BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 1 - 1 West Brom

I'm a bit concerned with this diamond midfield formation that Souness is keen on. From all accounts it didn't work in the first half today and to be honest I don't think it will ever work because it restricts the width of the midfield.

A point, I suppose, isn't too bad.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give a short match report.Just got back (well half way, im in a friend of families house) and first off,Bobby G! Were sky watching a different match??

West Brom didnt have a shot in the first half till the goal and rovers played, well ok. What formation we were playing i dont know though!

In the second have we were great and we changed to a 3-4-3 formation with yorke just behind Dickov(who was great) and stead. But Tugay changed the game.

We were very unlucky not to win in the end, with Emerton(why wont he shoot) and Fergie going close.

Overall, a decent performance but we must play a 3-4-3 all the time! It suits Tugay and Yorkie perfectly.

Anyway, my match ratings. In the 3-4-3 formation

Freidel 6

Amo 6

Matteo 6

Short 7.5

Gray 7.5

Fergie 7

Tugay 8 (gresko who started 6)

Emerton 6

Stead 6

Yorke 8 (My man of the match)

Dickov 7

Oh and de pedro was pretty poor in the first half, thankfully he got taken off.

Also, remember we started with 0-0 draw at home against sunderland the season we came 6th. And up next is a very average southampton team, and maybe without beattie

Edited by greggyk

No, it's...

Friedel

Emerton   Short   Amoruso   Gray

Ferguson Matteo Gresko

De Pedro

Yorke    Stead

Excellent, Souness wins the "how many players can I play out of position despite having virtually a full squad" 2004/5 award, already. Congratulations.

Absolutely agreed, alex. Perhaps those who were at the match can shed some light on this for us, but if that was indeed the formation Rovers were playing, I'm well and truly baffled. It's one thing to scramble things up and shift people around when your club's beset by injuries in the middle of the season--but it's quite another entirely to start a new campaign off with some crazy ass formation like that.

ohmy.gif

back in rainy/sunny/wintry Leyland following the match, heres my summary.

After a very slow and unconvincing first half we wnet in 1-0 down to a fluke deflection, however if ever a half was won on enterprise then WBA took it. I decided that just before the whistle Rovers had to change, the side was so lob sided with the left hand side with Gresko and de Pedro and Matteo all appearing to be unsure of exactly what position they were playing. However this was not the only quandarry, there was so much space down the right flank you had to wonder where the right side had gone ! I was releived when the first half whistle went and spent 14 minutes wondering, contemplating on what changes could be made to effect a Rovers recovery.

Enter the second half. Rovers quickly adopted a 3-5-2 formation with Shorty playing right back. My oh my I was surprised. To see Dickov's enthusiasm was great and I think the team immediately stepped through 4 gears with Tugay the cog needed to supplement the grafting done by our captain.

The change was a miracle. We had runners, we had players available, we had effort, we had enthusiasm, we had everything apart from Emerton willing to take on the left back.

Tugay alongside Fergie is a great combination. Fergie is a box to box midfielder who had a great game today. Tugay when on form passes to a fellow Blue 94% of the time. Dickov alongside Stead allowed the youngster to roam more and get more of the ball, Dropping Yorke into midfield is not too bad an option but he still has that laid back style which leave you exposed when he loses the ball.

As for the equaliser, a great header that showed the bravery of Short. two minutes later we had the chance to take the lead as wba buckled under relenting pressure. Enter Emerton, our aussie hero born with a will to win (allegedly), put in by a fantastic pass, rounds 2 finds space, he has the whole left hand side of the goal to aim at with his left foot and what does he do ? tries to swing it onto his right peg, hits thin air, falls over with the ball in his feet and attempts a swan dive that makes RVN proud to come second !

a draw was a fitting result. JHC we are only 2 points behind the leaders ! If anything this result can prove a lot better with 5 very difficult games coming up. We should have won but didnt.

Summary

freidel - 6 nothing whatsoever he could do with the free kick.

Gray - 7 - enterprising and willing runner.

Short - 7 - good solid performance great header.

Amo - 7 - solid, only 1 mistake and christ was it a mistake !

Emerton -5 - enigma. the wba left back has just had the easiest game ever.

Fergie - 8 - box to box for the full 90 minutes.

Gresko -6 - lost in the first half

Matteo - 6 - again lost in first half, solid 2nd should have scored.

de Pedro - 5- looked out of sorts but is a sweet crosser of the ball.

Yorke - 6 - looked up for it, good touches and poor touches. Seems like a weight has been lifted now cole has gone.

stead - very quiet first half, came into the game in the 2nd.

Tugay -7 - very creative and wanted the ball. Must start at Southampton.

Dickov - 7 - up for it and a breath of fresh air, got the forwards going and unsettled the defence in particular the giant that is darren moore !

Gally -6 - not enough time to make a solid enough effort.

The crowd ? well the only thing I will say is that all of those tosseers in the rear of the Blackburn End who decided to boo, go away we dont want you. I can offer better expletives but I will get shot !

referee - -1 useless and very incosistent.

outlook ? well if we get a win on the coast it looks rosey, if its a defeat then we are really in for a long long hard winter tinykit.gif

Guest Kamy100

I suppose a point is ok after the first half.

