BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Pears/ Kaminski.. summer plans?

Moneyball it certainly is not.

Obviously xG is clearly very divided on here, but I thought i'd mention anyway as it can help alleviate any bias we all may have.

The column highlighted is the difference between Expected Goals Conceded vs Goals Conceded. i.e. Kaminski conceded 3.1 goals fewer than xG would suggest and Pears conceded 1.5 more.

image.thumb.png.c734483c12ee72eccec0ef299c2039c4.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Pears played the last 20 games....do we have our record of those games compared to the previous ones with Kaminski as number 1.?

Kaminski won 14 from 28 (50%) and clean sheet % of 35.7% and save % of 71.2%

Pears won 6 from 18 (33%) and clean sheet % of 27.8% and save % of 67.2%

Prob worth adding Pears had a pretty settled back 4 in front of him throughout. Kaminski had Travis RB, Phillips CB, Hedges, LB, Mola LB all on occasion.

That Burnley away game Kaminski had a back 5 of Brittain (LB), Mola, Ayala, Hyam, Hedges (RB)

Edited by superniko
  • Like 9

4 minutes ago, superniko said:

Kaminski won 14 from 28 (50%) and clean sheet % of 35.7% and save % of 71.2%

Pears won 6 from 18 (33%) and clean sheet % of 27.8% and save % of 67.2%

Prob worth adding Pears had a pretty settled back 4 in front of him throughout. Kaminski had Travis RB, Phillips CB, Hedges, LB, Mola LB all on occasion

Strange decision then to replace TK if that is the plan now that we have a fairly settled back 4

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

It is also not all about the shots stopped or goals conceded. It is more about the confidence the keeper instils in the defenders in front of him. A confident keeper and defense, defend better than a nervous one. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Two years left on TK’s deal, so this summer is the last chance for a decent fee for him, presumably stil on substantially bigger wages than AP… think we all know how this ends.

Usually we'd just let him leave for nothing, so that's an improvement.

Kaminski is a good keeper that can command a fee, but he's certainly got better in some eyes while he's been out. Can't imagine wazzing in a season ticket if he was sold. Maybe a bit of an overreaction there.

10 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

If Sharpe is saying 'TK could now seek a move' I think we can safely assume he's been given the nod that TK is off. 

Fine, as long as we get a decent fee and bring in a #1 to replace him.

Letting him go, starting Pears and having Hilton et al as the backup is shooting yourself in the foot regardless of what you do with our forward line (or lack thereof).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SBlue said:

Kaminski is a good keeper that can command a fee, but he's certainly got better in some eyes while he's been out. Can't imagine wazzing in a season ticket if he was sold. Maybe a bit of an overreaction there.

No just better than Pears, which is the only thing that matters.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

Just now, SBlue said:

It's not that I think Kaminski is as good as some of the standout GKs we've had in the last 30 years, it's that you know he's a competent Championship GK and we're pushing for the playoffs next year (by all accounts - the project is off the rails if we don't).

Pears is a decent backup, but he's not a starting quality GK in the Championship, he has too many flaws in his game.

• Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

No just better than Pears, which is the only thing that matters.

He is. But that much better that you'd get a refund on your season ticket? 🤯

I think Pears is ok. Not great but ok.

If TK doesn't want to stay past the end of his contract then I can see the logic with trying to get a profit now.

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Fine, as long as we get a decent fee and bring in a #1 to replace him.

Letting him go, starting Pears and having Hilton et al as the backup is shooting yourself in the foot regardless of what you do with our forward line (or lack thereof).

Sharpe speculated a month or two ago that he thought one of the two would leave this summer as they both wanted to be No.1 

With TK not getting a game, and Pears signing a long term deal, it suggests TK is off and pears is the new first choice. 

Could be wrong though...just putting 2+2 together. 

5 minutes ago, SBlue said:

I don't think the wazzing of the season ticket, was due to the thought of TK being sold, but of the thought of Pears being our first choice keeper.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SBlue said:

He is. But that much better that you'd get a refund on your season ticket? 🤯

I think Pears is ok. Not great but ok.

If TK doesn't want to stay past the end of his contract then I can see the logic with trying to get a profit now.

Well obviously he won’t want to stay beyond that now if he’s ended up behind someone that bang average in the pecking order.

I think Pears has been average since he’s came in. Due to his clangers in previous seasons I think if he has an ok game it makes him look better than his actual performance.

I’m always sat waiting for something to go wrong with him. Two goals have been conceded this season against Huddersfield and Millwall which I believe TK would have dealt with comfortably.

TK has been consistent for Rovers over the years and it would be a shame for him to go. He’s not had his best season but he’s still pulled off some unbelievable saves. I think the injury was probably affecting his performances, but he conceded two similar goals against Stoke and Birmingham (Cup) at home where it bounced just in front and he should have dealt with them.

If we can re-coup a fee for TK and re-invest into a goal scorer then I’ll be happy. With Pears being on the young side, I imagine we’ll be looking to improve him and sell him on in the future. I’m yet to see that Ben Benson is capable of improving our keepers but I’m happy to be proven wrong!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BRFC_Polky said:

I think Pears has been average since he’s came in. Due to his clangers in previous seasons I think if he has an ok game it makes him look better than his actual performance.

I’m always sat waiting for something to go wrong with him. Two goals have been conceded this season against Huddersfield and Millwall which I believe TK would have dealt with comfortably.

TK has been consistent for Rovers over the years and it would be a shame for him to go. He’s not had his best season but he’s still pulled off some unbelievable saves. I think the injury was probably affecting his performances, but he conceded two similar goals against Stoke and Birmingham (Cup) at home where it bounced just in front and he should have dealt with them.

If we can re-coup a fee for TK and re-invest into a goal scorer then I’ll be happy. With Pears being on the young side, I imagine we’ll be looking to improve him and sell him on in the future. I’m yet to see that Ben Benson is capable of improving our keepers but I’m happy to be proven wrong!

And Norwich's second, and Sheffield United's second. And I'm still not convinced he should've been beaten by Benson's.

8 minutes ago, rigger said:

I don't think the wazzing of the season ticket, was due to the thought of TK being sold, but of the thought of Pears being our first choice keeper.

Honestly don't think he's that bad that I'd stop going to games. Maybe just me then.

40 minutes ago, superniko said:

Moneyball it certainly is not.

Obviously xG is clearly very divided on here, but I thought i'd mention anyway as it can help alleviate any bias we all may have.

The column highlighted is the difference between Expected Goals Conceded vs Goals Conceded. i.e. Kaminski conceded 3.1 goals fewer than xG would suggest and Pears conceded 1.5 more.

image.thumb.png.c734483c12ee72eccec0ef299c2039c4.png

Telling stat that backs up what most people with 2 working eyes could see for themselves.

Just now, Sweaty Gussets said:

My guess would be not...and no, I don't particularly rate Pears either. 

Oh we won’t be. 

Such an important position and we are going down the ‘well, he’ll do’ route. 

Though that has been the motto of this club for a long time now…

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Oh we won’t be. 

Such an important position and we are going down the ‘well, he’ll do’ route. 

Though that has been the motto of this club for a long time now…

Pears hasn't made a lot of mistakes recently, but he also doesn't make a lot of saves. He's just kind of there!

• Like 1