BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

I don't think Wharton will move to Palace

He has a good chance of starting there, but then you look at a player like Will Hughes. Okay he's a regular PL player now but to where he could have been, he has sort of stagnated a bit at Palace

You have to hope those advising him are telling him to stay true to his word. Another season after this, of regular Championship football, and he will be ready to move to an aspiring Prem club

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheRevAshton said:

Although he's more for the future, i'm happy with the signing of O'Riordan.

I've read some of the Crewe fan's reactions, and they pretty much all seem to think we've had their pants down getting him for 500k - pricing him more in the 2m region.

On the other hand, we still desperately need experience... if they're spending that much on a kid, they'd better have more to spend on the more pressing matters - and can expect pelters if not!

Yes but they also thought Pickering would play for England!

1 hour ago, SuperBrfc said:

Not even blinking at that signing. A League Two defender for £500k. Sounds about right for the recruitment team down there.

As a side note, the Crewe lad has the same agent as: Hedges, Brittain, Bloxham, Gilsenan, Jacob Davenport, Dom Samuel and Shane Duffy.

As with a few others it just seems the extent of the recruitment is to use the usual clutch of club friendly agents so it's hardly revolutionary scouting.

No doubt some connection between Broughton and some of these will come to light at some point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, windymiller7 said:

Interestingly, I've just noticed that Bobby Mimms is actively looking for work on his LinkedIn. States "Open to new opportunities". Even at 60, surely he's still got a hell of a lot to offer our goalkeeping dept?

Not that I expect anything like like that to even cross the minds of the cockwombles in charge at Ewood.

Sadly he probably isn't up to speed with the English lower league revolution of total football starting from the keeper !

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

Sadly he probably isn't up to speed with the English lower league revolution of total football starting from the keeper !

But his handling and positioning is probably still better than the two incumbents at 60 years of age.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

Wharton is only just up to Championship speed and isn't ready for the Premier League yet. And he can do better than Palace, if he's prepared to wait. 

If Palace gets close to signing him I reckon a bigger club than Palace will step in. With better coaches he could go to the top but from what I've heard he doesn't want to leave.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

He wouldn't have got in ahead of Hyam, Carter, Hill (before he got recalled), Wharton anyway so it wouldn't have made any difference.

I'm firmly of the opinion that personnel is not the problem anyway, the coaching is the problem. Hyam, Carter, Hill are all very good players at this level but they look like very poor players at the moment who can't do the basics well.

I think that might be down to neglecting the basics of defending and defensive set ups in favour of trying to improve them on the ball and pick the next pass. Coaching probably geared to that to try and make them look better footballers than they actually are when really they are still in the development stage as actual defenders and still need defensive drills and set piece work as their core training.

I'd say similar with the keeper dept.

It's all about trying to run before you can walk with this regime.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

The fee is irrelevant to us. At most clubs, we might get a replacement and also get in a striker and a CB for say £3m each. Here, we won't, it will vanish.

Yeah I know they won't reinvest the money, just curious as to how much less our incompetent owners would have to put in next time.

£15 million isn't enough imo. If you look at recent championship transfers to premier league teams.  

Alex Scott - 23m 

Tyler Adams - 27m 

Keane Lewis Potter - 19m 

Edited by ABRAM ROVER
Sorry figures are Euros
  • Like 3

Adam genuinely loves the club, and dreams of getting promoted with us - quite simply, I don't think he's anywhere near ready to leave his boyhood club.

It'll take a lot more than £15m... and everyone knows it, including Gregg.

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, ABRAM ROVER said:

£15 million isn't enough imo. If you look at recent championship transfers to premier league teams.  

Alex Scott - 23m 

Tyler Adams - 27m 

Keane Lewis Potter - 19m 

I suspect the club would prefer a lesser upfront fee, with the deal stacked in future add ons/sell on clauses. We get a good chunk now but then a few additional payments over the next few years to aid with future cashflow etc.

• Like 1

15 million with 5 upfront and some guaranteed add ons that could to it to 25 million is sound business for this club.

I don't for one min want to sell him but these lot will balls it up anyway down the track if he stays you can almost set that in stone.

6 minutes ago, Rover8T4 said:

15m is a good fee for wharton as long as there's a sell on clause. The money is made on the second deal if he hits the heights of his potential 

Not to bad a fee but would need to build in sell on fees for every move he makes thereafter. Heard Darren McAnthony, Pboro chairman discussing this for a few of players they have sold like Toney.

Despite that, don’t think Adam will fancy this particular move 

Edited by Judge21
  • Like 1