BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v The Dingles (h) - 25/04/2023, k/o 8pm

I’ve tried to take some time and reflect on the actual match and performance, but I’m still pretty crushed.

Wharton was obviously a class above. Him and Benson provided the moments of quality. JRC is one we must tie down to a good long term deal immediately and I’d also make him captain. The bully Barnes was put in his place.

Unpopular opinion, but Hyam is in a poor spell of form at the moment. He’s a way off the massively high standards he set early doors and his distribution last night put us in trouble a few times, while Carter made a single more costly error he was more consistent.

Pickering should probably have been hooked as soon as he got booked. Obvious what Benson would try and do and being on a yellow stopped him preventing it. I’m not even sure he should’ve been booked as it looked from the back of the Riverside like it was Wharton who actually committed the foul.

Hedges and Dolan huffed and puffed but neither ever looked like threatening the keeper. For the first time I thought Brereton lacked enough effort, perhaps I was being kind to him over recent weeks. Travis was disappointing, liked how Sorba Thomas showed some fight at the end.

We are hampered by the lack of a centre forward, but we also limit ourselves by overplaying around their box and not getting a shot off. I’m still annoyed at how we continued to play about incessantly at the back when we were desperate for a goal.

Oh, and Craig Bellamy is still an absolute prick. Very unlikeable little man. Bankruptcy is karma.

Edited by Miller11
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Though maybe don’t call the players and manager bollock-less bottlers if you don’t have the bottle to even sit in the JWU though, ay? 😁

It only takes one mindless idiot to permanently damage a person's life and that of their family - that could be on the way to the ground, in the ground or coming away from the ground.

At my age, I am far more circumspect about the situations I put myself in.

If you and others do not recognise, respect or understand that then maybe you should question your own commonsense and intelligence or more likely lack of.

Your comparison is utter tosh.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I just dont get this huge disparity between last season and this, to me they are so similar. Both seasons in which we maintained top 6 places for the majority of the season only to stumble badly in the last few months. This season, a run of 7 without a win when it matters, all the usual hard luck stories, late goals, missed penalties, whatever, and just a realisation that we aren't up to it. Big if but if we draw and win, we will finish on the same points with not far off the same squad, with both seasons seeing younger than average sides each week.

For starters, last season we became only the third side in Championship history to be in the promotion places at the turn of the year (all three have been managed by Mowbray). So, with that in mind, the second half of the season collapse was far greater.

As for the same squad, we lost several key players and have had to rely on youth far more this season. Throw in that last season benefitted from what will undoubtedly prove to be BBDs career-defining purple patch and you can consider that another place to fill.

Most importantly, JDT talks about the future of the club with optimism. He's been realistic in his assessment of our promotion credentials this season, but he doesn't talk about us just being a small club that is realistically unable to compete with other teams in the division.

Mowbray spent his last two seasons here desperately trying to reduce expectations as much as possible. We were to be grateful for every point, thankful for every player that decided to turn up, and hopeful only for the prospect that we might maintain midtable mediocrity.

JDT might not get us up, but he's been a breath of fresh air and I think that's reflected in a lot of areas of the club (including players choosing to resign). 

3 hours ago, Penwortham Blue said:

One plus for me is that JDT doesn’t belittle our club. He looks like he enjoys the job and is privileged to have it, despite his fantastic career and world class pedigree. The journeyman from Middlesbrough, seemed to resent every minute he spent here and that he was doing us a favour and and made you feel like slitting your wrists in his pre and post match monologues.

Spot on.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

@Mercer has also been watching for over 60 years and has the right to pick his games without criticism from idiots.

I agree that he has the right to choose which games to go to, but his 'length of service' is irrelevant.

There are no tiers of fandom; we're all in the same boat whether you've been to 10 games or 100.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andy said:

I agree that he has the right to choose which games to go to, but his 'length of service' is irrelevant.

There are no tiers of fandom; we're all in the same boat whether you've been to 10 games or 100.

The replies were to accusations that if we didn't attend last night we aren't "proper" fans.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JohnD said:

The replies were to accusations that if we didn't attend last night we aren't "proper" fans.

