BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Venky’s, HMRC…The Plot Thickens ?

2 hours ago, DE. said:

When Spurs beat us 2-0 in April 2012 I don't think I've ever seen a match where a team was less obvious about not wanting to win. We played that match like a training game. Even the pundits were gobsmacked at how lifeless our performance was. I'm not suggesting it was fixed, but for whatever reason our team had no desire whatsoever to get anything out of that game, despite the fact we needed every possible point to survive. 

Team?

P Robinson (c)
B Orr
S Dann
G Givet
M Olsson
M Formica
D Dunn
J Lowe
M Pedersen
J Hoilett
Y Aiyegbeni

SPURS

B Friedel
K Walker
W Gallas (c)
Y Kaboul
D Rose
A Lennon
L Modric
Sandro
G Bale
R van der Vaart
E Adebayor

Edited by aletheia

12 hours ago, DE. said:

When Spurs beat us 2-0 in April 2012 I don't think I've ever seen a match where a team was less obvious about not wanting to win. We played that match like a training game. Even the pundits were gobsmacked at how lifeless our performance was. I'm not suggesting it was fixed, but for whatever reason our team had no desire whatsoever to get anything out of that game, despite the fact we needed every possible point to survive. 

A game that was live on TV in the UK and beyond and had millions bet on it.

Shots on it off target BRFC 0 Spurs 19.

I remember the post match interview from King Rat and the look on the faces of the pundits on n the studio, which was one of pure bafflement. 

Edited by lraC
  • Like 5

42 minutes ago, lraC said:

And West Brom away. I was right behind the goal and saw exactly what happened there.

And Swansea away

And both Man City games

There were two other games which were very dodgy.

Plus Scott Danns 5 own goals

Plus that dodgy right back we bought.

And the fights in the dressing room, arguments on the pitch with players accusing each other of not trying....

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, philipl said:

And West Brom away. I was right behind the goal and saw exactly what happened there.

And Swansea away

And both Man City games

There were two other games which were very dodgy.

Plus Scott Danns 5 own goals

Plus that dodgy right back we bought.

And the fights in the dressing room, arguments on the pitch with players accusing each other of not trying....

Are you able to post what you saw at West Brom Philip?

• Like 1

• Backroom
4 hours ago, lraC said:

A game that was live on TV in the UK and beyond and had millions bet on it.

Shots on it off target BRFC 0 Spurs 19.

I remember the post match interview from King Rat and the look on the faces of the pundits on n the studio, which was one of pure bafflement. 

All I can say is I don't think I've ever watched a losing team so devoid of attacking intent. It wasn't just that we were poor, we didn't even attempt to threaten them. It was absolutely deplorable, a national league team would have put up more of a fight than we did on that day. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lraC said:

This is typically what is bet on the legal and illegal markets. Truly staggering.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/958476/upto-one-billion-euros-bet-on-each-premier-league-match

But that would suggest several players were in on it.

And who can forget the look on Ray Wilkins' face, while King Rat was spouting his post match bullshit...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

But that would suggest several players were in on it.

And who can forget the look on Ray Wilkins' face, while King Rat was spouting his post match bullshit...

I can't remember the exact number but we only gave away a ridiculously low amount of fouls, four comes to mind. Gary Neville couldn't believe that a club and players fighting for their futures and getting run ragged were so tame.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, lraC said:

I have just checked. Scott Dann scored 5 own goals in 138 premier league games, but not all for us. 

Wasn't Scott Dann very instrumental in Rovers losing at Bolton , towards the end of our last Prem season ? 

Then had a war of words with several Rovers fans ,getting back on the team coach ..

That's also the game , we pulled back to 2-1 (Wheater scored 2 for Bolton marked by Dann) and Kean in my opinion never went for the equaliser ..

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I can't remember the exact number but we only gave away a ridiculously low amount of fouls, four comes to mind. Gary Neville couldn't believe that a club and players fighting for their futures and getting run ragged were so tame.

He's not a gambling man, but he'd had put his house on us committing more fouls would Gary Neville 

• Like 3

On 09/03/2024 at 11:50, Ossydave said:

You can make thousands if you're well informed, when Souness went to Newcastle I know a fair few who cleaned up.

Cleaned up meaning what?

A nice payday for your average person? Or something that would interest a billionaire?

The reality is that these aren't very liquid markets, so the exposure that comes with any sizeable bet is too much to be worth it - even for illegal bookmakers.

Why would you want to make a book where you are guaranteed to lose tons if a specific outcome comes in? Nevermind the fact that who in their right mind would take a big bet on a specific market like that without being suspicious of the fact that the bettor has more information than the bookmaker.

Could someone give me a decent tip on a next manager and I could have a nice day? Sure. I could spread 100-200 (absolute max) bets around across a few bookmakers and have a nice day, but we aren't talking about a payday that would interest the UHNW.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Upside Down said:

That is absolutely beyond naive.

