BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League 23-24

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Their odds of sneaking into the top 4 would have been long even had they won last night. Villa would have only needed a draw to secure a Champions League spot.

When you then factor in that an equaliser would have done nothing to help them, I can somewhat understand why they weren't particularly fussed.

The reaction would have been exactly the same at Ewood had we been in a similar set of circumstances.

It wouldn't have been from me

Spurs have shown a real small-club mentality. Ange Postocoglu realised that. That is why he was clearly very, very pissed off about the whole situation

Their odds weren't long. 2 pts behind Villa who were away at in-form Palace, whilst Spurs had crap Sheffield Utd

Their odds on it are now nil. And they celebrated that. Weak and pathetic if you ask me and certainly not a club I'd want to play for. I suspect plenty of pros feel that way too, hence their bad reputation in football circles

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Their odds weren't long. 2 pts behind Villa who were away at in-form Palace

Indeed. They had an excellent 4-0 victory in their last home game. You would think it was Villa playing Sheffield United the way some people are talking.

7 hours ago, RV Blue said:

I would absolutely celebrate Rovers losing if it meant stopping Burnley from winning the league, I’d be shocked if that wasn’t the majority opinion on here. I’ve seen Rovers lose hundreds of times, one more won’t hurt.

Including if it ended our hopes of champions league qualification (or slightly more realistically a place off place)?

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

We really aren't in a position to be overly critical of the way money changed football. We were one of the clubs that started the fire.

We were owned by a local businessman who bought the club because he supported it. They are owned by a nation state who bought the club for soft power. Rather a big difference.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If they do get rid of VAR then I presume managers (and to a lesser extent supporters) will never complain about wrong decisions again. Accuracy will naturally go down.

I don't think it should be scrapped all together. Just the way it's used needs to be changed.

Any in play decisions should be requested by the officials on the pitch for another look. Not in slow motion, not with any lines drawn all over the place, just a real time replay. If it still isn't obvious then the initial decision stands.

VAR should be in no way having any influence in the game unless it's an off ball incident like an elbow in the face or something like that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Spurs have shown a real small-club mentality. Ange Postocoglu realised that. That is why he was clearly very, very pissed off about the whole situation

Their odds weren't long. 2 pts behind Villa who were away at in-form Palace, whilst Spurs had crap Sheffield Utd

Their odds on it are now nil. And they celebrated that. Weak and pathetic if you ask me and certainly not a club I'd want to play for. I suspect plenty of pros feel that way too, hence their bad reputation in football circles

Perfectly put. Quite embarrassing and all round cowardly. The easy way out. Pathetic. 

17 hours ago, ABBEY said:

did you have the same views under uncle jack?

Completely different. Uncle Jack meant we could compete and spend similar to other large 5 of 6 clubs in the league. We just did it better then them. Look at some of the dross clubs like Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea etc signed in the early 90s.

City on the other hand over the last 20 years have blown everyone out of the water and even when bad signings are made, they just shrug their shoulders and spend more on the same position the next summer.

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead

Anthony Gordon was absolutely right yesterday- ‘get better or get rid’, I think was what he said.

So frustrating that every sport apart from football incorporates technology and improved, but football actually worsens!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Spurs are a small club.

They are one club that I would say have actual shit fans. They were a disgrace at the league cup final so I'm not surprised in the slightest that they celebrate missing out on a champions league place just so Arsenal won't win the league.

Small time mentally of small time fans of a small time club.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Upside Down said:

Small time mentally of small time fans of a small time club.

I don't believe winning the European Cup is the pinnacle of achievement. It's a knockout competition and the PL is judged over 38 games which is usually enough to say you're the best side in the country. Leicester would be the freak instance as they most likely wouldn't have won if it was 76 games.

That being said Tottenham reached a major European final not long ago and have what is said to be the most valuable stadium facility wise in the country. They aren't a small club. How do you fix a big club with small minded fans is the question. Are they beyond repair or any attempts at help? I wouldn't say so. They could win a domestic trophy or the Europa League next season and progress from there.

Edited by Vinjay

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The semi automated offsides would be a big positive step.

The irony is though that offside judgements from VAR are the only truly accurate decisions because they are a matter of fact. The only positive from that would perhaps be that it would take less time than the current inordinate amount it takes.

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The semi automated offsides would be a big positive step.

Just scrap it all. I can accept human error but not when using technology which is happening more and more. 

Also I see Webb is looking to bring ex pros into referee games as match officials 

• Moderation Lead

I’m not sure what the reason for bringing in ex pros would be tbh.

As I said earlier, technology works seamlessly in other sports, so football just needs to do better to make it work.

Its a worn out line that ex pros will suddenly improve decision making. For a start I remain unconvinced that there is a pool of former players willing to be refs. And even if there was, you can throw tokenisms about understanding the game better but they wont significantly improve the standard of officiating.

If people want accuracy then VAR has to stay and be tweaked as necessary, its objective that decisions are more accurate with technology, logically. The argument about the emotion, of the game is a fair one against VAR so if people prefer that then they have to accept that the accuracy of decisions will decrease and that will have to be accepted. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Its a worn out line that ex pros will suddenly improve decision making. For a start I remain unconvinced that there is a pool of former players willing to be refs. And even if there was, you can throw tokenisms about understanding the game better but they wont significantly improve the standard of officiating.

If people want accuracy then VAR has to stay and be tweaked as necessary, its objective that decisions are more accurate with technology, logically. The argument about the emotion, of the game is a fair one against VAR so if people prefer that then they have to accept that the accuracy of decisions will decrease and that will have to be accepted. 

Ex pros have a greater understanding of the game of football so maybe it will help making decisions. 

VAR isn't accuracy and football is a game of opinion for decisions and not like Cricket where it is deffo decision like has he hit the ball as the ball gone through to the Keeper. 

Never wanted VAR in, fans are fed up with it, takes far too long for decisions to be made. Get rid and allow the ref to actually make their decisions