BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

I was firmly in the sell Gallagher camp, but when he came on yesterday he was the best player in both boxes easily, brings energy to the forward line which is only matched by Szmodics and Dolan. 

shame he is our best defender and striker also didn’t realise we have an option of a year so won’t be leaving for free.

• Like 1

• Backroom

I wasn’t sure about the Ennis links last week as didn’t think we’d get rid but he wasn’t injured yesterday just not selected.

He obviously didn’t travel either given we were 1 short on the bench.

Feel he may move on this week 

Gallagher as a striker now will do a lot better than the ones we've had for a while. He can also play instead of either ineffective wing as we need more physicality on the pitch. First and foremost Hyam has to shore up the defence and Pears brought be back into the team. Conceding cheap goals will take its toll on the morale. 

1 minute ago, Tom said:

I wasn’t sure about the Ennis links last week as didn’t think we’d get rid but he wasn’t injured yesterday just not selected.

He obviously didn’t travel either given we were 1 short on the bench.

Feel he may move on this week 

Hope so. Doesn't suit our style of play. 

23 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

And to avoid this situation in summer, we need £11million of additional sales income (not Venky handouts) by 30th June.

£11million less the Raya money (£5million isn't it?)  IF that deal is completed before 30th June.

Same scenario as when we sold the training ground because the Armstrong sale didn't happen in time. Although the Armstrong money then vanished so we were left without both.

So what player assets do we have who can muster £11m (or £6m) before 30th June ?

And with the window system is that 2 months of time to do it ?

So where is the Szmodics rumour from ?

Developing the Championship top scorer in 1 year and selling him is EXACTLY the project the club announced.

They have never once mentioned promotion.

Only avoiding relegation.

Sell Adam Wharton for 20m plus 

1 minute ago, Ossydave said:

Ennis favours a move down south, he's just waiting on the right interest. Barnsley nightlife ain't really for him. Suspect he'll end up at a London club.

Charlton? 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Wharton, Sigurdsson and Szmodics do. Just need a striker who does

So 3 our of a squad of 20 or so.

That along with results tells me that the playing style isn't working.

• Like 1

Lots of pity online from west Brom fans and a common note is from minute one we didn't put a foot in or try and win a header (see goal one).  My JDT sympathy is waining but there's no excuse on a personal level for our defence (who probably have the most experience of the squad barring the keeper) to be so reluctant to win any challenge.  

Unsure how you change this let alone if the players (who you get the idea have thrown the towel in) or the manager (who may have done the same) do so.  I bang on about having no physicality on here and it showed in the best championship 11 when no one could pick a defensive midfielder from 12 or so years.  

Unfortunately there's nice football on the front foot and an inability to track back when put under pressure and no outlet when put under pressure.  Moran is a technical player but has no desire to defend and Sigurdson seems a nice to have.  Under pressure Leonard can't hold the ball up, Gally can but he's got no touch to keep it. 

Brittain either has a transfer lined up or has had a fall out - his performances in the last month have been PIP territory in any other field. 

I'd be inclined if we persist with this daft formation and bombing fullbacks to start with 

Pears

Pickering Wharton Hyam Carter 

Wharton Tronstad 

Garret Szmod Leonard

Gally 

Unsure there is many goals but thought we'd looked better this year with Hill at right back.  Leonard looked okay when he was right wing going back a few games and has desire to work hard. Puts a few more grafters in the team and hopefully secured the defence more.

The one outstanding issue is how you tell a backline with 300 championship defenders to win a header or put a boot in 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

And to avoid this situation in summer, we need £11million of additional sales income (not Venky handouts) by 30th June.

£11million less the Raya money (£5million isn't it?)  IF that deal is completed before 30th June.

Same scenario as when we sold the training ground because the Armstrong sale didn't happen in time. Although the Armstrong money then vanished so we were left without both.

So what player assets do we have who can muster £11m (or £6m) before 30th June ?

And with the window system is that 2 months of time to do it ?

So where is the Szmodics rumour from ?

Developing the Championship top scorer in 1 year and selling him is EXACTLY the project the club announced.

They have never once mentioned promotion.

Only avoiding relegation.

The summer window tends to open mid June so we’d have the rest of this window plus circa 14 days.

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Charlton? 

I doubt it, they have Alfie May who's probably better, plus they've had a bid accepted for Clarke Harris, again - another player who'd probably be better for us that Ennis.

21 hours ago, Gav said:

How long has he been here Eddie? I believe he's played over 200 games for us? But you're right of course, he's struggled with injury over the past 2 seasons.

Most fans, if the money was reinvested, would take the deal, but we all know that money probably wouldn't see the light of day, even if someone was willing to pay a decent fee. 

It might not be a question of whether or not the money is reinvested.

We may find ourselves in a situation where we have to cut costs. If we do, then Gallagher would be the most sensible place to do so.

This is going to be a huge few weeks coming up, with the end of the window and 4 home games on the bounce, starting with Huddersfield on Saturday, who we owe one after the performance at their place.

No excuses about horrendous fixture schedules, there's plenty of time now to get back on the training pitch and sort out our problems.  I would be more worried if I didn't know that the likes of Hyam and Carter are good players in an awful patch of form, something they'll come out of soon hopefully.

Selling Gallagher at the moment would not be a good idea, just like letting Travis go was a mistake. These are the type of players you need on the pitch in situations like this, whatever you may feel about them

• Like 1

The problem we have is I just don’t see them selling, at all. Most other owners that dived in to a purchase they were wholly unsuited for would’ve given it up as a bad job 5/8/10 years ago.

This lot? They will keep hold of it until, well, I’m not sure what will be left by then.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Nixon says we are battling Millwall for cresswell. Also a permanent not loan…

Not in a bad way but At least he's trying to give us a bit of hope. He gets a lot of things right. Hopefully he can start getting our news on point

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

exactly. Plus he has just signed a new contract and if he want to leave or clubs interested why would he sign that new contract. Its non story based on pointless rumours

He signed that new contract because he would have been an idiot not to!

Who would turn down longer term security and a bigger wage!?!?

If a bid for Sammie ticks the box for our owners then he will be out the door irrespective of any new contract.

It really is that simple.

I will be very pleasantly surprised if he is still with us on 1 Feb. 

• Like 3