BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Walsall (h) - 8/8/23 - Carabao Cup R1

12 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

It was noticeable Saturday how much more we are getting balls in down the side of the oppositions defence this season - playing quick short passes in the between the full back and CB's down the width of the 18yrd box -and then cutting the ball across the 6 yard box. Quite a few examples in those clips. 

We look far more incisive. It's a far cry from most of last season. 

Edited by Sweaty Gussets
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Yeesh, first two of theirs were horrorshows at the back.

Hilton positioning poor for the first one, Brittain getting out-jumped for it, as well.

Second one is poor from Batty.

Buckley is a bit selfish for his and he just barges past Ennis in the aftermath. Sulking or unfriendly? He’s a few places down the pecking-order, he can’t afford to do/be either.

Ennis’ finish is really smart. Leonard’s pressing almost reaps rewards, I like him more every time I see him.

Letting the kids have a run out and the experience of a lot of goals/shifts in momentum is excellent for them.

Pleasing stuff!

• Like 9

• Backroom

Whilst it doesn’t matter much I wish Buckley squared it for Ennis for the 4th

3 lovely finishes to be fair and sounds like Gilsenan really deserved his goal as well 

• Like 8

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, Tom said:

Whilst it doesn’t matter much I wish Buckley squared it for Ennis for the 4th

3 lovely finishes to be fair and sounds like Gilsenan really deserved his goal as well 

Said exactly the same.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

did adam wharton play well

Not especially. He played a couple of fine passes but also lost possession 2 or 3 times leading to Walsall attacks that a better team would have punished us for.

Zak Gilsenan was excellent and deserved his man of the match. He did a fair impersonation of Roy Wegerle.

The small crowd allowed me some phone signal at half time and I had a brief look at this thread then. Buckley got some stick then but I thought he had a decent game - he played one of the passes of the game early on and made the best tackle of the night too. He was far from perfect but for me I thought he was fine. I can’t agree about passing to Ennis - if you’re in a scoring position put it away, don’t over elaborate. Maybe if we were 3 or 4 up yes, but not at 3-2.

Garrett had another excellent game - the standard view on here is that he is not ready and needs a loan out but most times I have seen him I have been impressed. He doesn’t stand out for defence splitting passes like Buckley and Adam W but he’s always available, always involved and took his goal really well.

Brittain seemed to play the same way as JRC, we’ll forward and leaving Barnes exposed, which didn’t help the defence.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, ItsRoverZ said:

Who do we want in the next round? I'd love a home game or away game to Portsmouth,.don't ask me why lol

Spurs away would be nice.

They don’t have European competitions this season so they join in round two.

• Like 1

Very good opportunity for the youth to impress tonight. Hopefully they took something from the game offensively and learn from the mistakes defensively. Young Batty wrong side of his man for the one goal which is a lesson learnt hopefully. Worst one for me was there 3rd goal, Harry pickering no where near his man and way too central. Apart from that we can be proud of the lads

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, ItsRoverZ said:

Who do we want in the next round? I'd love a home game or away game to Portsmouth,.don't ask me why lol

1 minute ago, NeilInBristol said:

Away at Bristol please. Just being selfish!

1 minute ago, Polky said:

Spurs away would be nice.

They don’t have European competitions this season so they join in round two.

Geography isn’t my strong point but I don’t think any of these teams come into the Northern section!

Still split in the second round 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tom said:

Geography isn’t my strong point but I don’t think any of these teams come into the Northern section!

Still split in the second round 

Salford, Port Vale, Bradford City would do for me. A league up, a further test for the youngsters.

Or Wrexham for the absolute mindfuck of seeing Mac from Always Sunny and/or Van Wilder on Ewood.

• Like 1