BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Pears/ Kaminski.. summer plans?

7 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

‘Didn’t let anyone down’, ‘he’ll do’. The BRFC shrug your shoulders and plod on approach to football…

Worst part of it is it's not even true. He did let us down at times. Had a fantastic couple of months, a fairly solid one or two, then was a bit shakey in the crucial final run in. Just because he wasn't chucking it in the net a la Wigan last year, people don't seem to have noticed much. I fear our biggest achilles heel next season will be in goal if we intend to rely on him as first choice and a youth keeper as backup.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Kaminski might have asked to leave? Or he may be a waste of a wage if JDT thinks Pears is better?

I suppose we'll find out as the summer progresses if there is any money to be spent. 

I'd worry JDT was the waste of a wage if that's his opinion.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Andy said:

I'd say that Pears isn't of sufficient quality for a promotion-winning side.

But Jason Steele is first choice for a top 10 Premier League club and I was convinced that I was a better GK than him, not too many years ago.

So what the fuck do I know.

You're right, you really fucked up there - you should have tried to become a professional goalkeeper.

• Like 3

Massively concerned about the keeper situation personally. I think Kaminski is definitely our best keeper, my worry now is that Pears becomes first choice, Kaminski leaves, then complacency kicks in for Pears.

Don't get me wrong he's done slightly better than expected, but he still had to fight for his place then.

Maybe I'm being a little harsh I guess.  I have heard Kaminski has thrown the toys right out of the pram though which tarnishes his reputation a bit (although I kinda get why he feels that way).

12 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

IF Tomasson has said I want Pears as number 1, then I think he has made a monumental, point costing decision to go for a massively inferior player.

IF budget cuts have caused this decision, I think those budget cuts have already begun to hinder us on the pitch and give us an inferior team. 

IF Kaminski does stay and Pears has signed but will be number 2, I will be very happy.

On your first point I don't see anything like monumental, point costing decision you are suggested. 

on point 2, I don't budget cuts has caused this situation at all. 

on point 3, I don't think Pears would have signed a new contract if he was assured he would start the next season as number 1. Also I don't Kaminski staying here as number 2 and I think he will look to move on in the summer. 

3 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Maybe I'm being a little harsh I guess.  I have heard Kaminski has thrown the toys right out of the pram though which tarnishes his reputation a bit (although I kinda get why he feels that way).

Thanks for sharing Ossydave

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

On your first point I don't see anything like monumental, point costing decision you are suggested. 

on point 2, I don't budget cuts has caused this situation at all. 

on point 3, I don't think Pears would have signed a new contract if he was assured he would start the next season as number 1. Also I don't Kaminski staying here as number 2 and I think he will look to move on in the summer. 

Thanks for sharing Ossydave

He is considerably worse than Kaminski, so yes, I believe that it will cost us points. Pears is not a keeper that will win us many points, Kaminski wins loads because he is a top Championship keeper. There were numerous games in the first half of the season when Kaminski did just that. A mixture of recency bias obsessing over that couple of games when Kaminski dipped whilst carrying an injury, and you trying to defend every decision the club makes will make you remember him as error prone rather than a very good Championship keepr.

I am just giving my thoughts on what I perceive to be the potential explanations to downgrade our keeper.

If it is purely a choice from the manager, then it is a truly baffling one, and a huge error of judgement from Tomasson. 

If it is budget cuts, it makes more sense in that it isn't a straight choice, but it would cause general worries about the direction of the club. They would never come out and say we are promoting Pears because we can't afford to keep Kaminski, but I will assume that is the case if Pears is number 1 and one of the kids are his back up, or even to be honest if we got a cheap back up externally.

If Kaminski wants out, then I would berate the decision not to reinstate him towards the end of the season, and that run of games saw us repeatedly fail to win with Pears in goal, so it didn't turn out well. But if that was the case, then I would expect him to be properly replaced, not just replaced within, if it wasn't financially driven.

I don't think you can fathom that a decision could be made to the detriment of the football club, whether that be financially driven or for football reasons. It must be right in your head, because that is the decision made.

