BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v The Dingles (h) - 25/04/2023, k/o 8pm

15 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

One plus for me is that JDT doesn’t belittle our club. 

He has in a way with his narrative that we shouldn't be in the play offs etc, insinuating we are over achieving.   No different to Luton, Millwall....nobody expected them either but their managers are fist pumping and talking them up.

I think you are being seduced with his Danish charms and totally opposite persona to Mogadon

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Every club has ‘part time supporters’, and said part timers will come out for big games. That’s football. Odd thing to get wound up about. 

WTF? I can get wound up by what I want - lads slagging the team off who gave everything as we suffer one of our worst nights at Ewood is pretty high up on the list. 

But I agree on the whole the support was excellent and the rendition of Rovers Til I Die at the end brought a tear to my eye. If anything hardens supporters and brings them together, it's stuff like that. 

Edited by Groundhog
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

😁, Feel free to get wound up by the fact some folk come out the woodwork for big games, but it was ever thus.  

But then folk also like moaning about empty seats, can’t have it both ways.

It was lovely to feel Ewood rocking again, with Blackburn Rovers fans. From my vantage in the JWL and having seen the ground plan sear sales before, I was very surprised with the crowd, I thought more like 20,000. It certainly felt like it, credit to all proper Rovers fans, who got out of their armchairs and turned up, to support their team and try to make the difference, heroic failure.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

He has in a way with his narrative that we shouldn't be in the play offs etc, insinuating we are over achieving.   No different to Luton, Millwall....nobody expected them either but their managers are fist pumping and talking them up.

I think you are being seduced with his Danish charms and totally opposite persona to Mogadon

Bang on the money here Sparks

1 minute ago, sympatheticclaret said:

In peace,

Not really much to add to the comments, so, so much better from your lads than that supine performance in November. Wharton looked a real player, and some proper fight from Rankin-Costello. Mentioned on our board but as several there have said, Burnley can hardly complain about " S**thousery ", when we have our Ashley leading the line...  

Lots of good build up with a decent pressing game, but as you all seem to say, a lack of Strikers is holding you back together with the inconsistency that will always happen with a young squad. We were off the pace first half, and it was just that one bit of quality that won us the game. Cork's tackle was always only a Yellow, as his other leg was far away from the Rovers player, but even I winced at the Barnes hand-ball. It's a VAR penalty all day long, but I consoled myself with the memory of Mr Dunn's offside goal and Olsson's dive and then felt much better ...

If  Venky's actually make some Transfer funds available, and not just cover the day to day operating losses, then there's the basis of a good team, and I think your manager has done well with what's available. Without two freakish events deep into stoppage time in those last two games, you'd be set fair for the play-offs ....

Finally, let's hope the next " Derby " is a Premier League fixture, I think we can all agree on that !

Surely you haven’t forgotten Williamson’s rugby tackle…😁

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Admittedly, there is something in that but I like his enthusiasm and think he is doing a good job, despite the similar death spiral. We don’t score enough goals, probably aren’t quite good enough but a blind man could see that we simply have had no luck or favours.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

In peace,

Not really much to add to the comments, so, so much better from your lads than that supine performance in November. Wharton looked a real player, and some proper fight from Rankin-Costello. Mentioned on our board but as several there have said, Burnley can hardly complain about " S**thousery ", when we have our Ashley leading the line...  

Lots of good build up with a decent pressing game, but as you all seem to say, a lack of Strikers is holding you back together with the inconsistency that will always happen with a young squad. We were off the pace first half, and it was just that one bit of quality that won us the game. Cork's tackle was always only a Yellow, as his other leg was far away from the Rovers player, but even I winced at the Barnes hand-ball. It's a VAR penalty all day long, but I consoled myself with the memory of Mr Dunn's offside goal and Olsson's dive and then felt much better ...

If  Venky's actually make some Transfer funds available, and not just cover the day to day operating losses, then there's the basis of a good team, and I think your manager has done well with what's available. Without two freakish events deep into stoppage time in those last two games, you'd be set fair for the play-offs ....

Finally, let's hope the next " Derby " is a Premier League fixture, I think we can all agree on that !

Cork should have already been on a yellow, irrespective as to whether you deem the second, to be a yellow or red card.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

We. Have. No. Goal. Scorers. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I just dont get this huge disparity between last season and this, to me they are so similar. Both seasons in which we maintained top 6 places for the majority of the season only to stumble badly in the last few months. This season, a run of 7 without a win when it matters, all the usual hard luck stories, late goals, missed penalties, whatever, and just a realisation that we aren't up to it. Big if but if we draw and win, we will finish on the same points with not far off the same squad, with both seasons seeing younger than average sides each week.