The first half was sire. not because West Briom were any great shakes but because we were very poor. Yes we were organised but that was about it, to many long balls and the players were very static. It allowed West Brom to play their containing game effectively. It looked as the the formation was one that the players were not comfortable with. Unlucky with their goal although serious questions against the wall which seemed to break.

The second half was a completely different story. I thought that the change to the formation and also the substitutions worked very well. Tugay was allowed time and space so he controllled the game, it also allowed Ferguson the licence to roam forward. However, despite all the possession we didn't create that many opportunities, can't remember Hoult having to make any serious saves.

In terms of players I have to take my hat of to Mr Yorke. He was superb. Worked hard, made intelligent runs, hardly gave the ball away and most importantly showed that he cared. Also thought that Dickov made a big difference in the second half with his non-stop running. Fergie was also very good, although was watching him closely and as captain wasn't doing to much shouting. Concern would be how we are going to fit in De Pedro, it looked to me that the formation in the first half was designed to accommodate De Pedro and it just didn't work. Thought that Emerton is really lacking confidence which was summed up during the second half when he two great opportunities to shoot when in the box but instead decided to pass the buck.

The formations - All I can say about the first half was that it was a mess players were static and it made life easy for West Brom. The second half things were much better. I don't think that we can that way all the time because better quality sides would expose us at the back, today it worked because West Brom were prepared to sit back during the second half. But still at least it gives us options.

Overall though a point is satisfactory. Team needs just a bit of fine tuning and hopefully the next signing will be someone who has pace because that is one thing that we lacked today.

Concern would be how we are going to fit in De Pedro, it looked to me that the formation in the first half was designed to accommodate De Pedro and it just didn't work.

He's the only left sided midfielder at the club, how do you not fit him in? The formation today was probably brought about because of the absence of any right sided midfielders when Emerton was put to right back more than accomodating De Pedro.

If we play a normal formation then De Pedro is surely going to be one of the first names on the sheet because he's the only left sided midfielder at the club?

Guest Kamy100
Concern would be how we are going to fit in De Pedro, it looked to me that the formation in the first half was designed to accommodate De Pedro and it just didn't work.

He's the only left sided midfielder at the club, how do you not fit him in? The formation today was probably brought about because of the absence of any right sided midfielders when Emerton was put to right back more than accomodating De Pedro.

If we play a normal formation then De Pedro is surely going to be one of the first names on the sheet because he's the only left sided midfielder at the club?

The problem that we have with De Pedro is that he lacks pace. The way we play when it is 4-4-2 requires the wingers to work up and down the pitch. I just think that De Pedro wouldn't be able to do that. Don't get me wrong I think that De Pedro has fantastic ability but we just need to find the right way to use him most effectively.

What a strange match. I thought West Brom were useless and one of the worst teams i have seen in a long time apart from Kanu who looked a class above the rest. Saying that we drew 1-1 and i thought our second half display was great. Apart from the money i lost on the game i was very happy with the display and if we play like that every week we should have no problem.

Deja vu anyone? First half we were pretty much awful - nervous, sluggish and disjointed, we struggled to string together more than a couple of passes at a time, and I can't recall us troubling Hoult at all. Fortunately West Brom were pretty awful themselves, and until we conceded the goal from a needless freekick they hadn't forced a save out of Friedel. There was little he could do for West Brom's goal, the freekick took a nasty deflection and he just couldn't reach it in time. So far, new season, same old story, and the team were booed by some sections of the crowd as they went off at half time.

Second half we were much brighter, largely thanks to the introduction of Tugay and Dickov. We finally stopped squandering possession and started causing the Baggies a few problems. Dickov in particular was all over the pitch, nipping at defenders heels and generally making a nuisance of himself. We had a couple of half chances before the breakthrough came, but West Brom packed their own half and dug in to defend the lead. When the goal did come we had been camped in the opposition half for a good 15 minutes, and it was no more than our second half performance deserved. We nearly got a winner a few minutes from the end, but Yorke couldn't quite stretch far enough to steer the ball inside the post.

In terms of positives to take from the match, Ferguson, Short, Gray and Amoruso all played well, and but for some resolute defending by West Brom we might have nicked it if we had taken our chances better. Even Yorke looked interested for a change, and if he keeps playing with the level of commitment he showed today Souness's decision to hang on to him may yet be vindicated. On the downside, Emerton was poor, Gresko anonymous, and we still seem unable to play two decent halves of football in the same match. Very much a Jeckyll and Hyde performance really - if we play as badly as we did first half it's going to be a very long season, if we play the way we did after the break we should be okay.

Expected more to be honest but what the hell, its only early doors.Have a feeling that will be the last of the 'diamond formation' by Mr Souness as it cleary does not work with the players we have,many appeared to not know what position to play!.Fair do's to Dickov who hussled and bussled and looked very lively....still big worries about the attack, I stand by my comments that we need to adequately replace Cole.Play like we did in the first half today against better opposition and the game will be over at half time for Rovers.