• Like 3

Some of his saves this season were even better. The ones posted of Pears in the main were straightforward. Take the award winning double save in the cup at Leicester, the first was an easy save that was telegraphed by the forward, yet he patted it straight into the danger zone.

• Like 1

Pears wouldn’t get in most championship teams, kaminski is one of the best keepers in the division. What are we even debating . Unless it’s family reasons on his part or financial reasons on ours then I don’t see what the arguement is. Kaminski starts as number one 

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Massively concerned about the keeper situation personally. I think Kaminski is definitely our best keeper, my worry now is that Pears becomes first choice, Kaminski leaves, then complacency kicks in for Pears.

Don't get me wrong he's done slightly better than expected, but he still had to fight for his place then.

Where have you heard that? I'd be livid if I was Kaminski - I had assumed he wasn't fully fit post-surgery, if he was kept out of the team by Pears on 'form' then I'd be asking to leave too as he's a much better player. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Some bloke on twitter (who is the GK coach at Charnock Richard, so he'd know 🙂 ) is saying TK has an agreement with Rovers that if someone pays £500k then he's off. 

Might as well flog A. Wharton while the offer is on the table then 'cos that's not a serious way to run a promotion campaign. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He is considerably worse than Kaminski, so yes, I believe that it will cost us points. Pears is not a keeper that will win us many points, Kaminski wins loads because he is a top Championship keeper. There were numerous games in the first half of the season when Kaminski did just that. A mixture of recency bias obsessing over that couple of games when Kaminski dipped whilst carrying an injury, and you trying to defend every decision the club makes will make you remember him as error prone rather than a very good Championship keeper. 

I don't think he is considerably worse than Kaminski. If Injury was to blame for Kaminski. 

The last sentence is the same old comment you posted when I won't agree with you. 

I am just giving my thoughts on what I perceive to be the potential explanations to downgrade our keeper.

If it is purely a choice from the manager, then it is a truly baffling one, and a huge error of judgement from Tomasson. 

I don't think you can say its a truly baffling one at all cos JDT stuck with Pears when Kaminski so maybe he has already made his mind who he wanted in the long term. 

If it is budget cuts, it makes more sense in that it isn't a straight choice, but it would cause general worries about the direction of the club. They would never come out and say we are promoting Pears because we can't afford to keep Kaminski, but I will assume that is the case if Pears is number 1 and one of the kids are his back up, or even to be honest if we got a cheap back up externally.

Why assume anything tho? What happens if before the next season JDT comes out during the next few weeks and says he decide Pears was his long term number 1? what would you think then? 

If Kaminski wants out, then I would berate the decision not to reinstate him towards the end of the season, and that run of games saw us repeatedly fail to win with Pears in goal, so it didn't turn out well. But if that was the case, then I would expect him to be properly replaced, not just replaced within, if it wasn't financially driven.

maybe Kaminski had already decide he wanted to move this summer due to family reasons and Move closer to them? 

If Kaminski is to leave would you like to see another keeper sign this summer to complete with Pears for the number 1 jersey? 

I don't think you can fathom that a decision could be made to the detriment of the football club, whether that be financially driven or for football reasons. It must be right in your head, because that is the decision made.

oh well, I tried to understand the decision and what could be behind the decision instead of coming out with this is wrong decision straight away without looking at it from JDT's point of view or the club's point of view? 

10 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Pears wouldn’t get in most championship teams, kaminski is one of the best keepers in the division. What are we even debating . Unless it’s family reasons on his part or financial reasons on ours then I don’t see what the arguement is. Kaminski starts as number one 

If he wants to leave that’s different - but, imo, he’d need replacing with a new number 1.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't think he is considerably worse than Kaminski. If Injury was to blame for Kaminski. 

The last sentence is the same old comment you posted when I won't agree with you. 

I don't think you can say its a truly baffling one at all cos JDT stuck with Pears when Kaminski so maybe he has already made his mind who he wanted in the long term. 

