BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v The Dingles (h) - 25/04/2023, k/o 8pm

28 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

As for JDT I fluctuate. On one hand with what he was dealt, the squad he was left with and Broughton messing about, you can only praise him. I do however have big reservations about how we have sat back on leads at times, his use of Morton, and the daft passing it round the back needlessly. All are worrying signs. 

This is absolutely the correct analysis. Very concisely and perceptively put sir.

• Like 8

Obviously disspointing to lose to that lot again, but there was much to be positive about last night.

For large periods, we had the better of the game against the division's best team. Our general play was very good, but we all know where are deficiencies are.

I'm genuinely optimistic for next season, if - and it's a very big IF - the club invest smartly and Broughton does what he's paid to do.

Our fans were excellent again last night, great backing.

In hindsight, we perhaps should have given them the whole end - we might have actually heard them. Plenty of other sides have had far better vocal support than the Clampets. Their support remains a myth.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

I thought we played well last night but the old issues killed us, the final pass, poor crossing, no one brave enough to take a shot on and the beyond dreadful set pieces. We are so bad that corners and free kicks provide us with no offensive benefit at all, it is just woeful.

I really like JDT, he has done well but just hasn’t been given the tools to do the job, the January window fiasco was criminal.

The only thing I lay at JDT’s door is the limited use of Adam Wharton, post his Blackpool debut. Over a season, especially one in which we have struggled to create and score, playing him would definitely have garnered additional points and seen us in the play offs.

• Like 3

Jon Dahl Tomasson need to use last night has motivate and tell the squad this need to be them either end of the current season or end of next season. I firmly believe we are on the right track under JDT to achieve the promotion target. We need a few signings in the summer but most of the squad will here next season.

• Like 5

By and large last night was men against boys.

Burnley did all they needed and one sensed they could easily step up a gear if needed.

Let's be honest, if we won an away match like Burnley did last night, most would be saying 'a classic away performance, soaked up the pressure, they huffed and they puffed but never threatened, they didn't create a note worthy chance, our keeper hadn't a save to make and we showed them how it's done with a superb finish'.

Make no mistake, IMO, JDT has been found out big time in this last few matches.  His selections and tactics have been wrong.  How many times has he changed things and we've seen a second half improvement.  We were excellent at Huddersfield in the 2nd half but instead of keeping the same team and momentum for the Hull match he pisses about and we saw the result of that!

Adam Wharton is a superlative talent.  He showed this at Blackpool but instead of building on that, JDT jettisoned him until very recently.  My God that seems crass and awful management.  That lad could have had us in the play offs or even pressing for automatic promotion if Broughton had managed to find a half decent striker in one of his two windows.

Obviously, we needed goals but mysteriously JDT has failed to give our most natural goalscorer (Leonard) a chance despite two impressive cameos where he was unlucky not to come away with 3 goals.  The lad has an eye and a nose for goal and can be found in the right place at the right time.  IMO, horrible mismanagement of resource and talent, again (as with Adam Wharton) by JDT.  The perseverance with Dolan is absolutely mystifying - IMO, a schoolboy masquerading as a headless chicken.

Besides Wharton, a big plus from last night was JRC's new found aggression.  The lad has been superb since he fought his way back and I salute him.  Get his feckin contract done Broughton.

Some are blaming Pickering for allowing Benson inside for Burnley's goal which is partially right, however, the trouble started with Carter p1ssing about and giving the ball away thinking he was Franz Beckenbauer.

A very, very disappointing finish to a season.  Another excellent opportunity spurned - they wont keep coming along.  And why?  Firstly, IMO, Broughton's mismanagement of two windows - failure to land a half decent striker and failure to close the O'Brien deal (Broughton is our DOF and it's his responsibility to ensure things get done as they should, SIMPLE AS THAT AND NO EXCUSES.  What a difference another striker and O'Brien would have made.  And secondly, I think JDT has bottled it with his team selections and tactics - fortune favours the bold and brave and not the safe and timid.   Prior to the New Year, we had more than our fair share of luck gathering points we didn't deserve - over recent games, we've found our lucky at the bank to be overdrawn; these things tend to balance out over the season so unlucky is not an adjective I would use.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, booth said:

The morning after.

In one dugout a man who had been given a bottomless pit of money to win the league.

In the other, a man whose recruitment team got the paperwork for an excellent loanee midfielder wrong, and couldn’t even be bothered with his main request for a centre forward. This meant that against our fiercest rivals we didn’t have a single senior striker in the squad.

But that’s not the full story. We still outfought and outplayed them despite our obvious limitations on and off the pitch. The difference was a well taken goal by a €4m substitute. Not many teams in this league can do that. In contrast we brought on a 19 year old academy lad.

