BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Pears/ Kaminski.. summer plans?

On 03/07/2023 at 14:39, chaddyrovers said:

I also wonder that. Plus Luton are interested aswell 

I'm perplexed by Lutons unwillingness to spend anything. I don't think the way Forest went about things is the way to go, but Luton chucking in sub million pound bids for players, is cheap beyond belief. Sure they don't want to overpay, but they've now got serious cash to play with. If they're interested in players (not just Kaminski) pay a fair price and get them integrated into the squad, with a good pre-season. 

It feels like me quibbling over 50p for something that would be essential in my daily life. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

I'm perplexed by Lutons unwillingness to spend anything. I don't think the way Forest went about things is the way to go, but Luton chucking in sub million pound bids for players, is cheap beyond belief. Sure they don't want to overpay, but they've now got serious cash to play with. If they're interested in players (not just Kaminski) pay a fair price and get them integrated into the squad, with a good pre-season. 

It feels like me quibbling over 50p for something that would be essential in my daily life. 

Cost of the new stadium maybe a factor here? Not much point if you're in the lower divisions though!

Perhaps they think there's enough left to make them another yo-yo club!

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

The way that Forest went about things turned into a very good move. 

Yes, but it wouldn't have worked out 99 times out of 100.

They did the equivalent of you or I  spending every penny we had and buying every ticket for the lottery that we could afford, and they got very lucky.  There is every chance that had they been relegated, they would have gone to the wall and tumbled down the divisions.

It worked for for Forest last season, but it is not be the model that people should look to for inspiration going forwards.

I*m not even against any club spending 100s of millions (especially after promotion), it was just so slapdash how they went about it.  Like there was no plan beyond throw enough money at it and hope it pays off

Edited by KentExile

4 hours ago, KentExile said:

They did the equivalent of you or I  spending every penny we had and buying every ticket for the lottery that we could afford, and they got very lucky.  There is every chance that had they been relegated, they would have gone to the wall and tumbled down the divisions.

It worked for for Forest last season, but it is not be the model that people should look to for inspiration going forwards.

I*m not even against any club spending 100s of millions (especially after promotion), it was just so slapdash how they went about it.  Like there was no plan beyond throw enough money at it and hope it pays off

I think there was a bit more to it than that. The likes of Gibbs White, Awoniyi, Danilo etc are big assets for them now and they also signed some really good experience in Navas, Felipe etc.

48 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think there was a bit more to it than that. The likes of Gibbs White, Awoniyi, Danilo etc are big assets for them now and they also signed some really good experience in Navas, Felipe etc.

Yes, some of them were good, and if Forest had "only" signed 10 or so of those players (although even those numbers sound ridiculous), even for huge money, then I would agree with you that their strategy was 'sensible'.  But look how many signings there were, and how bad and/or unnecessary many of them were

It was the very definition of a scattergun approach

Bowler Richards, Hwang, Aguilera & Bade didn't feature in one game between them

Biancone, Shelvey, Hennessey, Scarpa, and Wood all played less than 10

Lingard, Ayew, O'Brien, Toffolo and Dennis were generally seen as failures

That's 15 players at a quick glance who could be described as unnecessary signings at best

Yes there were plenty of good players/signings too, but when you sign over 30 players, the law of averages dictates you will hit the target with some of them

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

Typical of some clubs. 

Luton now have cash to pay fees regardless of stadium build. They will be back with a proper offer shortly

12 hours ago, KentExile said:

No they didn't, they spent the money buying players they needed and it worked.

I'd rather follow the Forest approach than the Luton one.

• 2 weeks later...

If Kaminski is still at the club come WBA at home then he needs to start. Just a much more all round assured figure. Pears did ok when he came in, made some good saves at times but he has more mistakes in him for sure. Perhaps Pears distribution is better, but TK is the better all rounder.

Yes he went through a rough patch before his spell out injured last season but every keeper has one of those now and then in their career. He's been a dependable figure between the sticks for the most part since he joined.

• Like 2