BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v The Dingles (h) - 25/04/2023, k/o 8pm

No point bemoaning luck imo, we shouldn’t have to be relying on it, had more than enough games to get ourselves well above where we are now. And we made our own damn mistakes too, hedges at Preston for example. I don’t know why we aren’t playing our best keeper. 
It’s harsh but we need to learn from this, manager needs to learn from this. 

next season , call me crazy but if reading go down id take joao back and an up and coming youngster from the premier, Tom cannon for one. 

we need  bit more experienced heads in the squad and a bit more bite. We need some more creativity left and right.

probably need a new cb too, carter is fine for a sub, Ayala isn’t fit, wharton needs loaned out and possibly sold. 
I would suggest matty pollock from Watford would be a good fit with hyam 

• Like 2

Well nightmare scenario, but it wasn’t for a lack of effort and theatrics from the Dingles.

Ultimately the lack of a striker is why we are now outside of the play offs with it all to do and Burnley are heading up. But we showed enough tonight that we have progressed and with a few key additions it could be us next season.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, M_B said:

We could well have just witnessed the birth of a star, Adam Wharton was on a different planet to anyone else on the pitch,and Burnley were nowhere near him.

Tomasson says the team needs to play a certain way, to showcase their talents and prove they're capable of stepping up to the next level. I'm 100 % with him after that performance, anyone wanting to sign Wharton will have to cough up a mighty sum. 

It took a worldie to beat us tonight,but Burnley know they've been outplayed. We all know where we're short,but that performance has to bode well for the future. 

We witnessed it in August away at Blackpool shame the manager didn't

• Like 7

I am very proud of our performance tonight from our players. They played with passion, desire, effort and commitment all game. We stop them playing their normal way and I enjoyed the overall performance. 

Should have a penalty in the second half. 

We are on the right track under JDT and you can see how he wants us to play. Let's win the next 2 games now and see whether we can get into the top 6. I think it will go down the last game of season where we will have a chance to get top 6. Still wide open. 

JDT's Blue and White Army 🔵 ️!!!

Rovers till we die 🔵️!!!

• Like 3

It shows what Venkys have done to us and that is as sad as anything.

Proud that we gave Burnley a game. Lost, but gave them an even game. At home, 6 losses in a row to them, no wins in 7 seeing us replicate last year, our rivals winning a title on our ground 30 points in front of us.

Imagine saying that before they turned up.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, superniko said:

I doubt Tugay gave it ten to the dozen on the bleep test. Some players are different, he’s a teenager and he’s quality and gives it everything when I’ve seen him playing.
Could have been the difference this season. 

A fair point.

The game had 0-0 written all over it until Carter decided he fancied a dribble, lost it, and their sub scored a cracker. It was over after that. Rovers have struggled to score lately, and it's much much worse trying to come from behind.

As others have said Jack Cork should have been sent off. Either 2 yellows, or a straight red for the second tackle. Alas it was not to be. Although, if he had gone off Burnley would have shut up shop and Rovers wouldn't have been able to break through anyway. It's not much solace but Burnley are going to get a good few shoeings next season. Kompany has a job on his hands.

The threadbare squad was let down badly by the off field management team not signing enough players, both last summer, and in January. Young academy are a great success story but a team isn't getting out of the league with them alone. They need older heads to help, and there aren't enough of them. They were also let down by the lack of sorting out Brereton. He should have either signed a contract or shipped out when he said no. He's been poor but is relied on as he can play. 

Rovers have been very unlucky over the season - last week was the worst - and now need 2 wins against solid, gritty, well drilled teams. Let's see what happens.

• Like 6

An early morning post, as I woke up and the first thing that entered my thoughts was last nights game.

Obviously, I was gutted at the result, but thought we were the better side and at least gave them a game this time.

No need for me to state the obvious, but we are and were again last night, a quality finisher away from being up there and even if we had the Brereton of last season, we would have been safely in the top 6 and maybe automatics. That has to be lesson learned, as we cannot let players run their contracts down like this.

