SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Gray

ally

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You kind of went on to answer your own question anyway, but he'll be behind Ashley Cole, Wayne Bridge and J'Lloyd Samuel in the pecking order for left back, I guess Phil Neville will also be ahead of him although I wouldn't do that myself.

By all accounts he was useless in Scotland though and Sven is very relectuant to bring new faces into the squad if they are in their 30's...Gray for England is a none starter really.

By all accounts he was useless in Scotland though and Sven is very relectuant to bring new faces into the squad if they are in their 30's...Gray for England is a none starter really.

That's a bit harsh. He couldn't break into the Celtic team because they used only one player on each flank - the way Alan Thompson played last season he never had much chance.

Bridge, Cole, Samuel, Carragher, P.Neville, Le Saux and Parnaby I think are infront of Gray for that left back spot for England...

Maybe Thompson and Stead can be included in the England squad if they perform well this season...

That's a bit harsh. He couldn't break into the Celtic team because they used only one player on each flank - the way Alan Thompson played last season he never had much chance.

Fair enough, I'm just going by what followers of the SPL have said to me, none of them have had a good word to say about him. Not that it matters, he probably thought it wasn't worth the effort as they'd win anyway.

More importantly Barry Ferguson's is in the Scotland Squad and Voigts wants him to play the 90minutes.

Cant work out whether thats good or bad  dry.gif

It's a good thing definitely. Barry needs all the games he can get after the amount of time he has had out. Don't think we have to worry too much of burnout in mid-August.

With all this talk about Gray for England or what he was like at Celtic we seem to have missed the most important point.

That point being; where on earth is MickeysNo1fan? She gone off him or what?

Edited by FourLaneBlue

• 1 year later...

Don't know about an England recall just yet but that was a sensational performance by Gray yesterday. He was up against the one of the trickiest, quickest wingers around and hardly ever let Ronaldo get past him.

Gray showed commendable discipline as Ronaldo got dirtier and dirtier the more frustrated he became.

Gray's passing and surging runs forward brought a dimension to Rovers' play we have been missing for ages no matter how solid Matteo has been at LB.

Gray has a great chance to make the LB slot his own- based on yesterday's performance I hope he siezes it and plays a blinder at the Bridge to make up for last season's nightmare.

My one criticism of the lad is that he can get forwards and put in crosses, but when he does he just seems to stand there and admire his own handiwork.

Two attacks down the flanks for us yesterday summed this up. Both in the first half. Lucas goes on a lung-busting run the length of the field and lays it off to Dickov who shoots really tamely at VDS. Neill turns round, put his head down, and sprints the whole way back. Gray does something similar, puts a cross in, then just stands there. I could see it happening a mile off. Pedersen had to fill in when it was cleared but it was a simple overlap down the rgith for United and Gray was nowhere whilst they created a good chance.

Superb yesterday. On a par with performances given by Le Saux in our championship year. I always thought Gray was a good player at Sunderland but lets be honest he has been mediocre at Ewood up to yesterday. Hopefully he has rediscovered his enthusiasm for the game because he does have above average ability if he can be bothered.

My one criticism of the lad is that he can get forwards and put in crosses, but when he does he just seems to stand there and admire his own handiwork.

Two attacks down the flanks for us yesterday summed this up. Both in the first half. Lucas goes on a lung-busting run the length of the field and lays it off to Dickov who shoots really tamely at VDS. Neill turns round, put his head down, and sprints the whole way back. Gray does something similar, puts a cross in, then just stands there. I could see it happening a mile off. Pedersen had to fill in when it was cleared but it was a simple overlap down the rgith for United and Gray was nowhere whilst they created a good chance.

349291[/snapback]

Iv'e been banging on for a while about the full-backs ( especially Left-Back ) getting forward more often and making our attacking play less predictable, yeterday showed the benefit of that, could anybody see Matteo , steady as he is, robbing Scholes on the edge of their box and putting Pedersen in for the winner ?

Trouble is can Gray defend ? Teams have latched on to the fact that a long diagonal ball over his head usually finds him wanting.

349291[/snapback]

Good point and I totally agree. However, Gray does give us a lot more going forward than any of our other left backs do. It's a balance isn't it and yesterday Gray's good points just about outweighed his bad points. If that continues than he's worth his place in the side.

Gray's performance, whilst being very welcome, was no doubt helped by the fact that MGP actually bothered tracking back and defending, unlike Bentley on the other flank. Granted Bentley did run back more than I would have expected him too, but he didn't seem to have a clue what he was up to once he got near his own box. Thought Lucas did an admirable job considering he was faced with two international wingers in Ronaldo and Richardson taking him on on his own all day. Matteo and Gresko haven't done anything wrong this season, but would still plump for Gray to start the next few games to see if he can regularly play to that standard.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.