BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Walsall (h) - 8/8/23 - Carabao Cup R1

2 hours ago, philipl said:

There is a distinct advantage of being in the Northern Section.

Possible draws for Rovers against 5 rather mediocre Premier League clubs, 4 Championship Clubs, and 12 L1/L2 clubs with two Championship v L1 ties to be settled tonight.

Southern Section on paper is tougher including Chelsea and Spuds being rewarded for last season's endeavours by entering the draw at Round 2!  

When does the northern /southern thing end , which round ?

5 hours ago, only2garners said:

In truth it doesn't make a lot of difference to me what time the evening kick-offs are, being retired. I know it always used to be a rush to get to a night game after work and that is the balance that has to be found between those like you who don't want a late night and those that struggle to make it for 7.45 or 8.

Well that's the crux of it! My point was that many people might find it difficult to make it to Ewood Park mid-week with the current timing. Its not an answer to say it doesn't worry me!

Edited by 47er

18 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

What is that dark green shyte splattered on it FFS?

Well it says Pie and mash ! Who has ever seen that north of Watford? 
It’s a cockney thing so the green Shute must be the jellied eels 😃

• Like 1

Watched it back on the Rovers website. A strangely uneventful 7 goal non-thriller!

First Walsall goal was incredibly poor to let in but the other two involved exceptional play by Walsall- especially that cross field pinpoint accuracy 40 yard driven pass which set up their second.

We should have made more of our 70%+ possession but all 4 goals were exquisitely worked.

Glad we are safely through so the same or a similar group of players get a chance to show how they have improved from last night. 

I wouldn't be writing the prospects of anybody off based on that showing.

2 hours ago, 47er said:

Well that's the crux of it! My point was that many people might find it difficult to make it to Ewood Park mid-week with the current timing. Its not an answer to say it doesn't worry me!

I thought I had made it clear that there is a balance between a kick-off time that most fans can get to and a final whistle that isn't too late for others. You are clearly in the latter category in that you don't want a game to finish too late but when I was working I was very much in the former as it was very difficult for me to get to Ewood for 7.45. The fact that right now it doesn't bother me personally is nice for me but still doesn't solve the issue for many other fans. Kicking off earlier will upset as many fans as it will please, in my view.

• Like 1

Only managed to see the highlights for this game. Could someone give me abit more info how John Buckley got on. An assist with a very good pass, And the timing of his run for his goal made him look sharp. Left the defenders at the pie van. Did he play the short game well?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lraC said:

Six goals in two games, after we have all been worrying about where the goals will come from.

The league will be a bigger barometer obviously, but so far, a very good average of 3 per game.

This is it. Yes you could say the opposition was weak etc but the manner and style we took the goals was great. Great passing. Looks like JDTs coaching style is paying dividends. Still would want a no9 but the future is looking good if we can keep these lads and not sell them for cheap 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rover8T4 said:

Only managed to see the highlights for this game. Could someone give me abit more info how John Buckley got on. An assist with a very good pass, And the timing of his run for his goal made him look sharp. Left the defenders at the pie van. Did he play the short game well?

Very quiet first half. Tending to cover the left side of the middle. Caught in possession once or twice and fairly underwhelming. 

Much better 2nd half after his beautifully taken goal . He grew in confidence from that and got the groove of his short game going nicely. 

I'm certainly not writing him off. He and Wharton are probably competing for the same spot which is great for them and us.

Ditto Travis, Trondstad and, after yesterday, Garrett

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

Very quiet first half. Tending to cover the left side of the middle. Caught in possession once or twice and fairly underwhelming. 

Much better 2nd half after his beautifully taken goal . He grew in confidence from that and got the groove of his short game going nicely. 

I'm certainly not writing him off. He and Wharton are probably competing for the same spot which is great for them and us.

Some serious competition in that midfield for sure. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tomphil said:

Just go and compare it to others down the years and it's pretty standard.

You'd have to have had your head in the sand the last 20 years to expect anything else for these games.

Riverside has been closed for years for these as well.

Your quoting me on this comment, it was for somebody who asked what the attendance was.

2 hours ago, only2garners said:

. The fact that right now it doesn't bother me personally is nice for me but still doesn't solve the issue for many other fans. Kicking off earlier will upset as many fans as it will please, in my view.

We don't know that but the Club or groups such as Fans Forum could try to  find out.

1 hour ago, Colt Seavers said:

Buckley is not the player he was though. 90% of his involvement is playing it back 6 yards, often to the bloke who's just given it to him. Agree he was better 2nd half but that's a low bar. I'm a fan of his and really want him to be the player he could be.

But can't see him getting his first team place back soon, sadly.

• Like 2