Why assume anything tho? What happens if before the next season JDT comes out during the next few weeks and says he decide Pears was his long term number 1? what would you think then? 

maybe Kaminski had already decide he wanted to move this summer due to family reasons and Move closer to them? 

If Kaminski is to leave would you like to see another keeper sign this summer to complete with Pears for the number 1 jersey? 

oh well, I tried to understand the decision and what could be behind the decision instead of coming out with this is wrong decision straight away without looking at it from JDT's point of view or the club's point of view? 

Kaminski is a top Championship keeper. Many of the points picked up in the first half of the season were down to him keeping us in games.

It is baffling, I know that Tomasson stuck with Pears, I said before that Kaminski needed to come in, I felt at the time and feel justified looking back that Tomasson made the wrong choice after the international break to stick with an inferior keeper.

If Tomasson says that he wanted Pears as number 1, again, I would find that baffling because he is nowhere near as good! I would think exactly the same because MY opinion is that Kaminski is miles better, like most people seemingly, and I wouldn't adapt my opinion to agree with what the manager thinks. I have my own mind and my own opinions. Why would I try and "understand" it from Tomasson's point of view when in my opinion, it is clearly the wrong choice? What understanding is there to be done, the poorer keeper is preferred?

If Kaminski has made the decision solely to move back to Belgium and it has nothing to do with potentially (and for the last bit of this season) not being first choice, then yes, we should bring in a new number 1. Not to compete, but to be number 1. Pears is a good number 2, never a number 1 for a promotion chaser.

My gut feeling is that the decision is financially driven, Kaminski is a better keeper who rightfully will be on more money. I now sadly expect Pears to be number 1 and one of the kids to be back up which would leave me very worried.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Kaminski is a top Championship keeper. Many of the points picked up in the first half of the season were down to him keeping us in games.

It is baffling, I know that Tomasson stuck with Pears, I said before that Kaminski needed to come in, I felt at the time and feel justified looking back that Tomasson made the wrong choice after the international break to stick with an inferior keeper.

I think JDT was right for sticking with Pears 

If Tomasson says that he wanted Pears as number 1, again, I would find that baffling because he is nowhere near as good! I would think exactly the same because MY opinion is that Kaminski is miles better, like most people seemingly, and I wouldn't adapt my opinion to agree with what the manager thinks. I have my own mind and my own opinions. Why would I try and "understand" it from Tomasson's point of view when in my opinion, it is clearly the wrong choice? What understanding is there to be done, the poorer keeper is preferred?

To understand why JDT has decide why Pears is number 1 and the reasons behind. 

If Kaminski has made the decision solely to move back to Belgium and it has nothing to do with potentially (and for the last bit of this season) not being first choice, then yes, we should bring in a new number 1. Not to compete, but to be number 1. Pears is a good number 2, never a number 1 for a promotion chaser.

Thanks for answering the question. If Pears is number 1 for next season would you like another keeper sign to be number 2 or would you use Hilton or Eastham as number 2? 

My gut feeling is that the decision is financially driven, Kaminski is a better keeper who rightfully will be on more money. I now sadly expect Pears to be number 1 and one of the kids to be back up which would leave me very worried.

I think the decision has been made that JDT prefers Pears as number 1 so Kaminski wants to leave this summer to be number 1 but also for family reasons. 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think JDT was right for sticking with Pears 

To understand why JDT has decide why Pears is number 1 and the reasons behind. 

Thanks for answering the question. If Pears is number 1 for next season would you like another keeper sign to be number 2 or would you use Hilton or Eastham as number 2? 

I think the decision has been made that JDT prefers Pears as number 1 so Kaminski wants to leave this summer to be number 1 but also for family reasons. 

Pears isnt good enough to be number 1, thats what I keep saying. If Kaminski is so intent on leaving for family reasons, which I am not convinced by and think that you are assuming that to absolve the club of any potential criticism. Then sign a new number 1 to replace him.

We definitely should not have Hilton or Eastham as sub keeper either way.

I don't understand why Tomasson has potentially decided that, although according to you, he hasn't decided that, Kaminski has decided that so make your mind up. I couldn't possibly understand why anyone would prefer a far inferior keeper to play. I think it must be for budgetary reasons.

