BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Venky’s, HMRC…The Plot Thickens ?

• Backroom

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13072173/SPORTS-AGENDA-Man-United-fans-consulted-Old-Traffords-future-Sir-Jim-Ratcliffes-INEOS-group-keen-quick-decision-PLUS-Jon-Dahl-Tomasson-quit-Blackburn.html

"Many believe the departure of Jon Dahl Tomasson last week was down to a lack of funds at Blackburn as owners Venkys tighten the purse strings.

A more stringent approach is certainly taking place. Rovers' scouts have found themselves questioned by bean counters after choosing to use the M6 Toll (at a cost of £8.90) to get to games. 

And parking charges have been queried when scouts have not been provided with spaces at certain away grounds."

I'm all for a good conspiracy theory, but are we really querying parking fees? Would be fairly crazy that for a multi million business. Smells a bit like BS. 

• Like 1

Have to say the M6 toll road is a cause of friction in our household; I don't like paying it, others like missing the delights of Birmingham

The penny pinching on parking etc chimes with other stories about the players' shirts. 

Presumably this comes from the top from a chap who is worth every penny of his £300,000 plus a year

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Silas said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13072173/SPORTS-AGENDA-Man-United-fans-consulted-Old-Traffords-future-Sir-Jim-Ratcliffes-INEOS-group-keen-quick-decision-PLUS-Jon-Dahl-Tomasson-quit-Blackburn.html

"Many believe the departure of Jon Dahl Tomasson last week was down to a lack of funds at Blackburn as owners Venkys tighten the purse strings.

A more stringent approach is certainly taking place. Rovers' scouts have found themselves questioned by bean counters after choosing to use the M6 Toll (at a cost of £8.90) to get to games. 

And parking charges have been queried when scouts have not been provided with spaces at certain away grounds."

I'm all for a good conspiracy theory, but are we really querying parking fees? Would be fairly crazy that for a multi million business. Smells a bit like BS. 

At a club that closed the ticket office on a match day and tried to force fans to print their tickets and mascots to buy their own shirts…?
Sounds about right 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Silas said:

Actually sounds totally believable from a club that doesn't have enough shirst to give to mascots. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Salgados Hair said:

Accrington's owner seeking attention again.

ah.PNG

He's a bitter Dingle who only went to Accrington because that lot didn't want him. I thought he was selling Accrington after he threw his toys out of the pram when Jimmy Bell called him out on Radio Lancashire.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Silas said:

Bloody hell this can't be true

Most will use the toll around here...especially when charging it back to the company. You have to be bent out of shape to object to £8 to avoid the hell that is the M6 Jct 11 to Jct 5

Edited by Dreams of 1995

4 hours ago, Salgados Hair said:

Accrington's owner seeking attention again.

ah.PNG

Yep, can't argue with him. Three FA Cups, a League Cup and three top 4 finishes since Venky's bought the club. Best owners in football.

Another prat who is praising them for paying the bills. I'll wait for the same praise to be dished out to the Hemmings family and others who are quietly doing similar in the Championship.

• Like 3

• Backroom
3 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Bloody hell this can't be true

Well that's 2 believe it, you and me not....call it 2 all.

Just how grim are things that it's even a debate. 

Surely you want your scouts actually scouting not sitting in traffic.

Their wages and time must be worth more than a £9 toll or £10/15 parking whilst they walk from miles away. 

On 12/02/2024 at 10:06, Silas said:

Genuinely no problem with the club accountant(s) keeping a track of frivolous spending. I work in the public sector and know how quickly those types of charges add up - and how much my colleagues take it for granted ("oh I'll just put my coffee on expenses [3 times a day]").

That said until they sort out the CEO being paid £300k a year and returning nothing of value they're wasting their time.

11 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Never encountered him before that tweet but he sounds like a twat.

He knows damn well it'll insence Rovers fans and amuse dingles that's why hes done it but i'm sure in the past hes raised questions about their running of the club.

Seems the wind blows a different way for this fella everyday.

• Like 2

in some ways Holt needs to be a bit careful, as the casual fan, who might want to see them do well, but are long standing Rovers fans, may well have second thoughts in future.

• Like 3

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Genuinely no problem with the club accountant(s) keeping a track of frivolous spending. I work in the public sector and know how quickly those types of charges add up - and how much my colleagues take it for granted ("oh I'll just put my coffee on expenses [3 times a day]")

I can get that, but you're talking more luxuries there. Coffees, muffins, rip off paninis etc.

You don't need them. You need to travel.

Waste would be 1st class trains instead of standard,  taxi instead of walk/bus, fly instead of train.

Toll and parking fees are base level of what you need to do the job. No extravagance or overspend possible imo. Just basic necessities.

• Like 2

On 12/02/2024 at 10:06, Silas said:

Even if this is BS. Any negative press articles or negative attention on the owners is only a good thing. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NeilInBristol said:

Any updates from anyone/sources? Amazed that the Wharton sale went through and we didn't immediately see images of the venkys shopping for another property in Manchester 

They're under the microscope and have been since 2021.

The investigation is at a "nascent stage" and the ED really don't seem to like them.

I think there's a lot more to this than a couple of unpaid tax bills. There's been tentative accusations made that they're laundering money for a long time. When you read about money laundering in sports and football in particular they tick a lot of boxes. Now they're under investigation and have already been done for tax fraud.

To send money overseas it has to be rubber stamped by the ED. They refuse to grant permission and so they have to go to court to be allowed to send over funds. The first time they were granted permission was when the club received the threat from HMRC for winding up. They were granted to send ~3.4 million to pay that bill.

The last time it was for the ~11 million.

These court cases get postponed all the time. I can't remember exactly but I think one of them was even postponed because they were going for lunch or something.

When the case was postponed in October they took out the loan against Brockhall to cover the bills.

I am still doing the timeline but I've been under the pump for the last week so haven't had any time to work on it.

• Like 7