BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Girona Friendly - #fanstakeover

11 minutes ago, Bethnal said:

Absolutely should not have to be leading the line next Saturday but I think he’s going to give a good account of himself. Looking forward to seeing him develop.

At least we know he will give 100% and that's all I'll ask from our focal point for the next month (at least).

I imagine as a striker he'll take pride in JDT showing faith in him, plus the tutelage - he seems a good lad and I'm sure his family will have told him to act like a sponge whilst he's got the opportunity.

Edited by TugaysMarlboro
  • Like 2

Just now, ItsRoverZ said:

So ennis gets about 5 minutes? He needed minutes and should of got the 20 JDT spoke about, he won't be ready to start for a few weeks yet 

He's missed too much of pre-season to be ready for the next few weeks, he'll be used sparingly as a sub I think.

That little passage of play answered one of our questions though - he's not fast. 

4 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He's missed too much of pre-season to be ready for the next few weeks, he'll be used sparingly as a sub I think.

That little passage of play answered one of our questions though - he's not fast. 

It also confirmed he has a big arse and needs underwear

Respectable scoreline and decent enough performance by the sounds of it.

That's a wrap for pre-season. It goes without saying that's it been a very poor summer. Two new signings haven't kicked a ball in pre-season, budget slashed, manager wants out, and several others out injured. 

Not excited at all about the new season. Lower mid table as it stands. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i think we did ok,did better as the game progressed,girona are far better than most sides in the championship,they only played in patches and cut us apart at will

They hurt us on the break - but I'm not having that they 'played in patches'. Too many yellow cards to suggest they were cruising through the game. 

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Dropping A. Wharton into that team for Travis would make a massive difference.

Yeah Wharton has to play, he's the only one in that midfield capable of unlocking the defence.

From what I saw of today, Markanday probably played his way into the starting 11, Leonard will likely have to lead the line, not ideal but he's done ok in pre season as well. Should be a good player for us in the future.

Sigurdsson coming back in a few weeks (albeit with no preseason) and Ennis getting up to speed should provide us with a bit more. 

There will be no play off push this time as it stands but I can't see us in trouble either.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

That's a wrap for pre-season. It goes without saying that's it been a very poor summer. Two new signings haven't kicked a ball in pre-season, budget slashed, manager wants out, and several others out injured. 

One new signing - Ennis definitely kicked a ball today.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

One new signing.

Decent showing against a very good side.

Negatives

Pickering doesn't look fit. I'd consider starting Brittain at left-back on Saturday.

Dolan's instinct seems to be to cut backwards when he could go forwards. He needs to cut that out and take risks.

We are clearly lacking in set-piece takers. Our training routines were rubbish, and I suspect we resort to those because we are a team completely lacking in the set-piece department. I think we have a set-piece coach, now. He's got his work cut out to say the least.

Positives

Travis adds some shit-housing and character in midfield.

Tronstad is a typical classy midfielder. Very tidy on the ball with good control.

Leonard got a goal after signing a four-year contract. Hopefully the start of a big career at Rovers.

Markanday looks lively. I think he should start on Saturday. You can tell he has a point to prove.

Other bits

Ennis get some minutes, but I suspect he's got several weeks ahead of him for working on his fitness.

I think we looked solid without being spectacular. We are devoid of ideas in the final third for the most part. It's clear that we need a couple more signings in that area of the pitch.

• Like 8

I'm of the opinion it was a slightly poor game from our perspective, yes Girona are a semi decent side BUT it doesn't excuse how unorganised our backline was.

My thoughts:

Wingers: Dolan and Markandy had opposite games, Markandy bright and worked his ass off and showed in flashes he could be really useful, where as Dolan was a headless chicken.

Striker: Leonard played pretty well, I think it could be a huge season for him to be fair, I wouldn't put it past him to hit double figures just by being in the right place right time, another who works his ass off. Movement is brilliant.

Midfield: Travis started really well then fizzled out, gave the ball away a couple times and a few misplaced passes but kept things ticking, Tronstad neat and tidy but nothing spectacular. I think he will be the starter alongside A. Wharton 

Defence: oof, pickering got rinsed today, lack of match fitness maybe but he was pulled apart, as was JRC a few times but at least JRC is a good outlet and has his best moments further up the pitch. Was shocked at how poor Hyam and Carter looked today, slow to react and normally you see hyam really command around him but he was a bit quite today. Pre season though so can forgive 

All in all and OK game,  lack of pace and creativity will cost us, defence needs to be better too, especially the fullbacks 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Dolan also a victim of the inverted winger situation. Twice he got down the outside there but he has to cut in cos he’s no right foot.

I personally think Dolan just needs his confidence back. We've seen before that he's talented and dangerous, but he just needs to let go and believe in himself.

Markanday did just that today. Probably our most dangerous player in the wide position. I'm struggling to accept that Aberdeen didn't give him game time. He's had a very good preseason.

• Like 1