BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Pears/ Kaminski.. summer plans?

17 minutes ago, Neilbristol said:

Well the folks who are saying TK should have been put back in the sire.. just wondering if they think TK would have done better with the only goal we conceded. It was very predictable from Benson

The situation is hypothetical, so cannot be proven one way or another. I could say yes, TK would have caught the ball, released it, to lead to a Rovers attack from which we scored what turned out to be the winning goal. But again that is purely hypothetical.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Neilbristol said:

Well the folks who are saying TK should have been put back in the sire.. just wondering if they think TK would have done better with the only goal we conceded. It was very predictable from Benson

Maybe a bit harsh, but having watched it a couple of times it looks like poor keeping. 

I don't think Pears is particularly good, he's just not been chucking them in his own net like TK was for a few matches before he went out of the side. 

On the other hand Pears has never won us a match with his keeping. TK has won us quite a few. 

• Like 5

• Backroom
35 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Maybe a bit harsh, but having watched it a couple of times it looks like poor keeping. 

I don't think Pears is particularly good, he's just not been chucking them in his own net like TK was for a few matches before he went out of the side. 

On the other hand Pears has never won us a match with his keeping. TK has won us quite a few. 

Leicester would've been 2-0 up after 10mins but for Pears.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Leicester would've been 2-0 up after 10mins but for Pears.

Yes exactly and he hasn't done anything wrong since that match either..the Benson goal does look suspect as well as he has been doing it all season...but he has been scoring them all season too so got to give him credit. Not many keepers have stopped him either 

Rankin Costello and Pickering have been 2 solid players for us in recent months. If Carvajal and Ferland Mendy from Real Madrid were available for the next game though, would we say "well do they deserve to be dropped?"

Kaminski is a miles better keeper. Pears has done well as a stand in and hasn't made any major errors although he has looked shaky and indecisive lately. Rather play our best players.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Rankin Costello and Pickering have been 2 solid players for us in recent months. If Carvajal and Ferland Mendy from Real Madrid were available for the next game though, would we say "well do they deserve to be dropped?"

Kaminski is a miles better keeper. Pears has done well as a stand in and hasn't made any major errors although he has looked shaky and indecisive lately. Rather play our best players.

Was Pears shaky and indecisive against Burnley? 

Or form doesn't matter anymore than? 

4 hours ago, Neilbristol said:

Yes exactly and he hasn't done anything wrong since that match either..the Benson goal does look suspect as well as he has been doing it all season...but he has been scoring them all season too so got to give him credit. Not many keepers have stopped him either 

Was he not flapping in no-mans-land for the opener against Hudds? And the 2nd easily beat him.

He doesn't have a lot to do as we defend well, yet he doesn't do a lot. Can't think of many saves that have stood out. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

With what? 

Pears has more good enough for me and deserves to keep his place. 

Yes you might not want to play football from the back but JDT does. 

You mean Steele who had played for Brighton in the PL  

That’s a new low if your trying to tell me Steele is a class keeper, he has played about 7 games in 5 years 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

That’s a new low if your trying to tell me Steele is a class keeper, he has played about 7 games in 5 years 

I'm not saying Steele is a class keeper but De Zebri says why he prefer Steele to Sanchez now. 

He made a good penalty save

7 hours ago, Neilbristol said:

Are you joking. No goalkeeper would have saved that. If that's a reason to drop keepers then teams would be changing every game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arbitro said:

Are you joking. No goalkeeper would have saved that. If that's a reason to drop keepers then teams would be changing every game.

Another unprovable statement. The only fact is, we know of one keeper that didn't stop the shot. To come back from the land of fantasies, I think Kaminski is a better keeper than Pears. I would always pick the best players.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, rigger said:

Another unprovable statement. The only fact is, we know of one keeper that didn't stop the shot. To come back from the land of fantasies, I think Kaminski is a better keeper than Pears. I would always pick the best players.

And yours is provable is it. Of course only one keeper didn't stop it as we can only play one at a time (sorry I slipped into your posting style there). Tell me how Kaminski is better without just saying 'it's my opinion'.

Pears to me strikes me as that last season we had Robinson in net. It just doesn't seem THAT hard to beat him. If you get a decent strike on it, it goes in. The Burnley goal, he's struck it well, but Pears is in the centre of the goal and doesn't move across quick enough. The ball doesn't really move and isn't in the top corner. At the time me and my ST holding mates just looked at each other and said it just didn't look like he should be beaten there.