If it was a judgement by Tomasson, then his judgement is terrible. If it is Kaminski's decision purely for family reasons, then sign a new number 1. My expection is Pears with one of the kids backing up, which would further make me assume that it is a financial decision.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Pears isnt good enough to be number 1, thats what I keep saying. If Kaminski is so intent on leaving for family reasons, which I am not convinced by and think that you are assuming that to absolve the club of any potential criticism. Then sign a new number 1 to replace him.

We definitely should not have Hilton or Eastham as sub keeper either way.

We will have to disagree on Pears's ability. 

How can I criticism Rovers or JDT when we don't know the full story? 

I don't understand why Tomasson has potentially decided that, although according to you, he hasn't decided that, Kaminski has decided that so make your mind up. I couldn't possibly understand why anyone would prefer a far inferior keeper to play. I think it must be for budgetary reasons.

I don't know what been decide or what JDT thinking is. I don't know what Kaminski is thinking. none of us do, But what we do know that Pears has signed a new 4 year contract and JDT prefer him over Kaminski when both were fit towards end of the season when he could have put Kaminski back in. 

If it was a judgement by Tomasson, then his judgement is terrible. 

we have to disagree as I don't think Pears made us weakness this season. Not for me

My expection is Pears with one of the kids backing up, which would further make me assume that it is a financial decision.

or JDT and Rovers staff have more belief and confidence if Pears, Hilton and Eastham then you do. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

We will have to disagree on Pears's ability. 

How can I criticism Rovers or JDT when we don't know the full story? 

I don't know what been decide or what JDT thinking is. I don't know what Kaminski is thinking. none of us do, But what we do know that Pears has signed a new 4 year contract and JDT prefer him over Kaminski when both were fit towards end of the season when he could have put Kaminski back in. 

we have to disagree as I don't think Pears made us weakness this season. Not for me

or JDT and Rovers staff have more belief and confidence if Pears, Hilton and Eastham then you do. 

Again, you aren't grasping that their judgement could be wrong and/or influenced by financial limitations. 

JDT must want Pears so it must be right.

30 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Again, you aren't grasping that their judgement could be wrong and/or influenced by financial limitations. 

JDT must want Pears so it must be right.

we don't know what will happen or whether Pears will be number 1 next season. Have to wait and see if Kaminski will be sold and leaves or if he stays and fight for number 1 jersey. Have to wait and see

I can't even believe it's up for argument that Kaminski is the better keeper, some just never seem to learn the difference between a downgrade and a good replacement.

If and i say if they are trying to get him to leave it's because they sniff money saving via someone who should cope, not because he is a better prospect.  When Steele was average Eastwood stood in and did an adequate job but overall we wanted and needed better but that's what back up keepers are for.

TK isn't Steele he's been twice the keeper for us and Pears isn't Raya so it's a no brainer for me they should fight it out in pre season/next season with Kaminsky in the no 1 position.

If Pears is destined to be a good number 1 here it'll happen in time anyway but to force the other out is batshit crazy unless they've something else lined up.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

we don't know what will happen or whether Pears will be number 1 next season. Have to wait and see if Kaminski will be sold and leaves or if he stays and fight for number 1 jersey. Have to wait and see

I think the writing is on the wall, Pears keeps saying he wants to play (obviously anyone will say that but he seems to have developed a taste so must have had assurances to sign a long term deal) and kept the shirt despite Kaminski's return.

All I know is, if Pears starts as number 1, we start with a much weaker goalkeeper than we did this season. So we are without our top scorer and our best keeper straight away.

• Like 2

I've found Pears extending his contract really deflating. 

I think Kaminski is so much better, and I was counting down the games when he was injured, hoping Pears didn't do too much damage before returning to the bench. 

I would say putting Pears before Kaminski puts a question mark against JDT's judgement. 

Missing out on the playoffs on goal difference after countless opportunities to get over the line, Brereton walking for nothing, and Pears here for the foreseeable. Another character building time to be a Rover.