BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Your Expectations for this Season?

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

If we sign 2 more 2 strikers plus attacking right attacking player before the deadline and improve the quality of the overall squad we will get top 6 IMO. 

If we don't sign a 15 goals plus striker we won't get top 6. 

JDT got us to 7th last season without 15 plus goals striker 

To be fair, didn't Diaz get 16? We need to replace his goals and add more on top. Hopefully Sigurdsson/Ennis do some of that, but definitely lacking firepower.

I'm quietly optimistic at the moment. Ironically, the fall off in results at the end of the season coincided with us looking like a really decent outfit at times. Thought we played really well in the Burnley/Preston games, for example, albeit without that cutting edge up top.

I am confident those away day no shows are finally behind us, and it was ultimately those performances that torpedoed our top 6 hopes. We also have Wharton ready to make that central midfield berth his own, and JRC for a full season. Given both of them only played for half of last season, there's a clear improvement already. 

Will it be a strong league? Perhaps, but we always say that. Leicester could be anything, and gut feeling says they have a transition year. Leeds likewise. Southampton feel like they could go back up, players like Arma and Adams have done very well in this division before. Big question marks whether Norwich and Watford bounce back after difficult years. I'd wager Coventry aren't as strong as last year as I'm not sure Simms is as good as Gykores, but they do have a healthy budget to spend still. Boro should go well but have lost Archer's goals and Giles' creativity.

And then there are the unknowns. Will Swansea and Stoke finally get their act together? Fancy the latter to improve but I say that every year. West Brom seem to have financial issues (I'm judging this very broadly on my mate's Tweets so wouldn't take it as gospel!). People seem to fancy Ipswich to take to this league well.

On paper, it's going to be tough, but when isn't it in this league? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, smiller14 said:

To be fair, didn't Diaz get 16? We need to replace his goals and add more on top. Hopefully Sigurdsson/Ennis do some of that, but definitely lacking firepower.

I'm quietly optimistic at the moment. Ironically, the fall off in results at the end of the season coincided with us looking like a really decent outfit at times. Thought we played really well in the Burnley/Preston games, for example, albeit without that cutting edge up top.

I am confident those away day no shows are finally behind us, and it was ultimately those performances that torpedoed our top 6 hopes. We also have Wharton ready to make that central midfield berth his own, and JRC for a full season. Given both of them only played for half of last season, there's a clear improvement already. 

Will it be a strong league? Perhaps, but we always say that. Leicester could be anything, and gut feeling says they have a transition year. Leeds likewise. Southampton feel like they could go back up, players like Arma and Adams have done very well in this division before. Big question marks whether Norwich and Watford bounce back after difficult years. I'd wager Coventry aren't as strong as last year as I'm not sure Simms is as good as Gykores, but they do have a healthy budget to spend still. Boro should go well but have lost Archer's goals and Giles' creativity.

And then there are the unknowns. Will Swansea and Stoke finally get their act together? Fancy the latter to improve but I say that every year. West Brom seem to have financial issues (I'm judging this very broadly on my mate's Tweets so wouldn't take it as gospel!). People seem to fancy Ipswich to take to this league well.

Our Achilles heel last season was our complete inability to come from behind in games. Maybe the Millwall game has got that monkey off our backs ? One of the few pluses from the games at Accy was we came back from 2-0 down in the second game to get a draw.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Our Achilles heel last season was our complete inability to come from behind in games. Maybe the Millwall game has got that monkey off our backs ? One of the few pluses from the games at Accy was we came back from 2-0 down in the second game to get a draw.

Agreed - we usually looked totally lost when we went behind too. 

Hopefully the games you mention suggest we've got a bit more about us now, although I do worry the Millwall game was more of a free hit, combined with a nervy home side. 

We were very unlucky not to come from behind to beat Luton as well, so perhaps the penny has dropped. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, smiller14 said:

We deffo need at least a first choice number 9 striker and attacking right sided player signing. For me need another one and get rid of Gallagher

I'm very optimistic for the new season and can't wait for the first game  

agreed there

It is always very tough and unpredictable league as always. 