How much money are you going to have to pay a group of Premier League players to start throwing matches? How much would you then have to bet? Keep in mind, we were awful. Not a lot of opportunity to get value in the opposition. It is actually quite the opposite, we actually had the biggest upset (from an odds perspective) in Premier League history when we beat United.

Spot-fixing is the route you have to go in team sports to be consistently fixing outcomes. Bookings, throw-ins, corners, etc. But to think that 6/7/8 of our players were taking money to throw matches is a wild conspiracy theory. 

• Like 7

I don't think we were intentionally throwing matches; it's the result of putting an absolute incompetent nobody like Kean in charge of the team.

What I do find interesting though is NDAs being handed out like sweets.
And they're still clearly active, as no former player has been brave enough to speak up about what went on.

Why would you do this if there's nothing dodgy being concealed?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Andy said:

I don't think we were intentionally throwing matches; it's the result of putting an absolute incompetent nobody like Kean in charge of the team.

What I do find interesting though is NDAs being handed out like sweets.
And they're still clearly active, as no former player has been brave enough to speak up about what went on.

Why would you do this if there's nothing dodgy being concealed?

Poster:...

Venky's: more NDA's than Jeffrey Epstein.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

How much money are you going to have to pay a group of Premier League players to start throwing matches? How much would you then have to bet? Keep in mind, we were awful. Not a lot of opportunity to get value in the opposition. It is actually quite the opposite, we actually had the biggest upset (from an odds perspective) in Premier League history when we beat United.

Spot-fixing is the route you have to go in team sports to be consistently fixing outcomes. Bookings, throw-ins, corners, etc. But to think that 6/7/8 of our players were taking money to throw matches is a wild conspiracy theory. 

if you wanted to fix matches,you`de have to get at the officials,there was a massive scandal in the nba a few years ago when one of the court refs was sent to jail for nobbling the points betting line,on the whole,footballers earn to much money to risk getting banned for fixing a match,suppose it could happen lower down the leagues but why would you bother fixing a game where there is hardly any money going down on it

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Eddie said:

You have such a naive view of how the world actually works.

Believe it or not things are not black and white, there is grey area in everything.

I'm not saying match fixing and betting scams are absolutely certainly going on here but to say it isn't possible is totally childish.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, aletheia said:

Team?

P Robinson (c)
B Orr
S Dann
G Givet
M Olsson
M Formica
D Dunn
J Lowe
M Pedersen
J Hoilett
Y Aiyegbeni

SPURS

B Friedel
K Walker
W Gallas (c)
Y Kaboul
D Rose
A Lennon
L Modric
Sandro
G Bale
R van der Vaart
E Adebayor

Blimey, we had the ultimate bottle jobs like Orr, Dann, Lowe, and Pedersen up against players like Kyle Walker, Gallas, Danny Rose, Aaron Lennon at his peak, Modric and Bale and people wonder why we struggled to make any impression?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

if you wanted to fix matches,you`de have to get at the officials,there was a massive scandal in the nba a few years ago when one of the court refs was sent to jail for nobbling the points betting line,on the whole,footballers earn to much money to risk getting banned for fixing a match,suppose it could happen lower down the leagues but why would you bother fixing a game where there is hardly any money going down on it

Yes, Tim Donaghy.

We actually had the former investigator who wrote the book on the betting scandal in the NBA on our podcast a couple of years ago:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5MBsIQIQSwsjcEY8Jo8rgf?si=bfacb337868745a3

He continues to research and speak about match-fixing and sports gambling. It's a really interesting topic and he speaks about it all very well.

1 hour ago, Upside Down said:

You have such a naive view of how the world actually works.

Believe it or not things are not black and white, there is grey area in everything.

I'm not saying match fixing and betting scams are absolutely certainly going on here but to say it isn't possible is totally childish.

See above, I might not know as little about the topic as you'd like to make out.

I 100% believe that there is match-fixing in every sport on a weekly basis. I just remain highly skeptical of the idea that a team at the highest level of a sport would be throwing matches. Spot-fixing definitely, but games being thrown is a little bit harder for me to wrap my head around.

Match fixing in individual sports or at a much lower level? That I do buy.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lraC said:

89 min: "Steve Kean for England," chant the home fans.

90+2 min: You've got to feel for those in the away end at White Hart Lane, who will have paid £30 to watch their team do this. What a miserable way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Match fixing in individual sports or at a much lower level? That I do buy.

as a commited gambler,who will bet on most things,i can tell you that

snooker at the lower levels is as straight as a shepherds crook

tennis at challenger level is bent

rugby league has a major problem of handicap nobbling

darts outside the top players is bent

most team sports are clean,you will always get a few rogues,but thats life