BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Niall Ennis

• Backroom

Shebby's Portuguese no-hopers have to be up there as well. Fabio Nunes was here for 2 years and made seven appearances, Paulo Jorge was here for 3 years and made two appearances, and Edinho Junior was here for 2 years and made a single appearance. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 2

• Backroom
31 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I had Stokes vibes about it a long time ago and to be honest it's beginning to feel like history is about to repeat itself from that period in the not too distant.

Remember Simon Jordan getting a zinger about Stokes.

Apparently in trouble for hitting an Ellis impersonator, Jordan said something like ‘I paid him a fortune to impersonate a footballer’ 😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike E said:

Remember Simon Jordan getting a zinger about Stokes.

Apparently in trouble for hitting an Ellis impersonator, Jordan said something like ‘I paid him a fortune to impersonate a footballer’ 😂

I remember saying he'd end up in the gutter and i presume that's where he is by now.

2 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

IMG_1520.thumb.jpeg.bfaf9010b11fb62fda5e0c21d1b973ad.jpeg

There were rumours the other week swirling about an untimely demise but obviously it mustn't have been true however it wouldn't be a surprise if it was either.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tomphil said:

Truth is we can't judge him as an actual player all we can do is ask questions of the whole thing.

No doubt he'll go there and smash it then we'll be asking even more questions but i'll be shocked if his fitness is as bad as its been made out here.

There is more at the root of this one.

Plymouth fans raved about him in League 1 - although even there he had a bad injury record and his minutes were carefully managed.

At Ewood it was clear that he never hit the fitness levels that JDT requires as he was extremely reluctant to ever play him - I think he had 8 appearances for us?

When we did see him he looked very slow - my best description of him would be a bulky, 5'10" target man with a L1 first touch. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PotterLog said:

We (Stoke) are supposed to be signing him off you today. Schumacher was his manager at Plymouth. Skimming through your comments here is somewhat chastening. What can we expect...?

Super strange signing for us. Feels like our DoF bought a player the manager didnt like.

We try and play a high press with all our strikers closing down constantly for 90 mins. Ennis didnt seem physically or temperamentally suited to it.

• Like 2

Good riddance. Injury prone, unfit and doesnt look interested, cant see him cutting it here.

Big big question mark on quality of the Rovers scouts, or was there even proper scouting done before offering him a 4 years deal?

Shiny egg most probably jumped in without any scouting cause he was free

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DE. said:

Shebby's Portuguese no-hopers have to be up there as well. Fabio Nunes was here for 2 years and made seven appearances, Paulo Jorge was here for 3 years and made two appearances, and Edinho Junior was here for 2 years and made a single appearance. 

Oh mate that was awful. That whole period of our ownership was horrendous. It's bad now but that was a different level of bad 

• Like 1

According to BBC Ennis has signed a two and a half year deal with Stoke. Bearing in mind he still had three and a half years left on his rovers contract looks like the entire transfer fee and then some more will go on paying off that extra year.

• Like 1

Read this on the Oatcake Forum last night, as was fascinated to see their reaction:

"I work at Blackburn Rovers so have seen him all this season.... Well I've actually barely seen him because he never gets a game. Overweight in pre-season, couldn't stay fit, injured every game, poor footballer in general and I don't think he's even bothered one bit. Not happy with this at all."

The second to last line, if true is pretty damning. 

If anyone knows about a striker it's JDT, and the fact Jon mentioned his lack of fitness publicly pre-season is so telling. I really wanted him to succeed, he showed glimmers, put it down to rustiness, but there's no excuse for a bad attitude. Watch him score a hatful for Stoke now under his old boss, maybe he needs that...

• Like 4

15 hours ago, DE. said:

I remember Fabio Nunes looked like he might have something about him from the little we saw. Edinho Junior I remember for some reason he started the game after he signed, was hooked at half time and was never seen again. Definitely something dodgy about those transfers.

Bruno Ribeiro was another odd one. He wasn't seen for a year after signing and then he finally played a game and got MoM.

• Like 3

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, rob_of_the_rovers said:

I remember Fabio Nunes looked like he might have something about him from the little we saw. Edinho Junior I remember for some reason he started the game after he signed, was hooked at half time and was never seen again. Definitely something dodgy about those transfers.

Bruno Ribeiro was another odd one. He wasn't seen for a year after signing and then he finally played a game and got MoM.

Or as he was otherwise known, the Brazilian Denis Irwin.

45 minutes ago, rob_of_the_rovers said:

Yeah, I recall Nunes having some talent. Only one to manage more than a few appearances for us... he's managed an ok career since, bouncing around the 1st-2nd Portuguese leagues and still playing in the top Polish league.

Taking a glance now, Henrique (0 appearances for us) actually managed a few years in the top Portuguese league, then a few years in the lower divisions before retiring.

