BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

2 minutes ago, Tim Southampton Rover said:

From what I've seen from the American guy, he couldn't control a balloon without it bouncing 5 yards off his foot. 

He looks abit of a lump but he knows where the goal is. I'm abit sceptical about him but with that goal scoring record i'm happy to be proven wrong.

Still we need someone with abit of flair and pace.

1 minute ago, robfranlong81 said:

Playing Devil's advocate here but isn't that the job of the Academy? Find a diamond, polish them up and sell them on for a decent chunk of money. Sadly with the way the club is being run you and with the well documented financial issues this isn't a deal that the club can turn down. 

Spot on, but I still have a tear in my eye right now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lraC said:

I have to admit, I rate him very highly and it that's too highly in some people eye's I will hold my hands up.

He is the real deal in my opinion and will shine for Palace.

My guess is he will be there no more than 2 full seasons and he will get a mega move.

Maybe he will, but the certainty with which people say it is, quite frankly, insane.

He's very talented for his age, but still fails to make an impact for us consistently. Now he has to do that at a much higher level. The higher level might suit him. He may benefit from having more talented players around him, but it's still a big step.

We can sometimes have blinders on when viewing our own talent. That player x is definitely the best in a certain position in the league or the type of talent we haven't seen in years.

We're not long removed from serious debates of 'Dack or Grealish?'.

I wish him all the best, but there's a very good chance that he never comes close to the heights that many on here are expecting. A good Premier League career would still be incredible and a testament to his talent and our academy, but people talk about him as if he is a world-class talent.

We could go through a fairly long list of players of a similar age who are already proving themselves at a much higher level. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lraC said:

Spot on, but I still have a tear in my eye right now.

Always sad to lose one of our own. Let's hope they remember to include a sell-on clause because Palace will sell him for double in 2 or 3 years.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tim Southampton Rover said:

From what I've seen from the American guy, he couldn't control a balloon without it bouncing 5 yards off his foot. 

Suspected as much.

Sell Wharton then spent a fraction of the net proceeds on assorted dross. At least the Championship manager brigade will be happy.

Oh well - if we're looking for a Gallagher clone this guy sounds absolutely ideal. A like for like replacement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Maybe he will, but the certainty with which people say it is, quite frankly, insane.

He's very talented for his age, but still fails to make an impact for us consistently. Now he has to do that at a much higher level. The higher level might suit him. He may benefit from having more talented players around him, but it's still a big step.

We can sometimes have blinders on when viewing our own talent. That player x is definitely the best in a certain position in the league or the type of talent we haven't seen in years.

We're not long removed from serious debates of 'Dack or Grealish?'.

I wish him all the best, but there's a very good chance that he never comes close to the heights that many on here are expecting. A good Premier League career would still be incredible and a testament to his talent and our academy, but people talk about him as if he is a world-class talent.

We could go through a fairly long list of players of a similar age who are already proving themselves at a much higher level. 

You are right, it is very easy to get overly excited, but form what I see, I really do believe he is the real deal.

Time will tell and obviously he is very young, but I would be very excited about his prospects, if I was a member of his family.

1 minute ago, 47er said:

Always sad to lose one of our own. Let's hope they remember to include a sell-on clause because Palace will sell him for double in 2 or 3 years.

The sell on clause is essential, but worries that non of the reports so far have mentioned this being included.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

He looks abit of a lump but he knows where the goal is. I'm abit sceptical about him but with that goal scoring record i'm happy to be proven wrong.

Still we need someone with abit of flair and pace.

American Vieri

Sheffield Wednesday potentially beating us to McGuire and Palace signing our biggest talent...?

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

We will only sign players trying to stay in the division, not progress. Then they will have to reassess come the summer if we should push for better or just stay as a development club. 

Really not sure about this American lad, £2.3m for 15 goals in 37 MLS appearances doesn't bode well.  We don't need potentially another donkey upfront (hope I have to eat my words)   

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Great move for Adam, for Rovers and Palace. We get the cash, he gets a PL move to club where he will get games and WHEN he shines bright Palace will benefit, firstly on the pitch and then we’ll all benefit financially when he goes to a CL giant for £50-100m. I genuinely think he is good enough..

Now, PLEASE god, give the best manager we’ve had in god knows how long, the money to bring in 2-4 of the right level of players to bolster this team. 🙏🏽

Again, have to disagree, think it's a terrible move for Wharton relatively speaking and we'd have been much better served waiting until summer.

What makes you think "the right level of player" is coming in? Would you put the US guy in that category?

Genuine question as I don't know but I can't really see it.

• Like 2

I think Wharton actually suits the Premier League more than the Championship. He will thrive with better players around him. At least he'll go and play games at Palace and continue to develop rather than move to a big club just to play in the reserves for 5 years. I think he could still have moved to a better team and played regularly in the summer but good luck to him. 

Edited by Tim Southampton Rover
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, jny said:

Really not sure about this American lad, £2.3m for 15 goals in 37 MLS appearances doesn't bode well.  We don't need potentially another donkey upfront (hope I have to eat my words)   

Thats a better strike rate than Messi in the MLS to be fair. Would rather decide with the eye not stats

4 minutes ago, jny said:

Rookie of the year in the MLS so should be a decent prospect for the Championship. When I see the inflated prices going around, £2.3m really isn't that much these days. Vålerenga asking £4m for Ilic is one example of what clubs expect these days.

£25m for Adam should be minimum imo, plus a hefty sell-on.

Just now, TheRevAshton said:

If Duncan McGuire ended up going to Wednesday, there'd be outrage. People would be saying we've missed out on the next big thing.

Now that it looks like we've won the race, he's suddenly the next George Hirst.

Bloody hell... if we sign him, just get behind the lad 👍

FFS.

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

So.....We've flogged off the crown jewels (Phillips and Wharton) for the grand sum of £24m.

What do we do in 12 to 18 months Time?

We do the same with Szmodics, Carter, Dolan, JRC... the cycle will continue until we make the breakthrough and get promoted.

Crystal Palace could well get relegated this season as they are only 5p clear off and it will be coming to a club fighting relegation.....If he loves the club so much a move to one of the bigger clubs would had been more sensible......

• Like 1