BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League 23-24

1 hour ago, KentExile said:

Isn't Holgate in talks with Southampton? & its already been mentioned but Gray off to Fulham

I have read similar things but for me they would be in the squad right now if fit. My starting 11 right now with that squad with the players fit would be Pickford; Patterson, Tarkowski, Branthwaite, Mykolenko; Garner, Holgate, Onana; Gray, DCL, Danjuma. 

1 hour ago, KentExile said:

Oddest Saudi transfer so far has to be Max Power surely?

isn't he playing for second division Saudi club out there? 

• Backroom
18 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Liverpool appealing their red from Saturday. If it gets overturned, as it should, then it should raise serious questions about VAR given that it came just 5/6 days after the Man Utd, Wolves penalty decision that they apologised for.

You'd think over time they'd get better at using VAR, but if anything they seem to somehow be getting worse. I don't know if it's because they're being asked to utilise it in more complex ways or if the officials chosen are just poor at what they do, but it's getting silly now.

When VAR was initially introduced it was for "clear and obvious errors". Basically something that would be outrageous if not picked up on. In my mind that was something like Spurs phantom goal against United years ago, or Lampard's phantom goal against Germany - although goal line technology negates the need for VAR in that instance anyway. Maybe something like a stamp that had been missed by the on-pitch officials, or an obvious foul that should be a penalty. Note that word obvious, for example a player completely clearing out another player without getting a touch on the ball.  

Instead it's being used for contentious infractions that are a matter of opinion and often don't constitute what I would consider a "clear and obvious error" by the official, and that's where I think it's gone wrong. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, DE. said:

You'd think over time they'd get better at using VAR, but if anything they seem to somehow be getting worse. I don't know if it's because they're being asked to utilise it in more complex ways or if the officials chosen are just poor at what they do, but it's getting silly now.

When VAR was initially introduced it was for "clear and obvious errors". Basically something that would be outrageous if not picked up on. In my mind that was something like Spurs phantom goal against United years ago, or Lampard's phantom goal against Germany - although goal line technology negates the need for VAR in that instance anyway. Maybe something like a stamp that had been missed by the on-pitch officials, or an obvious foul that should be a penalty. Note that word obvious, for example a player completely clearing out another player without getting a touch on the ball.  

Instead it's being used for contentious infractions that are a matter of opinion and often don't constitute what I would consider a "clear and obvious error" by the official, and that's where I think it's gone wrong. 

I think the whole "clear and obvious" thing should be scrapped. It creates too much grey area for my liking. It should be a tool to assist the ref, not re-ref the game entirely. 

It should be a chance for a ref to look at the monitor and say "oh wait that's not what I thought I saw on first looking" this is my decision or "Yeah that's exactly how I saw it I'm sticking to it" 

From what I understand the refs are always on the mics talking their decisions through with the team so all VAR needs to be is -

Ref: No handball because XYZ

VAR: Yeah that checks out

Or

VAR: that's not what we saw I think you need another look at that

The ref should have the final call. 

Either that or scrap it and go to a review system. VAR reviews only happen if a team requests it and they have to state the reason they're appealing (to stop speculative reviews). You get one per half and lose it if it fails. Maybe have goals checked for offside regardless. 

Mic them up to explain the decision like in the women's. 

• Like 1

Greenwood leaving Man U.

I wonder who, if anyone, will want to sign him.

Edited to add - who thought it was a good idea to include this within the statement?:

"Based on the evidence available to us, we have concluded that the material posted online did not provide a full picture and that Mason did not commit the offences in respect of which he was originally charged. That said, as Mason publicly acknowledges today, he has made mistakes which he is taking responsibility for."

Edited by wilsdenrover

3 hours ago, RoverDom said:

Liverpool appealing their red from Saturday. If it gets overturned, as it should, then it should raise serious questions about VAR given that it came just 5/6 days after the Man Utd, Wolves penalty decision that they apologised for.

I agree. It was never a sending off. However, I don't think that it can be classed as a "clear and obvious" error either. MacAllister did catch Christie with his studs. As arbitro says again and again, referees are thick as thieves and are unlikely to overrule a fellow official. 

VAR in the Prem seems to fare worse than in other leagues, and certainly the Champs league. There will be another mistake this week. 

As to this week's games. Liverpool started very shakily then looked good. Szlobozlai (sp?) looks like a very good player. Salah missed another pen, it's time for him to hand over duties.

Man U were woeful again. Spurs played well but will be Spurs. 

City ground out a result. 

Everton were terrible. It's very early but I think Burnley will hang on because along with Everton, Sheff Utd and Luton aren't good enough.

I didn't see any of the Chelsea game.

25 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Greenwood leaving Man U.

I wonder who, if anyone, will want to sign him.

Edited to add - who thought it was a good idea to include this within the statement?:

"Based on the evidence available to us, we have concluded that the material posted online did not provide a full picture and that Mason did not commit the offences in respect of which he was originally charged. That said, as Mason publicly acknowledges today, he has made mistakes which he is taking responsibility for."

Maybe ManUre covering their backs in case he takes legal action?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Maybe ManUre covering their backs in case he takes legal action?

As good an explanation as any!

I also noticed they haven’t said they’re releasing him - I think they’re going to try and get a fee for him.

If they do, they should donate every last penny of it to a domestic abuse charity.

Edited by wilsdenrover
  • Like 2

• Backroom

What exactly are the "mistakes" that were made by Greenwood, that seemingly had nothing to do with the leaked audio and pictures, that still meant United felt he couldn't continue at the club? Pretty confusing statement. 

• Like 5

Wasn't sure where to put this, but as it's related to Chelsea's new goalkeeper I'll put it here.

This really wound me up when I've just read it:

image.png

25 Apps for Liverpool, 50 for Spurs!

288 for Rovers. Hell, he even made 114 for Villa. Do Sky even know about any clubs other than the 'Big 6'?

Edited by windymiller7
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

Wasn't sure where to put this, but as it's related to Chelsea's new goalkeeper I'll put it here.

image.png

288 for Rovers. Hell, he even made 114 for Villa. Do Sky even know about any clubs other than the 'Big 6'?

Yes, it's annoying. London media bias

• Like 1

The consistency of referees is getting far worse. Howard Webb is trying to sort things out as best he can but even he must be tearing his hair out, if he had any! 
In the game last night the ref gave a second yellow and a red for a foul and previous time wasting (a minimum amount) but then later didn’t give anything to two Arsenal players waving imaginary cards.

Edited by Ianrally

On 21/08/2023 at 12:58, DE. said:

They need to have a conversation with ICC - they've implemented a third umpire beautifully. The main difference is that they allow a margin for error for the on-field call (e.g. Umpire's call for ball-tracking).

VAR officials get their rulers and protractors out to judge whether a striker's toe is offside, which fundamentally changes how the game is officiated - the linesman can't see that on the field. To me they need to introduce some common sense back into it e.g. "yeah he's clearly offside there (not the heel of a defender playing him on etc) / yeah the ball has hit his hand there but it's not intentional / yeah he's caught him there but there's clearly no intent, so yellow card only". 

That would take brave officials though, which we're in very short supply of it seems. They hide behind a literal interpretation of the rules. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, windymiller7 said:

image.png

We also have to accept that we've been out of the Premier League for over a decade now. 15-22-year-olds will barely remember us as a Premier League side.

A bit of a tough pill to swallow, but I can understand why they reference the two 'biggest' clubs on his resume. They want him to come across as instantly credible to those unfamiliar with who he is, not illicit the response of 'why is a former Blackburn goalkeeper telling me who can break through at Chelsea'.