If folk can’t attend for health, economic, distance or other practical reasons, then of course they are still ‘proper’ fans. I just find it surprising that people would choose not to go and support their team in such a match on a can’t be bothered basis but apologies, I genuinely didn’t mean to cause any offence.

• Like 3

I find its totally baffling and laughable that people are talking that we should be sacking JDT. This is head coach who has managed and done very well with squad which including a playoff chase which many didn't think was possible and 2 very good cup runs. 

9 hours ago, Mercer said:

Don't be so sanctimonious Chaddy.  Watching Rovers is NOT MANDATORY but A CHOICE.  Football is a competing entertainments' industry.  Supporters want to be entertained, they want value for money - some 10,000 have 'opted out' over recent times.

Football is sport and its about winning and supporting your club through the good and bad times which I will do every single game and season. 

What do you do socially?  The UK's wine market is worth about £25BILLION annually - we aren't all wrong!

not for me to post what I do socially on Football messageboard. if you so interested I will send you DM later 

Football is about opinions - our fathers and grandfathers fought in two World Wars to allow us to openly express our opinions.  You might not agree with my opinion but others do.

Just about to leave the house for a good walk followed by a lovely lunch and a glass or two or three or four of wine - is that ok?

does the forum really need to know that you are having glasses of wine? no its doesn't. 

8 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

You very CLEARLY have no idea as to the process that was in place and the reasons why it was a cock up of huge proportion.

It was down to admin and late submission of paperwork after the additional info was raised.

Rovers have admitted as much and the reason for the appeal was based around semantics of the actual processes. GB did not have any paperwork to complete or deal with, and he took the blame as a face because neither SW or the secretary had the bollocks to face up to their failures.

Instead of relying in comments from bizarre hysteria/misinformation do yourself a favour and research the issue yourself to find out the reality, you might just satisfy yourself that blame lies with others.

Thanks 

8 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Whose fault was it we haven’t got a striker?

Never really needed O’Brien. Just needed to play Adam Wharton.

Of course that was GB and he took full responsible for. 

Did Waggott or Silvester take their blame for the admin problem and face the media? no they didn't but GB took the blame there for something that isn't in inbox. 

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

For starters, last season we became only the third side in Championship history to be in the promotion places at the turn of the year (all three have been managed by Mowbray). So, with that in mind, the second half of the season collapse was far greater.

As for the same squad, we lost several key players and have had to rely on youth far more this season. Throw in that last season benefitted from what will undoubtedly prove to be BBDs career-defining purple patch and you can consider that another place to fill.

Most importantly, JDT talks about the future of the club with optimism. He's been realistic in his assessment of our promotion credentials this season, but he doesn't talk about us just being a small club that is realistically unable to compete with other teams in the division.

Mowbray spent his last two seasons here desperately trying to reduce expectations as much as possible. We were to be grateful for every point, thankful for every player that decided to turn up, and hopeful only for the prospect that we might maintain midtable mediocrity.

JDT might not get us up, but he's been a breath of fresh air and I think that's reflected in a lot of areas of the club (including players choosing to resign). 

Spot on.

We lost 3 key players on frees but replaced all essentially with equals for a combined £4-5m. Brereton's "purple patch" can't just be considered a fluke either, the way we played both tactically and his position was much more suited to him.

I can't get my head around this analysis of every word either but how you portray it simply isnt true. Tomasson says in every single press conference that we shouldnt be where we are in the league. They are all reading off the usual script of managerial platitudes, play things down

I am much happier with Tomasson and Mowbray had had his day, dont get me wrong. But night and day as has been said? Not at all. Similar seasons (potentially) with falling away mainly down to an underfunded squad negligently managed by the owners and their staff and over reliant on the academy, but not without both managers making poor decisions along the way, especially towards the end, having done brilliantly to get us so high for so long in the first place.

4 hours ago, Penwortham Blue said:

One plus for me is that JDT doesn’t belittle our club. He looks like he enjoys the job and is privileged to have it, despite his fantastic career and world class pedigree. The journeyman from Middlesbrough, seemed to resent every minute he spent here and that he was doing us a favour and and made you feel like slitting your wrists in his pre and post match monologues.