I would hope Steve Waggott and Gregg Broughton had a sleepless night, knowing that they are responsible for the failure to achieve at least a play off place from our January position. They’ve let the club, the fans, the players and the manager down. Though I’m sure they slept soundly.

Can you imagine Gareth Ainsworth playing Dolan v Burnley...?   He got a result at the turf. 

It's on the manager this, for me he can go now.

JDT out as per @Mercer post above.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Burnley did all they needed and one sensed they could easily step up a gear if needed.

Let's be honest, if we won an away match like Burnley did last night, most would be saying 'a classic away performance, soaked up the pressure, they huffed and they puffed but never threatened, they didn't create a note worthy chance, our keeper hadn't a save to make and we showed them how it's done with a superb finish'.

Make no mistake, IMO, JDT has been found out big time in this last few matches.  His selections and tactics have been wrong.  How many times has he changed things and we've seen a half time improvement.  We were excellent at Huddersfield in the 2nd half but instead of keeping the same team and momentum for the Hull match he pisses about and we saw the result of that!

Adam Wharton is a superlative talent.  He showed this at Blackpool but instead of building on that, JDT jettisoned him until very recently.  My God that seems crass and awful management.  That lad could have had us in the play offs or even pressing for automatic promotion if Broughton had managed to find a half decent striker in one of his two windows.

Obviously, we needed goals but mysteriously JDT has failed to give our most natural goalscorer (Leonard) a chance despite two impressive cameos where he was unlucky not to come away with 3 goals.  The lad has an eye and a nose for goal and can be found in the right place at the right time.  IMO, horrible mismanagement of resource and talent, again (as with Adam Wharton) by JDT.  The perseverance with Dolan is absolutely mystifying - IMO, a schoolboy masquerading as a headless chicken.

Besides Wharton, a big plus from last night was JRC's new found aggression.  The lad has been superb since he fought his way back and I salute him.  Get his feckin contract done Broughton.

Some are blaming Pickering for allowing Benson inside for Burnley's goal which is partially right, however, the trouble started with Carter p1ssing about and giving the ball away thinking he was Franz Beckenbauer.

A very, very disappointing finish to a season.  Another excellent opportunity spurned - they wont keep coming along.  And why?  Firstly, IMO, Broughton's mismanagement of two windows - failure to land a half decent striker and failure to close the O'Brien deal (Broughton is our DOF and it's his responsibility to ensure things get done as they should, SIMPLE AS THAT AND NO EXCUSES.  What a difference another striker and O'Brien would have made.  And secondly, I think JDT has bottled it with his team selections and tactics - fortune favours the bold and brave and not the safe and timid.   Prior to the New Year, we had more than our fair share of luck gathering points we didn't deserve - over recent games, we've found our lucky at the bank to be overdrawn; these things tend to balance out over the season so unlucky is not an adjective I would use.

The view from a Ribble Valley living room, packed with Dingles and errant Rovers. Some valid points but still can’t understand why as a Rovers fan of sixty years, you elect not to support your club when most needed.

• Like 3

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Can you imagine Gareth Ainsworth playing Dolan v Burnley...?   He got a result at the turf. 

1 minute ago, Sparks Rover said:

I’m not blaming the manager, he’s worked miracles with the tools at his disposal. Let down by Broughton / Waggott and if backed, he will likely get us there.

4 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

The view from a Ribble Valley living room, packed with Dingles and errant Rovers. Some valid points but still can’t understand why as a Rovers fan of sixty years, you elect not to support your club when most needed.

The club most needed my support when they were almost rock bottom of the old Third Division playing in front of only a few thousand and at times when coaching staff were helping too pay the electricity bills.  I was there standing loud and proud, home and away.  I don't need lectures from you.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, 1874 said:

Or had Pickering been told under no circumstances let Benson cut in on his left foot. He's just scored in the last two games  that way

Elementary full back play. Weigh up which way they really want to go and make sure they don’t. Even the dogs in the street knew which way Benson would want to go. Of course if you’re a one footed full back you’ve made life hard for yourself.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Well we definitely know someone who ‘bottled it’ in more ways than one…

A cheap, cheap shot.

I will chose to watch Rovers' games any way I wish whether that be at a live match or on television.

Eight of us had a wonderful evening despite the result for four of us.

Yes we did 'bottle it' - a dozen empty wine bottles and over a dozen empty beer bottles landed in the recycle bin this morning.

Hope you enjoyed your night.