In addition to that, the second goal against Norwich is awful goalkeeping, the first vs Huddersfield is commanding of his area, the second is poor positioning, the second vs Sheffield United come from nowhere and you think he should save, the Coventry equaliser he should be punching (he's 3 yards out). 

The eye test suggests Kaminski is better, I'd like to see the statistics but early in the season Kaminski was the second highest goalkeeper on 'expected goals prevented' or whatever stat it was. He looked nailed on to be our player of the season pre-Christmas which I think some are forgetting. That performance vs Birmingham was the best individual GK display at Ewood since the Friedel days. 

12 minutes ago, arbitro said:

And yours is provable is it. Of course only one keeper didn't stop it as we can only play one at a time (sorry I slipped into your posting style there). Tell me how Kaminski is better without just saying 'it's my opinion'.

You don’t think TK is a better goalkeeper than Pears?

11 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Pears to me strikes me as that last season we had Robinson in net. It just doesn't seem THAT hard to beat him. If you get a decent strike on it, it goes in. The Burnley goal, he's struck it well, but Pears is in the centre of the goal and doesn't move across quick enough. The ball doesn't really move and isn't in the top corner. At the time me and my ST holding mates just looked at each other and said it just didn't look like he should be beaten there.

In addition to that, the second goal against Norwich is awful goalkeeping, the first vs Huddersfield is commanding of his area, the second is poor positioning, the second vs Sheffield United come from nowhere and you think he should save, the Coventry equaliser he should be punching (he's 3 yards out). 

The eye test suggests Kaminski is better, I'd like to see the statistics but early in the season Kaminski was the second highest goalkeeper on 'expected goals prevented' or whatever stat it was. He looked nailed on to be our player of the season pre-Christmas which I think some are forgetting. That performance vs Birmingham was the best individual GK display at Ewood since the Friedel days. 

Good post.

I'm a bit confused as to why Pears is being lauded as a safe pair of hands and equally confused as to why he's retaining his place. He doesn't get a glove on much and is easily beaten. So why is TK not back in?

My guess, based on not very much, is that JDT doesn't rate TK or Pears and that we'll have a new No1 in goal for next season.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

You don’t think TK is a better goalkeeper than Pears?

I don't see a lot between them. I think they have similar strengths and weaknesses and pre injury Kaminski was responsible for the concession of a few soft goals. I had reservations about Pears primarily from his last stint in the first team but in my view has grabbed his chance with both hands. If I was the manager I wouldn't be able to justify leaving him out. I don't see it as too dissimilar to when JRC got back in when Brittain was injured. He took his chance and made if difficult for the manager to drop him. It's the nice kind of problem managers purport to have.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Game of opinions, but I honestly don’t think he’s anywhere near TK, well, apart from probably being more comfortable with the ball at his feet - but I suppose that’s as important as saves these days…

As you say it's about opinions. I don't think either are particularly strong in the air and they don't command their penalty areas like I think keepers should. However they both have really good reflexes and are decent shot stoppers. My main point is that Pears hasn't really done anything to justify being dropped in my view.

• Like 1

I suppose if you don’t think TK is any better, then fair enough. Whereas I very much do, certainly as a shot stopper and he commands his box better too in my view (though weaker with the ball at his feet) so he’d have been back in the side probably post Huddersfield for me. 

If he goes as a result in the summer, I wouldn’t be too impressed that we’d ended up with such an average keeper as our number 1.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, arbitro said:

Kaminski is more positive in his decission making, which tranfers to the defenders in front of him. He commands the penalty area better. He takes crosses better. They are both about the same at shot stopping, but Pears has a tendancy to block shots back into play, Kaminski tends to find a safe area. And by the way, it's my opinion.

Another factor to add in is previous form to this season. 

Prior to then Pears looked very weak whereas Kaminski has looked solid if not particularly special. As Bereton has shown us anyone can have a decent run of games but form is temporary and all that...

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He didn't have anything to do really, there were barely any shots on target combined. In the games prior he had a few moments of indecision.

They have one shot on target and scored. Nothing Pears could do but his overall performance was good, Communicating, making decisions to keep long or short. 

He has good game. 

You mention these moments of indecisions but Kaminski had them before his injury. 

You attitude is form doesn't matter, would you put Kaminski back in goal for Luton and Millwall game?