No he doesn't. He has embraced the club, the culture of the club and the fans which he praised every single time. Also Mowbray annoyed me about being away from his Family too much but JDT is similar with his family being in Holland he has only mentioned once and never again.  

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I get that and I was very much of the opinion that Mowbray had outstayed his welcome whereas Tomasson is someone I very much hope remains in the job into next season.

I just dont really follow the narrative of the last 2 seasons being night and day. I actually think they have been very similar in so many ways, especially the way we have dipped off so badly in both. Overall very much above average seasons but tinged with (potential) frustration. But if you read on here, last season was a disgrace yet this is a success, which even factoring in season 1 v 5 is not quite balanced.

Mowbray was in years 5 of his time at the club where JDT is in his first season at Rovers and in the championship. JDT has a way he wants to play and the players we have or players signing in the future will fit into those tactics not the Mowbray way. We are in year 1 of his tenure and I feel very positive and happy him overall this season. Now I hope we can kick on and develop next season if we don't get a playoff place. 

• Like 1

On 25/04/2023 at 16:27, neophox said:

What we do is that we can match every team ib this league. The problem is our strikers...Gally, Dolan and Hedges won't score 10-15 goals a season... We need some proper strikers who can actually score goals. 

Like say a Jordan Rhodes or Rudy Gestede type?  Did not help much.  I think if JDT stays he will get his kind of strikers, if he is supported also.  Gut feeling says both of those things won't happen.

19 hours ago, Blue blood said:

For me there's a number of people to blame for this year likely falling short. 

TM leaving us a bunch of grafters with no end product. Dolan up top only works Vs nervy defences, prefer him on the wing. Lad has energy but less end product. Hedges can do some really good stuff, till it gets to the box. Gally too falls into the grafter over clinical if you have to put him somewhere. Teams need graft but they need end product. Nothing wrong with having one of these players in your team, teams need energy and graft. A couple or all three and it unbalances it and leaves you with very little goal threat. 

Likewise at CB. Carter and Wharton have made some errors but I do wonder what would have happened if we had a seasoned centre back who played over half the games. In Ayala we've been paying good money for very little leaving us overly reliant on young players coming through. 

Then there's Bereton - don't know whether it's TM, Broughton or Venkys but not selling him and watching him coast has cost us a decent transfer fee and meant we've had a player at half his effectiveness. Last season part of the reason Bereton got so many goals was he worked his socks off. Without that he's not got enough talent to influence games. 

Then there's Broughton. Any fool could have seen we needed strikers and goals. We get none. Vale and Hirst clearly weren't good enough and yet no effort is made whatsoever to get in a decent striker. Words fail me on this one. It's the biggest negligence for years even in our club. 

Even when we did make an effort, of kind, with the Forest lad, we still criminally arse it up. What's galling about this is that even with his negligence on the striker front, even just a seasoned quality pro in midfield could have massively been the difference. Not hard to imagine with him in cm we would have held on in at least one of the Preston or Coventry games. Every little hinders seem to be our motto. 

My other big worry is how mentally fragile we are. A hangover from TM days, because we are a young team, something else I'm not too sure. But it is a very worrying trend. The quarter final loss has knocked all stuffing out of the team. The fact we took forever to get a point from going behind. There's a fragility about us which I find really concerning. 

As for JDT I fluctuate. On one hand with what he was dealt, the squad he was left with and Broughton messing about, you can only praise him. I do however have big reservations about how we have sat back on leads at times, his use of Morton, and the daft passing it round the back needlessly. All are worrying signs. 

Not sure why I'm more reflective on the season than the game - probably because I don't want to think about another, and unfortunste, loss to that lot. An undeserved loss and painful seeing them do well. Strangely I've far less time for this iteration of the Dongles than the lot under Dyche that we played. A win or even a draw would have been a consolation to a disappointing end to the season. Think playoffs are gone now as too many teams need to mess up. But stranger things have happened so I'll keep hoping. 

A very good season review there.

• Like 2

For those mentioning Bellamy hes always been an unlikable little prick even when he was here briefly he was one.

Scored a few goals though so nobody cared but part of the reason he flopped at Liverpool and Newcastle was because nobody liked him.

Ironic that bankrupt and still a little prick hes found a good fit at Burnley putting out the bibs and cones.