Overall summary: CAN AND MUST DO BETTER.

P.S.

Looking through the programme I was surprised to see that a larger crowd was on Ewood for the game against WBA in Div 1 back in 2001 !!!!!

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Only got to see the game's goals on ESPN, will watch the full match tomorrow morning (630 am ugh) but I have only two things to say...

What kind of lame excuse for a wall was that?

and

Short scored? of all the competent midfielders and strikers we have, what an odd way to grab a point tongue.gif

Just got back to a rather peed off sunny Blackpool (They just got beat 4-0 at home to stockport biggrin.gif ) im happy with a point, i expected a 1-1 draw and thats what we got.

2nd half i thought we were excellent, possession must have been 90% rovers.

I cant be bothered, i agree with what greggyk has said in his report so i wont bother writing it all again. All i will say is Tugay and Ferguson - excellent, Tugay changed the game. Dickov and Yorke - Excellent, yorke a definate contender for man of the match, better second half. Overall id agree with the peter jackson man of the match and give it to fergie. Gray was good again, amo mainly solid, good goal from short. Matteo im not too sure about yet, de pedro really didnt play well and emerton looked ok at right back, same old problems second half unfortunately.

ok im done

Looking through the programme I was surprised to see that a larger crowd was on Ewood for the game against WBA in Div 1 back in 2001 !!!!!

That is appalling! But I guess it sums up the mood/feeling in and around the club at the minute.

Bit gutted we didnt get more out of the game, but I am trying to keep optimistic unsure.gif

Matteo im not too sure about yet,

I told you Matteo will be a dissapointing signing

*cue 1000 replies about it only being his first competitive game for Rovers*

How long is Thompson going to be abscent? We really need him back so he can provide good competition for Emerton- who seems to taking off from where he ended last season.

Good to hear Yorke had a good game- I'm not his biggest fan but a dissapointing result and hearing Yorke had a stinker would of been even more saddening.

poor ?slater....id describe him and his pathetic linesman as...

an ineptuselessgoodfornothinonesidedblindsonofbitchwithtotallynoideatossr

roverite the only boos i heard were directed at hitler ooops i mean the ref.

Why do we have these sort of refs week in week out,we COULD HAVE (like you could have paid more attention in school) had 3/4 pens today.Without seeing the freekick again from my seat it looked like matteo took the ball.Late on when the ref finally gave us something,when dickovs head was sat on the linesman was only yards stood there with the flag up his arse.

Firstly, a bit of credit to West brom/Kanu, there midfield got tired after 30 minutes and horsefield didn't look much, but Kanu is one hell of a player, some of his touches and passing were top, top drawer.

I've finally given up on Emerton and decided to join the club, he cannot run straight with the ball, he cannot and will not take on a full back and he is generally useless.

Yorke was fantastic today, especially in the second half, he did some excellent work, were-as he used to get the ball, turn with it in his customary manner and then pass it backwards, today he was using the ball to make some inventive passes. Could he be the attacking midfielder that provides the creativity that we so desperately need?

As for the rest of the team, I really don't know why souness continues to make such strange decisions with his selections as tactics, but we nearly got caught out again today, and its beginning to push me that bit closer to the 'Souness out' clan.

As little faith as I have in Souness; even I never thought that he'd be junking his chosen, carefully planned formation and doing the usual 3 at the back sh1t or bust trick by half time in the first game against the Baggies.

Still, glad to hear that Dickov is living up to the optimists billing and Yorke is surprising all of us. Plus my Dad tells me that De Pedro's raking cross-field passes were remiscient of Waggy (the real one)

Not much mention of Stead so far - how did he do?

Looks as though a long hard season awaits us...........again.

Souness "Survival is the key"

Yorke first choice, Cole gone.

Enjoy you hols Paul? Yep till 3.03pm sad.gif

At least we got a point, but I cant understand why souness always have to play such a ridiculous formation! Playing Gresko, Gray and De Pedro in the starting XI?!

Btw, where was Flitcroft?

Looking forward to the next game, as it's live on telly... hope to see us line up 4-4-2, and with every player in their natural position for a change!

Edited by krislu

At least we got a point, but I cant understand why souness always have to play such a ridiculous formation! Playing Gresko, Gray and De Pedro in the starting XI?!

Btw, where was Flitcroft?

Looking forward to the next game, as it's live on telly... hope to see us line up 4-4-2, and with every player in their natural position for a change!

Well gray and de pedro naturally will be in the starting 11. Gresko played well in midfield last week in bray which explains why he started.

Flitcroft!? if hed been starting i would not have been happy. Yes hes been great for the club but imo its time to move on. I dont want him here. I thought 2nd half the formation worked very well.

Looks as though a long hard season awaits us...........again.

Souness "Survival is the key"

Although staying in the Prem IS no1 priority,like you Paul my first reactions when seeing the headline in the LET was 'oh no not again...same old ,same old.'

The wording of his comment does not fill your average Rovers fan with optimism does it sad.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.