On the match itself, I watched on Rovers TV so not too sure if the pictures were different to the sky coverage, but the first half spat between JRC and Barnes was covered well. Barnes looked scared to death of him and I hope Joe gave him a right hander after the match. Players like Barnes are, my pet hate and he is the type that would run a mile, if someone really hard got a grip of him.

My MOM was Wharton, he simply oozes class and was the best player on the pitch by a country mile. I thought we dominated them, but the huffing and puffing was plain to see and it did feel inevitable that they would nick one against the run of play. I think Pickering being on a yellow was telling and despite it being an excellent strike it was preventable. Szmodics was full of energy and is another solid signing for me.

So far as the play offs are concerned, I think our race is run and although a win V a possibly depleted Luton side, would take it to the final game, I do see us falling short, but as frustrating as it is, were 2 last minute goals away from making the top six.

Until the fat lady is singing, I won't give up hope, so fingers crossed for 6 points from the final two games and a slice of luck with the other games.

• Like 2

Has anyone mentioned the dive that Barnes did in the first half aswell? No card, complete blatant dive. 

Should of been a standard yellow.

Then the Cork first challenge, no card, and then the two footed challenge, piss poor reffing.

To then top it off and not give handball at the end. A complete bottle job from the officials from start to finish in a game that mattered 

• Like 6

For me there's a number of people to blame for this year likely falling short. 

TM leaving us a bunch of grafters with no end product. Dolan up top only works Vs nervy defences, prefer him on the wing. Lad has energy but less end product. Hedges can do some really good stuff, till it gets to the box. Gally too falls into the grafter over clinical if you have to put him somewhere. Teams need graft but they need end product. Nothing wrong with having one of these players in your team, teams need energy and graft. A couple or all three and it unbalances it and leaves you with very little goal threat. 

Likewise at CB. Carter and Wharton have made some errors but I do wonder what would have happened if we had a seasoned centre back who played over half the games. In Ayala we've been paying good money for very little leaving us overly reliant on young players coming through. 

Then there's Bereton - don't know whether it's TM, Broughton or Venkys but not selling him and watching him coast has cost us a decent transfer fee and meant we've had a player at half his effectiveness. Last season part of the reason Bereton got so many goals was he worked his socks off. Without that he's not got enough talent to influence games. 

Then there's Broughton. Any fool could have seen we needed strikers and goals. We get none. Vale and Hirst clearly weren't good enough and yet no effort is made whatsoever to get in a decent striker. Words fail me on this one. It's the biggest negligence for years even in our club. 

Even when we did make an effort, of kind, with the Forest lad, we still criminally arse it up. What's galling about this is that even with his negligence on the striker front, even just a seasoned quality pro in midfield could have massively been the difference. Not hard to imagine with him in cm we would have held on in at least one of the Preston or Coventry games. Every little hinders seem to be our motto. 

My other big worry is how mentally fragile we are. A hangover from TM days, because we are a young team, something else I'm not too sure. But it is a very worrying trend. The quarter final loss has knocked all stuffing out of the team. The fact we took forever to get a point from going behind. There's a fragility about us which I find really concerning. 

As for JDT I fluctuate. On one hand with what he was dealt, the squad he was left with and Broughton messing about, you can only praise him. I do however have big reservations about how we have sat back on leads at times, his use of Morton, and the daft passing it round the back needlessly. All are worrying signs. 

Not sure why I'm more reflective on the season than the game - probably because I don't want to think about another, and unfortunste, loss to that lot. An undeserved loss and painful seeing them do well. Strangely I've far less time for this iteration of the Dongles than the lot under Dyche that we played. A win or even a draw would have been a consolation to a disappointing end to the season. Think playoffs are gone now as too many teams need to mess up. But stranger things have happened so I'll keep hoping. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

OK, last summer, Mowbray and half the team had gone followed by not one of the fans favourites being hired.

