere else. What's wrong with our club?

On reflection, scrub that. Our coaching staff can't be very good apart from the Academy.

1 minute ago, 47er said:

Well I wasn't thinking of the last 10-20 years in my criticism. I'd kill to get back to that position where Mark Hughes seemed to be able to pluck champions off trees.

I note Chaddy's done the same----even Shearer features in his list-- as if anybody wasn't going to get a tune out of him!

No--I was thinking of more recently and I've given some good examples. Enough to justify my original conclusion I think.

Most of our loan players have been disappointing too. I mentioned Branthwaite who was a revelation when he went to Everton after being rubbish for us. Only Elliot has really looked like a top player in the making.

On reflection, scrub that. Our coaching staff can't be very good apart from the Academy.

I would argue Tosin, Reed and Van Hecke were all very good loans. (Granted TM played Reed out of position in favor of Richie Smallwood.....)

• Like 2

• Backroom
On 13/05/2024 at 07:22, Eddie said:

How on earth are we bringing in 4 or 5 quality players for 10 million?

Is that including wages? Let's say it isn't, you think we can average 2 million a player and get 5 quality players with it? Without even looking at how our club is run, that would be expecting us to have a 100% recruitment strategy.

Between Raya, Phillips, and Wharton, there's no excuse for there to not be 15m in the transfer kitty this summer (not including wages).

That would allow for a premium signing and a decent amount to be spent on 2 or 3 other players.

Sadly, that won't happen.

It can be done. Szmodics, Armstrong types keep the system going, while leaving approximately £6m for steadier players. Including free additions, it’s possible to use £10m effectively.

39 minutes ago, Trinidad Rover said:

I would argue Tosin, Reed and Van Hecke were all very good loans. (Granted TM played Reed out of position in favor of Richie Smallwood.....)

Agree Tosin and Van Hecke. Reed not so much.

1 hour ago, 47er said:

So, from loans we've had a few decent ones. It would be difficult to say that we saw the best of them as most of our loans are fairly young players. 

Elliott, Tosin, van Hecke, Khadra, Reed, Armstrong (as a loan), and Gallagher (if he had only stayed a loan) were probably the highlights. We've done OK, we've just been over-reliant on signing loan players to fill key first-team roles. 

But we have had plenty of players in the past 5/6 years even who we probably got the best of. Adam Armstrong, BBD (so far), Lenihan, Rothwell, Nyambe, and honestly a host of others.

I don't think we do any better or worse than most other sides in that department.