Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

tony mowbray  

50 members have voted

1. 1. will sunderland get to the promised land

• yes
    • no
    • they will fail embarassingly

56 minutes ago, goozburger said:

The comments from some of their fans are eerily reminiscent of Mowbray's time here. "Tactically inept. Can't organise a defence. Nice bloke."

And tonight I've seen things along the lines of "Doesn't matter who the manager is, we've got bigger problems". All very familiar!

They were saying that for two thirds of last season and there was a real 'out' groundswell brewing up then they went on a run. By the end of the season they were giving him the keys to the city.

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, tomphil said:

They were saying that for two thirds of last season and there was a real 'out' groundswell brewing up then they went on a run. By the end of the season they were giving him the keys to the city.

Tbf, that IS a punishment, Sunderland is a proper hovel. Makes Burnley look like Sandringham.

• Like 2

• Backroom

He came out with an odd comment in a recent presser about being stuck with "third and fourth choices," for bringing in strikers... great way to sell a move to potential signings there. We didn't particularly want you but you'll have to do. 

A lot of Sunderland fans seem to think he'll walk based on his body language and demeanor, but how often did people say that when he was here? It's no indication as he usually looks and sounds downbeat anyway.

As for the board getting rid of him, seems possible as it was obvious they wanted someone else in the summer but presumably bowed to fan pressure to keep him on - or were knocked back by their preferred candidates and begrudgingly kept him on. Doesn't seem like a great situation regardless, and changing manager at this stage with such a young team would be risky to say the least. 

Would be a weird one for Dack as well. Reunited with his mentor only to see him leave weeks later. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DE. said:

He came out with an odd comment in a recent presser about being stuck with "third and fourth choices," for bringing in strikers... great way to sell a move to potential signings there. We didn't particularly want you but you'll have to do. 

A lot of Sunderland fans seem to think he'll walk based on his body language and demeanor, but how often did people say that when he was here? It's no indication as he usually looks and sounds downbeat anyway.

As for the board getting rid of him, seems possible as it was obvious they wanted someone else in the summer but presumably bowed to fan pressure to keep him on - or were knocked back by their preferred candidates and begrudgingly kept him on. Doesn't seem like a great situation regardless, and changing manager at this stage with such a young team would be risky to say the least. 

Would be a weird one for Dack as well. Reunited with his mentor only to see him leave weeks later. 

The "feel sorry for me please its not my fault" approach isn't washing with Sunderland fans one bit, many of then are already fed up with it. He'll be gone by Christmas. 

• Like 2

For all the 'woe is me' routine from Mowbray I can't see there's any way at all that he's going to walk away from a gig like Sunderland.

He stuck at it here for over 5 years and admitted he would have stayed on for more if he had been offered the chance. That's despite Venkys, cost cutting and the really difficult long journey down from Teesside.

Now at Sunderland I suppose his nose might be a bit out of joint if he's got an owner and director of football imposing a certain structure or criteria on him. His signing of Dack however suggests he has some sway over transfers. He probably wants more like he had here with him and Venus running the show.

But no he's not one to throw in the towel. He did it at Coventry but that was only when results and their crisis made it untenable. As long as results keep ticking over he'll hang about.

10 minutes ago, JHRover said:

He stuck at it here for over 5 years and admitted he would have stayed on for more if he had been offered the chance.

I think he was in a comfort zone at Rovers. When the supporters have beef with the higher echelons of a club, I suppose it's not a bad bit of protection to have for yourself when you pull out "miracles".

• Like 1

I said the min he went there he'd do ok but there is no hiding place with that lot like there was here. Last years success has made a rod for his back and judging from the comments iv'e seen from him he is acutely aware of this.

So now in typical style he's setting about detaching himself from any accountability.

Thing is with Mowbray when things are going well he's playing a major part but when they go wrong it's nothing to do with him, his selection, tactics, systems or subs.

It's the players, the officials, the crowd or the middle of the road opposition being a really good team with really good players.

Having said all that knowing him they'll go and win the next 4 games !

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

mowbray would have stayed here forever,he was on easy money,i think the reason we did`nt give him a new deal was down to the players,after the derby match debacle and the bradley johnson up front on his own shambles,the players obviously ignored him and took it on themselves to win the match,tony sat there with a massive sulk on,i don`t think things were the same for him with the players after that

• Like 4

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

I said the min he went there he'd do ok but there is no hiding place with that lot like there was here. Last years success has made a rod for his back and judging from the comments iv'e seen from him he is acutely aware of this.

So now in typical style he's setting about detaching himself from any accountability.

Thing is with Mowbray when things are going well he's playing a major part but when they go wrong it's nothing to do with him, his selection, tactics, systems or subs.

It's the players, the officials, the crowd or the middle of the road opposition being a really good team with really good players.

Having said all that knowing him they'll go and win the next 4 games !

You're not a fan of TM then?

36 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

You're not a fan of TM then?

Not the last 2 years he was here no.

It was no surprise to me he ended up doing well there last season with somebody else's squad as he tends to start well wherever he goes. However it would be no surprise to see them level out in mediocrity if he stays but we'll see.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

mowbray would have stayed here forever,he was on easy money,i think the reason we did`nt give him a new deal was down to the players,after the derby match debacle and the bradley johnson up front on his own shambles,the players obviously ignored him and took it on themselves to win the match,tony sat there with a massive sulk on,i don`t think things were the same for him with the players after that

That is one of the most bizarre things iv'e seen in all my time watching Rovers and that's saying something.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

Its rare you see someone act so petulant in public. It was disgusting behaviour from Mowbray. Surreal to see players taking subtle digs at him on social media afterwards as well.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

Its rare you see someone act so petulant in public. It was disgusting behaviour from Mowbray. Surreal to see players taking subtle digs at him on social media afterwards as well.

What about the way he was after the game?

You'd think someone had just raped and murdered his entire family with the way he was.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

So it wasn’t because Bradley Johnson played up front against Derby then?

No it was imo another cost cutting reset with 2 out 3 in for similar outlay and the clear instruction to use youth first and don't ask for players on 15k plus pwk.

The opportunity to explore cheaper Euro markets being factored in as well replacing the previous lets look at former players of the manager first and using smog agents model.

Unlikely although it may have registered with those present who may or may not have been asked their opinion on keeping him. Alongside him and Venus clearly admitting advising some of the pending out of contract good players they'd be better off trying to get more money elsewhere.

Honest ?  Or spiteful #### ?

The jury was out on that.

19 minutes ago, booth said:

Playing Dack as a false 9 today.

no surprise is that when they have no strikers. 

He likes that system

I think Mowbray is under pressure there and I wouldn't be surprised if he is the first Championship managerial sacking either

Edited by chaddyrovers