The drums of Venky doom were being played as we all expected a horrible season fighting relegation under someone cheap, hired in desperation.

Suddenly we hired GB and JDT. Eyebrows and hopes were raised. What is this ?

We had long clamoured to start our promising youth under Mowbray, yet he stubbornly used men anywhere on the park. Men who didn't care enough about Rovers to sign new contracts.

On the pitch we got our wish to see our youth stutter, grow and flourish in front of our eyes. Adam Wharton's Blue and White was ringing out last night with pride.

Relegation ? No....

A play off push keeping the embers of hope burning with only 2 to go.

Two cup runs filled with pride we had long forgotten about.

On the pitch, JDT has done his job this season, his first season.

I applaud. Well done Jon and Thank You.

Off the pitch, it's now over to you Gregg !

Get us what we need so we can have our own promotion party this time next season.

Even sweeter in a Burnley relegation season.

Excellent bit of perspective. When we were sat with no DoF and no manager days before pre season started and a threadbare squad, we were fearing a bad bad season. It'll be an absolute sickener if we don't get top 6 but we've exceeded all expectations this season. 

To me the squad feels like it has some direction and it feels like we're a good window away from really pushing on. 

• Like 6

It hurts obviously, but it hurts a hell of a lot less than at their place, because the players gave it their all, hence the applause at the end.

I'm genuinely worried a big team is going to come in for Adam Wharton, anyone who follows football can see he's an outstanding footballer and will go to the very top. Maybe that's been the masterplan all along from JDT, to keep him out of the limelight most of the season 🤔 

As an aside, I've not sat in the Riverside for a good few years till last night, was absolutely shocked to see the state of some of it. The metal stairs looks like they're not far off being declared dangerous they're in such a poor state of disrepair.

Well, I was there, and I'm hoarse as a camel this morning, and can confirm that the crowd did everything they could to lift the team over the inevitable disability of playing without a striker and a referee so blinkered he might as well have been officiating from Turd Moor via Zoom. I kept saying to myself that we'd clock the idiocy of trying to go high into the box with everything against their giant keeper, that we would find a way to get the ball on the floor in the box with one of our more level headed players going towards goal with a chance of a shot, that we would stop trying to walk the ball into the net and that one, just one of our number would take responsibility for having a go. But no... it wasn't to be and we paid the inevitable price. 😞

I loved the commitment and passion showed by our players and hated the arrogance and shithousery showed by theirs. I loved the noise of our crowd and the absolute roasting we gave the Dingle mini-hordes.

But once again, the old saying, "If you keep doing what you are doing, you'll only get the same result' came back to haunt us. Against the old foe it hurt real bad, but taking the positives from that game gives us so much to look forward to IF we can fix the obvious flaws:

1) Get a striker in ffs.

2) BBD, thanks for the ride, but it is time to get off and let us fill your boots with someone who gives a shit

3) Find the belief from somewhere to come back from a deficit and to go on and win games like this, where we are clearly dominating play

Man of the match, Adam Wharton, by a clear country mile.

Villain of the piece - that referee: what a cunning stunt (anag).

I'm thinking forward to next season now and what that needs to look and feel like. I hope we won't have as many heartbreaks as this one, but hey ho, at least the passion is back!

COYB!!

8 hours ago, SBlue said:

No, but I’m terms of performance, passing, intent, control, tactics. The thing that gives a team an identity and the platform to consistently win games rather than just scab a few with a Diaz.

We are going in the right direction. It’s been a good season.

Doesn't feel like it at the moment mind.

Is that you Tony?

I thought we played well last night but the old issues killed us, the final pass, poor crossing, no one brave enough to take a shot on and the beyond dreadful set pieces. We are so bad that corners and free kicks provide us with no offensive benefit at all, it is just woeful.

I really like JDT, he has done well but just hasn’t been given the tools to do the job, the January window fiasco was criminal.

• Like 1