BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

He better had start in what is an Academy biased competition.

Joe needs to be given some first team bench time and usage.

The last time I saw the first team squad numbers Nuttall didn't have one. I know they can be registered but surely this lad deserves one and as you quite rightly say some first team involvement. Antonsson was played as the lone striker on Wednesday and looked like a lost little boy. Nuttall has some physical presence and scores goals.

Strange really.

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

He better had start in what is an Academy biased competition.

Joe needs to be given some first team bench time and usage.

I think you will find it is a competition for the 2 lower leagues and they have invited academy sides for the last 2 years ,

16 minutes ago, arbitro said:

The last time I saw the first team squad numbers Nuttall didn't have one. I know they can be registered but surely this lad deserves one and as you quite rightly say some first team involvement. Antonsson was played as the lone striker on Wednesday and looked like a lost little boy. Nuttall has some physical presence and scores goals.

Strange really.

They probably signed Antonsson based on Nuttalls record over the last couple of seasons if they had gone with just Nuttall as a first team signing this forum would have gone into meltdown.

7 minutes ago, had.e.nuff said:

They probably signed Antonsson based on Nuttalls record over the last couple of seasons if they had gone with just Nuttall as a first team signing this forum would have gone into meltdown.

My point was that he has done well enough in pre season and since to earn a chance. 

2 hours ago, had.e.nuff said:

I think you will find it is a competition for the 2 lower leagues and they have invited academy sides for the last 2 years ,

It may well say that on the tin but the thrust of the EFL Trophy has and is evolving to provide Cat 1 Academy with decent competitive match experience against Tier 3 and 4 teams.

EFL rules and the frequent amendments dictate how 'strong' a team the EFL sides can field.

This years eligible player rule amendments were discussed previously in some other thread a month or so ago.

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Strange really.

Only registered players who are eligible for first tean selection can play for EFL teams in the EFL Trophy.......I think :unsure:

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Only registered players who are eligible for first tean selection can play for EFL teams in the EFL Trophy.......I think :unsure:

I think it states cat1 academy players are eligible, rules probably  did not foresee a third tier team with a cat1 adademy

• 2 weeks later...

Cracking game at Leyland with the lads showing Mowbray that they are well worth a place in the first team squad instead of importing other club's youngsters.  The midfield trio of Tomlinson, Hardcastle and Rankin-Costello were outstanding against a very strong Wigan outfit.  Johnson and Dunny have got these lads playing some really entertaining football - so much more enjoyable than watching the tedious build up that we see at first team level. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Cracking game at Leyland with the lads showing Mowbray that they are well worth a place in the first team squad instead of importing other club's youngsters.  The midfield trio of Tomlinson, Hardcastle and Rankin-Costello were outstanding against a very strong Wigan outfit.  Johnson and Dunny have got these lads playing some really entertaining football - so much more enjoyable than watching the tedious build up that we see at first team level. 

Do you think Platt is ready for the first team this season?

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Do you think Platt is ready for the first team this season?

The only way to find out is by playing him.  Platt, Grayson and Charley Doyle were excellent tonight against an experienced opposition.  I can understand Mowbray wanting Downing for his experience of League One football but young Platt should be on the bench at the very least.  We have a crop of really good youngsters at the moment and my fear is that we will lose them if we don't give them an extended chance of first team football. 

• Like 2

Just now, Parsonblue said:

The only way to find out is by playing him.  Platt, Grayson and Charley Doyle were excellent tonight against an experienced opposition.  I can understand Mowbray wanting Downing for his experience of League One football but young Platt should be on the bench at the very least.  We have a crop of really good youngsters at the moment and my fear is that we will lose them if we don't give them an extended chance of first team football. 

Ive only seen him twice. Been impress by times. 

I would imagine Platt will get chance shortly if Lenihan and Mulgrew are injured. Plus Wharton seem to be injured alot recently

3 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

I don't think that there is one player there that won't make it professionally, that doesn't happen often. Hope we really take advantage of this crop.

Edited by RV Blue

21 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

You would have to expect that Mowbray gave assurances to West Brom that Harper will get minutes and bringing him in suggests to me that Mowbray doesn't see the likes of Tomlinson or Hardcastle in his plans for the first team.Likewise the signing of Hunt doesn't really show much faith in Doyle.

I can't remember who said it but it was posted on here in the Summer that at the fans meeting  Mowbray said he didn't see the reasoning behind a league 1 club having a cat 1 academy, as it costs too much and the money it takes to run it could be added to the first team budget.And we could instead pick up some young players released by other clubs.Maybe Mowbray is trying to make a point to the owners with these signings.

