BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Favourite rovers' player performance this century

I was just stood here idly pioneering this one. From the last twenty of years, what has been the individual performance in a match by a rovers player I've liked best

Funnily enough the last thirteen years didn't figure in my considerations.

There was one stand-out performance that I really loved, but first two honourable mentions. Friedel in the cup final, the man was just a wall that day. Secondly hakan Suker against Fulham, the man was just different gravy, a centre forward masterclass.

But the one I've liked best... Was mcateer playing at turf moor. Good lord, he was bloody everywhere that day. Just immense.

There'll be a ton that I've missed, so interested to hear what others think.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, broadsword said:

I was just stood here idly pioneering this one. From the last twenty of years, what has been the individual performance in a match by a rovers player I've liked best

Funnily enough the last thirteen years didn't figure in my considerations.

There was one stand-out performance that I really loved, but first two honourable mentions. Friedel in the cup final, the man was just a wall that day. Secondly hakan Suker against Fulham, the man was just different gravy, a centre forward masterclass.

But the one I've liked best... Was mcateer playing at turf moor. Good lord, he was bloody everywhere that day. Just immense.

There'll be a ton that I've missed, so interested to hear what others think.

Phil Jone’s league debut against Chelsea.

• Like 7

Bellamy at Portsmouth in whatever season it was he played for us. The finest performance I have seen in a Rovers since Shearer.

There are so many Friedel performances I can think of but the one that stands out for me was Souness' last game in charge at home to Man Utd he was sensational that day and robbed of a clean sheet by Alan Wiley missing a blatant handball to set up their last minute equaliser.

• Like 4

I know it doesn’t fit the brief, but whilst I’m thinking about it, Ruud Guilit played 45 mins in defence for Chelsea at Ewood and the 2nd 45 mins in attack, it’s the single best performance I’ve seen by any player live in my lifetime and he was past his sell by date by that point in his career!

Apparently John Carews trial in the youth team was exceptional, scored 5 goals, then asked for £1m signing on fee……Jim Furnell brought the lad in, but we turned his demands down. 

Edited by Gav

4 minutes ago, Gav said:

I know it doesn’t fit the brief, but whilst I’m thinking about it, Ruud Guilit played 45 mins in defence for Chelsea at Ewood and the 2nd 45 mins in attack, it’s the single best performance I’ve seen by any player live in my lifetime and he was past his sell by date by that point in his career!

To continue not fitting the brief....... Every single Arsenal player at Ewood during their invincible season. Patrick Veira was unbelievable. 

Mark Hughes in the league cup final v the over confident and big headed north London no marks. Darren Anderton shit himself. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

To continue not fitting the brief....... Every single Arsenal player at Ewood during their invincible season. Patrick Veira was unbelievable. 

Mark Hughes in the league cup final v the over confident and big headed north London no marks. Darren Anderton shit himself. 

+ his debut vs Tranmere.

13 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

got to be tugay`s masterclass against liverpool on boxing day 2006,he was simply on a different level

running it close is his performance when we beat west ham 7-1 in 2001,think it was mark noble who said "he looked old and had grey hair but i spent most of the match chasing him!!!"

Yeah Tugay vs Liverpool 2006 for me. Unreal world class quality.

• Backroom

I’m going left field here and saying Ryan Nelsen vs Charlton in Alan Curbishley’s last game there, cos it turned out afterwards that he’d broken his leg after 8-9mins and still finished the match!

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Bellamy at Portsmouth in whatever season it was he played for us. The finest performance I have seen in a Rovers since Shearer.

There are so many Friedel performances I can think of but the one that stands out for me was Souness' last game in charge at home to Man Utd he was sensational that day and robbed of a clean sheet by Alan Wiley missing a blatant handball to set up their last minute equaliser.

Yes he "missed" the hand ball.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

I was going to mention this. I live in the south so don't get to attend as many games as I'd like. I remember sitting in the away end and Pompey hammered us the majority of the match. 

Bellamy was absolutely unbelievable that day. Scored two incredible goals all by himself. The first of which he was running full speed, away from the goal on his weaker foot and rifled it straight into the far corner. 

Benitez misused him when he went to Liverpool. Saw him as nothing but a speed merchant to play on the shoulder of the last defender. He was so much more than that. Incredible player.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, J*B said:

Emerton vs. Wolves. It was never repeated. 

Speaking of performances that never repeated, Pedersen had a game (I think it was against Middlesbrough) at Ewood where, just for that one match, he looked like a proper flying winger! Really fast, great dribbling, kept beating men with the ball at his feet etc. I'm not saying it was his best game for us overall, I don't recall if he scored etc, but that aspect of his performance was weirdly unique. I never saw that in his locker before or since. Looked like a different player and had me questioning why he couldn't do that every week. I think it was in the middle of one of his poorer runs of form too.

Other one off performances that come to mind include Jay McEveley when he marked David Beckham out of the game, and Adam Henley playing very well against Manure and Liverpool I think it was, the games that apparently got Real Madrid scouting him. Neither player went on to fulfil the promise we thought they had, especially Henley.

None of those fit the brief of course...I'd probably go with Friedel in the Worthington Cup Final, as that one was the first that came to mind and it won us a trophy. Tugay's masterclass against Liverpool, as mentioned, for runner up. There is still a video on YouTube of every involvement he had in that match, warts and all, and they're nearly all flawless. I think he was 37 or 38 at the time?

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

On 03/06/2023 at 19:38, Oldgregg86 said:

Tim flowers v Newcastle 

no explanation needed

safe to say we had bottle

special mention to David Bentley v manure

On 03/06/2023 at 20:03, Oldgregg86 said:

I will have Bentley against united then

Bentley was class in that game. Tbh that’s the only one I can think of!

• Like 1