BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Pears/ Kaminski.. summer plans?

14 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Where have you heard that? I'd be livid if I was Kaminski - I had assumed he wasn't fully fit post-surgery, if he was kept out of the team by Pears on 'form' then I'd be asking to leave too as he's a much better player. 

Someone very high up at the club, far too high most would say....

I think you can probably guess who from that.

It's good to have two goalkeeping options and you and make a case for either one.

I think JDT was right to stick with Pears even once Kaminski was fit (that's without speculating on any of the internal politics); however, I would have dropped him after the Huddersfield match. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I think the writing is on the wall, Pears keeps saying he wants to play (obviously anyone will say that but he seems to have developed a taste so must have had assurances to sign a long term deal) and kept the shirt despite Kaminski's return.

All I know is, if Pears starts as number 1, we start with a much weaker goalkeeper than we did this season. So we are without our top scorer and our best keeper straight away.

Yes I read and listen to Pears interviews so it would suggested he wants to be first choice and play first team football so we have to see going forward. I don't know what Kaminski situation is. Doubt many would. We see over the summer. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes I read and listen to Pears interviews so it would suggested he wants to be first choice and play first team football so we have to see going forward. I don't know what Kaminski situation is. Doubt many would. We see over the summer. 

Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised and Kaminski will be in net as the season starts. But my prediction is Pears in net, a kid on the bench and the budget cuts continuing to rob us of any experience and quality.

• Like 5

I hope we sell Pears, buy a better back-up keeper. Kaminski has an injury free, stormer of a season. Back-up keeper has a stormer of  cup runs all the way to picking up the trophys. 

Edited by rigger

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised and Kaminski will be in net as the season starts. But my prediction is Pears in net, a kid on the bench and the budget cuts continuing to rob us of any experience and quality.

You keep budget cuts every time. 

What happens if we signed a keeper with some experience to challenge Pears for the number 1 jersey keep you happy? 

23 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You keep budget cuts every time. 

What happens if we signed a keeper with some experience to challenge Pears for the number 1 jersey keep you happy? 

Not totally, unless it is the unlikely scenario that the new keeper is a top Championship keeper like Kaminski.

I want Kaminski as number 1, Pears as number 2. If neither are happy as number 2, get rid of Pears.

My opinion will remain IF Kaminski goes that it must be for budgetary reasons. The only way that opinion would change is if he goes purely for family reasons AND is replaced by a new and experienced number 1 with Pears as back up.

If Pears starts the season as first choice, IMO that must be budgetary. Even moreso if the back up is one of the kids.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Not totally, unless it is the unlikely scenario that the new keeper is a top Championship keeper like Kaminski.

I want Kaminski as number 1, Pears as number 2. If neither are happy as number 2, get rid of Pears.

My opinion will remain IF Kaminski goes that it must be for budgetary reasons. The only way that opinion would change is if he goes purely for family reasons AND is replaced by a new and experienced number 1 with Pears as back up.

If Pears starts the season as first choice, IMO that must be budgetary. Even moreso if the back up is one of the kids.

Fair enough. I think JDT has decide Pears is his number 1 for next season so Kaminski has asked to leave which Rovers will have agree to. I don't know if we will sign a new keeper we have to see now

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Fair enough. I think JDT has decide Pears is his number 1 for next season so Kaminski has asked to leave which Rovers will have agree to. I don't know if we will sign a new keeper we have to see now

If that is the case, then I would lose a lot of faith in Tomasson's judgement considering that Kaminski is far superior.

But as I said, assuming it plays out as expected, I will put it down to budgetary reasons. My opinion.

22 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If that is the case, then I would lose a lot of faith in Tomasson's judgement considering that Kaminski is far superior.

But as I said, assuming it plays out as expected, I will put it down to budgetary reasons. My opinion.

Fair enough I will leave it there

1 hour ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

You sell the one with the best sales value.

Simple

Get Kaminski sold.

Anyway, our problems are most definately up t'other end. We need to count the coppers in the jar to see who we can afford.

You keep the one whose the better ‘keeper.

Our problems are currently at the other end - let’s not create a new problem unnecessarily.

• Like 3

On 13/05/2023 at 18:57, chaddyrovers said:

We will have to disagree on Pears's ability. 

You also thought Lampard was a good manager, Hirst will come good if given more time and that Morton should start ahead of Wharton as he doesn’t train hard enough.

You’re wrong on this one too for what it’s worth 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

You sell the one with the best sales value.

Simple

Get Kaminski sold.

Anyway, our problems are most definately up t'other end. We need to count the coppers in the jar to see who we can afford.

It won't matter who we have up t'other end if our goalkeeper is Pears for a full season. Keeper is the most underrated position on the pitch. You keep your best one, not your least valuable one, unless the decision is taken out of your hands or you get an offer too good to refuse.

• Like 4

Prior to Kaminski's injury I seem to recall a few griping about his performances.  To me some aspects of his game had gone backwards a bit.  Kicking and distribution being quite noticable.  Not as commanding as he was IMHO.  I can see him taking the huff if Pears is keeping him out.  As for some of the figures I have seen on here if 1.5-2mill.  Odd we say we got screwed selling potential for 3 in Raya, yet our experienced International is only worth half.  Has to be at least 5mill or so doesn't it?