Admittedly I have seen no way as much of the youth team as you and others on here,but from what I have seen we look to have a very promising group.These lads deserve a chance and I'm afraid if they don't get a chance when contracts are up they won't renew and other clubs will benefit and again like Mahoney we will lose out

Maybe Kinder seen this coming and that's why he chose to leave

Edited by islander200

Great game and performance tonight...this team and it is a team that's what makes this crop exciting for me are playing the 3-4-2-1 formation to perfection they all press together they hunt the ball in packs and have players who posses quality when required

the 11 that started are the majority of the side that made it to the FAY cup semis a couple of years ago so it isn't a shock to me at the way they have started the season and the performances they are putting out there

Rankin-Costello now has 4 goals in 4 games and has actually scored more goals from open play at this level than Joe Nuttall so far......not bad for a player that is essentially a midfielder granted he's an attacking one but still goal scoring midfield players are like hens teeth 

i do think there is something in Mowbray not wanting a Cat 1 academy for a league 1 club and I think he thinks he can hang a few of these players out to dry if so he's going to get bitten on the arse....I hope I'm wrong in this assumption

this squad of players have something going on at the minute let's hope they can continue it as it looks like they will be together for the season looking at some of the players brought in on deadline day 

A pleasure to watch them tonight against a strong Wigan side containing numerous first team and experienced pros. Unfortunate not to beat them in normal time so to go through on penalties was the least they deserved. I like Travis at wing back, Grayson had an excellent game, Platt very good, Nuttall a real presence up front which was the downfall of the U23s last season. To be honest there was no weak link.

All in all very impressed. Energy and understanding from back to front from start to finish. 

I find it odd/bizarre that Mowbray decided to recruit the 3 players he did on deadline day given the displays of those in U23s this season. But that's up to him and he will be judged on results. One or two of this lot won't be hanging around if we keep taking other clubs kids instead though.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15514899._I_think_we_maybe_need_to_try_and_accelerate_him____Rovers_boss_says_Joe_Nuttall_can_play_a_role_for_the_first_team_this_season/?ref=mac

"I genuinely sit here and think we maybe need to try and accelerate him and I don’t want to take him out of what he’s enjoying which is scoring lots of goals for the Under-23s"

Mowbray comes out with some weird comments. The U'23's exist so that players can break through to the 1st team, not so they can enjoy themselves with no pressure. Get him in the first team if he's good enough.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15514899._I_think_we_maybe_need_to_try_and_accelerate_him____Rovers_boss_says_Joe_Nuttall_can_play_a_role_for_the_first_team_this_season/?ref=mac

"I genuinely sit here and think we maybe need to try and accelerate him and I don’t want to take him out of what he’s enjoying which is scoring lots of goals for the Under-23s"

Mowbray comes out with some weird comments. The U'23's exist so that players can break through to the 1st team, not so they can enjoy themselves with no pressure. Get him in the first team if he's good enough.

That is one strange comment. Using that logic he might as well stay in the u23's for the rest of the season whilst he is scoring. Reading between the lines it's Mowbray telling us not to expect him (or any others) to be in the first team soon. 

Just now, arbitro said:

That is one strange comment. Using that logic he might as well stay in the u23's for the rest of the season whilst he is scoring. Reading between the lines it's Mowbray telling us not to expect him (or any others) to be in the first team soon. 

Could be, but in the full article he lists all his qualities and makes him sound like Shearer!  My (cynical) guess is that he's realised he's better than Antonsson so now has to save a bit of face. Best way to do that is to say he's going to 'accelerate' him i.e. he shouldn't be ready but ToMo has seen his potential early.  

Bl00dy hell, I've been on here far too long with cynicism like that:D

Mowbray is slipping down the football pyramid. Who knows where his next job comes from if he fails here.

No way he deliberatley makes it harder for himself by leaving out players capable of stepping up.

If some players arent promoted to the senior squad then he either doesnt think they are good enough, or now isnt the right time for them

• Like 1

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't in anyway believe he'd do it deliberately and/or any conspiracy reasons.  Just some managers over the years are big on pushing kids through and some are more reluctant to trust them.  For me he has so far seemed a little more in the latter category.  However as you say no way would he do it for anything other than correct reasons in his view of what is best for the team.

• Backroom
12 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Could be, but in the full article he lists all his qualities and makes him sound like Shearer!  My (cynical) guess is that he's realised he's better than Antonsson so now has to save a bit of face. Best way to do that is to say he's going to 'accelerate' him i.e. he shouldn't be ready but ToMo has seen his potential early.  

Bl00dy hell, I've been on here far too long with cynicism like that:D

Being fair, Nuttall is also a Mowbray signing. He, like us, must feel like he's stumbled on someone quite magic.

With his name, it's written in the stars he'll be great for us!