As for Paulo Jorge, Edinho Junior, and Diogo Rosado (all with 2-3 appearances for Rovers), can immediately tell they had the same agent shuffling them about as they all spent some time at now defunct Romanian club Gaz Metan. Jorge and Edinho both spent time at the same lower level German club, then some lower league Portuguese time before retiring. Rosado's still playing in the lower Portuguese leagues after time spent in France, Cyprus, Romania... Yeesh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rogerb said:

According to BBC Ennis has signed a two and a half year deal with Stoke. Bearing in mind he still had three and a half years left on his rovers contract looks like the entire transfer fee and then some more will go on paying off that extra year.

Why does it?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Look at it in the cold light of day.

On modest wages at Plymouth on contract signed in lge 1, some bizarre reason Rovers enquire about a known unfit player.

Plymouth offer him a payrise to 7k a week to stay as their hardly fit but goal scoring utility striker. Some bizarre reason Rovers offer him more and a 4 year contract to come up here.

Guy doesn't really want to but it's a no brainer and once the ink his dry who cares right (says his agent to him)

So he comes in already unfit, gets a knock, gets even unfitter, gets a bit fitter but Head Coach doesn't rate him so decides he really can't be arsed. Meanwhile ex boss who loves him gets new job, gets on the blower to his agent and says bide your time and i'll get you in here if i can.

End result he's had a pay rise, a long new contract, a settlement on some of that and another one somewhere else to replace it.  So in 6 months a modest paid plodder has earned himself a nice wedge and his agent has scooped double commission.

Non of which would have happened if Blackburn Rovers hadn't appeared on the scene.

It stinks and any decent owner would fire whoever lets the club get done over like this but it seems they've earned a reprieve (weren't getting fired anyway) by covering it in getting a fee from Stoke.

Anyone praising it as some sort of masterstroke by GB/Waggot is way off the mark i suggest.

They took a chance that a promising young player could make the step up to the Championship. He couldn't and they've, at worst, washed their face.

I don't see how anyone can complain about the whole situation. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

They took a chance that a promising young player could make the step up to the Championship. He couldn't and they've, at worst, washed their face.

I don't see how anyone can complain about the whole situation. 

Give over.

5 hours ago, tomphil said:

On modest wages at Plymouth on contract signed in lge 1, some bizarre reason Rovers enquire about a known unfit player.

Plymouth offer him a payrise to 7k a week to stay as their hardly fit but goal scoring utility striker. Some bizarre reason Rovers offer him more and a 4 year contract to come up here.

Guy doesn't really want to but it's a no brainer and once the ink his dry who cares right (says his agent to him)

So he comes in already unfit, gets a knock, gets even unfitter, gets a bit fitter but Head Coach doesn't rate him so decides he really can't be arsed. Meanwhile ex boss who loves him gets new job, gets on the blower to his agent and says bide your time and i'll get you in here if i can.

End result he's had a pay rise, a long new contract, a settlement on some of that and another one somewhere else to replace it.  So in 6 months a modest paid plodder has earned himself a nice wedge and his agent has scooped double commission.

Non of which would have happened if Blackburn Rovers hadn't appeared on the scene.

It stinks and any decent owner would fire whoever lets the club get done over like this but it seems they've earned a reprieve (weren't getting fired anyway) by covering it in getting a fee from Stoke.

Anyone praising it as some sort of masterstroke by GB/Waggot is way off the mark i suggest.

All aboard the BRFC moneygoround!

• Like 1

We paid zero, paid six months of Championship wages, medical bills and slimming tablets, got a goal which contributed to being the odd goal in 7 and avoiding a Walsall upset, made a memorable trap and assist in a Championship game and got sold for 500,000. 

Strikes me as break even or slightly ahead for Rovers.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, tomphil said:

Agreed. The Ennis saga is everything that is wrong with the club under these owners.

We made £500,000 out of him. Well whoopidoo!

He was a waste of space and contributed nothing in terms of the betterment of the team.

The Head Coach clearly thought the same.

Furthermore, we won't see any of the £500,000 in terms of reinvestment in the team.

1 minute ago, martonrover said:

Agreed. The Ennis saga is everything that is wrong with the club under these owners.

We made £500,000 out of him. Well whoopidoo!

He was a waste of space and contributed nothing in terms of the betterment of the team.

The Head Coach clearly thought the same.

Furthermore, we won't see any of the £500,000 in terms of reinvestment in the team.

Agents would have made a good bit of coin from it all though.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, philipl said:

We paid zero, paid six months of Championship wages, medical bills and slimming tablets, got a goal which contributed to being the odd goal in 7 and avoiding a Walsall upset, made a memorable trap and assist in a Championship game and got sold for 500,000. 

What about the opportunity cost?

1 hour ago, philipl said:

If they didn't give him a 4 yr c10k a week deal to a player previously on around half that it would have been plenty ahead. 

As it is as far as damage limitation goes they've done well but player and agent have done better.

These type of signings again should not happen and the fact they still do is worrying, if a DoF and CEO's judgement is that bad they shouldn't be in the job.

Who'd be surprised if the Leo signing doesn't follow a similar path.