Edited by USABlue

1 hour ago, USABlue said:

Prior to Kaminski's injury I seem to recall a few griping about his performances.  To me some aspects of his game had gone backwards a bit.  Kicking and distribution being quite noticable.  Not as commanding as he was IMHO.  I can see him taking the huff if Pears is keeping him out.  As for some of the figures I have seen on here if 1.5-2mill.  Odd we say we got screwed selling potential for 3 in Raya, yet our experienced International is only worth half.  Has to be at least 5mill or so doesn't it?

I don't think it's that we rate him at 1.5 to 2 mill, it's that we have just dropped him for half a season in favour of someone who isn't that good. If he also wants out, chances are we won't get more than that in the market, we've essentially driven his value down. Maybe we could squeeze a little more than our estimates but I can't envision someone paying 5 million for our backup keeper.

He's also not an international btw, no caps yet. Worth considering also that Raya was very young for a keeper, he had many many years ahead of him and tons of time to grow into his obvious potential. Kaminski is 30, generally speaking with keepers you'd expect he may still improve a little til he's about 32, and then typically last til about 35. Absolutely it can be a year or so longer, and some outliers make it to 40 or so in great shape, but the point is there are theoretically about 7 less years of service and also far less potential growth, compared to Raya who was 23 and already an established Championship keeper of quality when sold. Apart from his occasional brain farts I'd say he was lower Prem quality.

Yes we got shafted on the Raya deal, and we'll probably get shafted on a TK deal. All the more reason to keep him instead. As far as I'm concerned his reduced performance levels are probably mostly due to the injury we hear he was playing through.

Edited by bluebruce

On 13/05/2023 at 21:15, tomphil said:

I can't even believe it's up for argument that Kaminski is the better keeper, some just never seem to learn the difference between a downgrade and a good replacement.

If and i say if they are trying to get him to leave it's because they sniff money saving via someone who should cope, not because he is a better prospect.  When Steele was average Eastwood stood in and did an adequate job but overall we wanted and needed better but that's what back up keepers are for.

TK isn't Steele he's been twice the keeper for us and Pears isn't Raya so it's a no brainer for me they should fight it out in pre season/next season with Kaminsky in the no 1 position.

If Pears is destined to be a good number 1 here it'll happen in time anyway but to force the other out is batshit crazy unless they've something else lined up.

For some balance, Pears is 25. When Kaminski was 25 he was playing for a team I've never heard of: Kortrijk.

I also think if Kaminski goes it will be due to budget reasons. They probably believe the job can be done just the same for cheaper, and would prefer the wage Kaminski expects to be used elsewhere in the squad. Such is the constraints with which we work under

However, it is not outside of the realm of possibilities that Pears improves to the level Kaminski was playing at last / this year.

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

For some balance, Pears is 25. When Kaminski was 25 he was playing for a team I've never heard of: Kortrijk.

I also think if Kaminski goes it will be due to budget reasons. They probably believe the job can be done just the same for cheaper, and would prefer the wage Kaminski expects to be used elsewhere in the squad. Such is the constraints with which we work under

However, it is not outside of the realm of possibilities that Pears improves to the level Kaminski was playing at last / this year.

If you see a future Kaminsky in Pears then fair enough but i don't.

That doesn't mean he won't be a steady keeper and improve with time and iv'e no idea what TK was like at 25 all i know is hes been a cracking keeper for us and still has plenty miles on the clock.

It imo is a risk not worth taking considering the numbers involved, not yet anyway.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, tomphil said:

If you see a future Kaminsky in Pears then fair enough but i don't.

That doesn't mean he won't be a steady keeper and improve with time and iv'e no idea what TK was like at 25 all i know is hes been a cracking keeper for us and still has plenty miles on the clock.

It imo is a risk not worth taking considering the numbers involved, not yet anyway.

Stranger things have happened

For what it's worth, I hope Kaminski isn't sold either. It is a clear downgrade presently

I can't see us getting anything more than £2m for him, which definitely won't be added back into the budget, so what's the point?

• Like 2

Couple of key quotes from Broughton:

"At the moment we believe we have two goalkeepers who can push each other, and themselves, really hard to challenge and allow us to develop as a group."

"By the way, that doesn’t mean we’re going to try and sell Thomas Kaminski this summer, but all of the players in the squad have to be aware that’s the model we want to run."

Broughton also mentioned that a big reason for Pears' contract being renewed is to retain his value rather than let his contract run down and go for free.

1 hour ago, goozburger said:

Broughton also mentioned that a big reason for Pears' contract being renewed is to retain his value rather than let his contract run down and go for free.

So we've committed several hundred grand to retain a tenner? No one's paying money for Pears. Maybe we should try that approach with our players who have real financial value 👍

We all remember and cherish some of the sensational saves Kaminski has pulled off. I think those memories are blinding us to the fact that there were quite a few goals let in during the season just gone which TK shouldn't have let in.

I think it is much more nuanced as to who is the best keeper between Pears and TK.

Had you asked me after that Wigan FA Cup defeat, I would have also argued it was nuanced as to who was the best keeper between Pears and me, and for that matter, I could have offered myself as the better central defender after one particular Hayden Carter "performance" three years ago...

Real players develop.

Pears has the advantage of years on his side to become much better and he doesn't scare me in the way TK does when we are kicking it around at the back to bring on a high press creating space upfield.

1 hour ago, Ulrich said:

So we've committed several hundred grand to retain a tenner? No one's paying money for Pears. Maybe we should try that approach with our players who have real financial value 👍

I agree with everything that @Neal said about Pears. I think he gets unfair stick on here, probably because he was a Mowbray 'Boro connection signing, but I can certainly see the potential and future value in him. I like him, although there is much to improve.