• Like 1

Surely you should always look to improve on the previous season - so that means playoffs at a minimum. Obviously, you have to factor in the departures we have had but this is also the first 'proper' window the new managerial team has had. Last summer was a last-minute rush and in January we all know what happened. 

One thing is certain in my mind - if the season doesn't go as planned, JDT will be off to pastures new. 

It's too early to tell for me. I think our midfield and defence is beginning to look strong. A couple more shrewd additions to add depth and a touch of quality and we'd be one of the strongest in the division. 

However, we have nothing up front. There are subtle signs that Ennis is going to need some time to get up to speed. He mentioned raising his fitness levels in one of his first interviews and JDT has hinted at this as well.

I'm in the "we've got no money to spend" boat. Simply because I think GB has got our scouting department running smoothly, and if we had money, we'd have spent some by now. I've a feeling we're struggling to find affordable attacking options. Without some very decent attackers through the door, midtable at best for me. Decent attackers and we can make top 6.

Sticking my neck out, the Rovers squad right now today is stronger than the one which was goal difference away from the play-offs last season.

Tronstad or Morton?

Sigurddson or Diaz?

Ennis or Dack?

Potential full seasons of year older Ash and Adam.

Carter and JRC now proven talents.

Szmodics now fully Rovers acclimatised.

12 months of JDT as opposed to "hello, who are you?"

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Sticking my neck out, the Rovers squad right now today is stronger than the one which was goal difference away from the play-offs last season.

Tronstad or Morton?

Sigurddson or Diaz?

Ennis or Dack?

If I have a pound to bet, I'd be comfortable putting it on Sigurdsson not scoring more than BBD did last season. 15 goals (BBD = 14 G, 4A) in his first season is a big ask. 

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Tronstad or Morton?

Sigurddson or Diaz?

Ennis or Dack?

A striker is the missing piece in the jigsaw thus far though. If this goes well and we get someone who can actually be relied on to stick easy chances in the net I think we will be stronger than last season.

For a start the various young ones have a season behind them. Some are now established first-teamers--Carter, JRC Wharton among our 3 very best players.

Something to be proud of after 12 years of misery. We're on the up I think!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, J*B said:

If I have a pound to bet, I'd be comfortable putting it on Sigurdsson not scoring more than BBD did last season. 15 goals (BBD = 14 G, 4A) in his first season is a big ask. 

Are you putting a bet on Dack +Diaz > Sigurddson + Ennis?

That could go either way.

If you really insist on a bet, I will put a quid on Tronstad scoring at least as many as Morton. 😁

Edited by philipl

I think we should be looking at a top 10 finish this season. If we can add some firepower upfront then we are in for a shout at top 6. 

The recruitment so far has been very good and to get them in early has been a bonus. I'm confident Gregg will find us a striker and hopefully another winger as watching us last season, we severely lacked creativity. 

54 minutes ago, philipl said:

Are you putting a bet on Dack +Diaz > Sigurddson + Ennis?

That could go either way.

If you really insist on a bet, I will put a quid on Tronstad scoring at least as many as Morton. 😁

Will Sigurdsson and Ennis score / assist 22 goals between them? My money would be on no - mostly because I’m hoping we sign a No9 and Ennis is second choice. 

League goals per position last season:

(I've assigned specific players to specific positions to make it easier. The rest of the positions are made up of all the players that played there)

GK 0

RB 2

LB 1

CB 4 

CM 4

RW 8 (Dolan and Hedges)

AMC 9 (Dack and Szmodics)

LW 14 (BBD)

CF 8 (Gally)

It's a poor return from CM, CB and CF over a full season. 

Edited by Sweaty Gussets

If we sign a first choice striker then my expectations will be a Top 6 finish (progress on last year). Anything less than that will be deemed a disappointing league campaign.

JDT will have had 4 windows by the end of season, and pretty much his own team. JRC, Hyam, Carter, Wharton, Tronstad, Sigurdson, Enniss, Szmodics have all either joined or become starters under him and I'd expect at least 7 of those names to be in the starting 11 this season, with potential for more signings in the next fortnight. 

It's his own team and his own style now, so no excuses to not be progressing up the table (if we get a striker / goal scorer this month)