All in all, I'd say the job Tomasson has done this season and Mowbray last season are both above average considering how shoddily the club is run above them. And of course Tomasson should stay and I get that from a stronger initial position mainly down to Mowbray, he is new to the job and has not outstayed his welcome unlike his predecessor. But there isn't the disparity between the 2 seasons.

Will things change next season? Probably not. Minimal money and already an expectation of even more of a reliance on young players replacing any experience we have. And even if we are in a promising position, will anyone have any faith that we can see it through?

JDT has had nowhere near the time or funding that Mowbray had. If they'd backed him with a single decent striker in January we'd be sat pretty in the Playoffs right now.

Mowbray built his team every season on half a dozen loans and worked out what system he was going to play by trial and error. Then rebuilt it all again the year after.

Players have actually improved under JDT and we have a style of play and a system - it's night and day. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

JDT has had nowhere near the time or funding that Mowbray had. If they'd backed him with a single decent striker in January we'd be sat pretty in the Playoffs right now.

Mowbray built his team every season on half a dozen loans and worked out what system he was going to play by trial and error. Then rebuilt it all again the year after.

Players have actually improved under JDT and we have a style of play and a system - it's night and day. 

I get that he had longer but with essentially the same team they have had very similar seasons. Only major differences are Lenihan gone, Hyam bought for over a million to replace him, Nyambe gone and Brittain bought for a million to replace him. Rothwell gone and a couple of million spent on Szmodics to replace him. The usual suspects, Kaminski/Pears, Pickering, Wharton, Ayala, Dolan, Gallagher, Buckley, Travis, Brereton, Hedges all remain.

Both have had us in the top 6 basically all season and I suspect both will have seen the wheels come off at the end with a catastrophic slump in form and practically identical points hauls.

We have had 4 loans this season, loans will be a constant in our "projects." This season weve not used the market as well.

Both had poor January windows with a reliance on trying to borrow who we can rather than any investment.

Night and day? De ja vu.

Assuming we dont make the play offs, based on individual seasons, I would give them both a B or B minus. Would have been an A if we had sustained a top 6 place. That being said, still a fair haul considering the running of the club even if both had similar slumps leading to massive frustration upon early promise. Obviously Mowbray had a season or two prior of seasons very much lower than a B.

End of the day it’s a results business, we finish on similar points, a similar league position, then ok give both a ‘B’ if you want.

But there is obviously context between a fella with five years in a role, to a fella managing in England for the first time. You are being a bit simplistic.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

End of the day it’s a results business, we finish on similar points, a similar league position, then ok give both a ‘B’ if you want.

But there is obviously context between a fella with five years in a role, to a fella managing in England for the first time. You are being a bit simplistic.

I get that and I was very much of the opinion that Mowbray had outstayed his welcome whereas Tomasson is someone I very much hope remains in the job into next season.

I just dont really follow the narrative of the last 2 seasons being night and day. I actually think they have been very similar in so many ways, especially the way we have dipped off so badly in both. Overall very much above average seasons but tinged with (potential) frustration. But if you read on here, last season was a disgrace yet this is a success, which even factoring in season 1 v 5 is not quite balanced.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

I thought Rovers performance against burnley was brilliant, the only thing we lacked on the pitch was a prolific goal scorer. If we can find our scoring boots the last 2 matches, I reckon we can still make the play offs.

Ah yes, those goal scoring boots.... now, where did we put them..?

Aw bollox!

To be fair, the last two games have to be won for us to have any chance of making the cut, so there's no point going with a hit and hope attitude with the current lack of options up top. Time, methinks, for JDT to give the youngsters a chance to make their case for the first team next season.. The logic is there - we are creating chances, just without there being anyone to finish them. Give Harry Leonard the nod from the start of the Luton game, supported by Dack and Sammy, and we will score a hatful - maybe too late to make any real difference, but at least we will know we can reboot and go again next season.

Go for it JDT!

1 hour ago, Penwortham Blue said:

credit to all proper Rovers fans, who got out of their armchairs and turned up, to support their team and try to make the difference, heroic failure.

So having watched Rovers for 60 odd years, through thick and thin, home and away at 80 different grounds doesn't make me a "proper" fan because I can no longer go?

Jog on sonny, ****head

• Like 1