• Like 1

• Backroom

A minor and insignificant point but why did Sky have Michael Brown on last night, in roughly 678 games we’ve been on sky this season he’s not been on commentary but then is there alluding to how he’s mates with a few of the Burnley lads 

It makes no odds but was annoying 

• Like 2

Would love it if someone could post the Cork tackle on Dolan. Ref had a clear view. Wonder if it was because it was the mighty champions and their captain that he didn't issue a red, or whether it was because Dolan didn't seem to make too much noise about it considering the contact could have been a lot worse than it was.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mercer said:

The club most needed my support when they were almost rock bottom of the old Third Division playing in front of only a few thousand and at times when coaching staff were helping too pay the electricity bills.  I was there standing loud and proud, home and away.  I don't need lectures from you.

I was there too and still am.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mercer said:

A cheap, cheap shot.

I will chose to watch Rovers' games any way I wish whether that be at a live match or on television.

Eight of us had a wonderful evening despite the result for four of us.

Yes we did 'bottle it' - a dozen empty wine bottles and over a dozen empty beer bottles landed in the recycle bin this morning.

Hope you enjoyed your night.

Well please don't lecture our fans who are they are there Every home league game without fail supporting the team. 

You are obsess with mentioning about wine everytime for some reason like we need to know. 

Completely disagree with your previous opinion of the game aswell 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Make no mistake, IMO, JDT has been found out big time in this last few matches.  His selections and tactics have been wrong.  How many times has he changed things and we've seen a second half improvement.  We were excellent at Huddersfield in the 2nd half but instead of keeping the same team and momentum for the Hull match he pisses about and we saw the result of that!

We need a dislike button.

What utter, utter nonsense from a bloke that couldn't even be bothered to attend the match.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Tom said:

A minor and insignificant point but why did Sky have Michael Brown on last night, in roughly 678 games we’ve been on sky this season he’s not been on commentary but then is there alluding to how he’s mates with a few of the Burnley lads 

It makes no odds but was annoying 

Cos Sky are doing 10 EFL games in 10 days. So will change their commentary team

9 hours ago, JHRover said:

I am becoming more and more convinced that we are on the right track with JDT at the helm and that he is a good manager. I think we've got lucky. He's had us in contention all season, and even with the sucker punches of the last 3 games it is worth remembering what we are dealing with and what we are up against. But for very fine margins our performances could easily have warranted 7-9 points from these 3 games rather than just 2. 

I know it is a results business and over the last 10 games they have been poor, but again tonight we deserved more than we got.

People have been telling me all season what a great side they are and what a good manager Kompany is. Well if tonight is anything to go by I'm not impressed. JDT had him sussed and but for one attempt from distance or a competent referee we'd have had something.

Yes it's time to bring the referee up. Cork should have been yellow carded within 3 minutes of being on the pitch. Then another few minutes later, when he was booked, that should have either been a straight red or at least his second yellow. That let off came 2-3 minutes before their goal just as we were enjoying a good spell. The same referee who had no such restraint or patience when sending Ayala and Garrett off earlier this season, but consistency is too much to expect with these jokers. I haven't seen the penalty again but believe from a screenshot it is blatant handball. Then 4 minutes added time - really? 8 substitutions, 4-5 yellow cards, pitch invasions and warning their keeper about timewasting and the bog standard 4 minutes is considered reasonable? Shocking.

Back to the stuff we can control and we are paying the price for negligent management upstairs. It has likely cost us a play-off position and I predict it will ensure JDT walks at the first opportunity putting us back to square one. Once again a couple of good additions in January would have made all the difference in a game like tonight, instead we are bringing Harry Leonard on in a desperate bid to find a goal. It just isn't good enough and the blame for that lies upstairs. They've let us all down. 

Thought the players put in a great effort tonight and none of them did much wrong. They need to pick themselves up again and give it everything in these last 2 which are effectively pre-play offs, the Millwall game could be a play-off for the play-offs. In some ways it is perfectly simple - if we can't beat Luton at home and Millwall away, two sides we are going to need to be able to overcome in our quest to get the top 6 and progress through them, then is there any point in getting in them or do we deserve to?

Amen brother!

Still hurting from last night. But as a performance especially compared to the game back in November. We were as good as we've been all season. Unfortunately that's football we have to be at our very best to have a chance of winning. A team doing as well as Burnley can win without playing well. That's why they are where they are. I don't think we're a million miles away from where we all want this club to be. Man for man we battled all over the pitch. Adam Wharton was absolutely exceptional again and bossed that midfield. Against far more experienced and 'better' players. With a proven goal scorer we would have won 3/3 games this last week. Fine margins. We go into these last two games playing well. Let's see where we end up. 

• Like 2