BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, meadows said:

Transfers...and would you accept a player from Burnley we're discussing. 

Scenario. Jan 2018 - Rovers are doing well but Danny Graham who's been bearing the brunt of attack and scoring in our regular 1-0 wins gets injured. Ashley Barnes is out of The Burnley picture with one of two in front of him in the queue. 

Mowbray rings Dyche to see if he is available as we need a few goals to bolster our promotion bid. 

Would we fans really not have it? 

Now nobody has tormented Clarets fans more than me over the years but I'd have him here in a heartbeat. 

I'd scour the earth for an alternative. If Barnes was the only option on the planet, then yes, I'd take him rather than have no-one, but I'd be very confident of finding someone of at least equal calibre without having to go to Dyche and that lot and ask for a favour.

The scenario of January 2018 is quite likely to happen mind given the lack of bodies we have and Graham's age/fitness. I'd hope we deal with that potential problem this summer rather than risking leaving it until January.

15 minutes ago, meadows said:

We won the Premier League with Gale, Slater, Atkins, Wilcox, Pearce and Warhurst all contributing but starting 30 or fewer. 

Nobody expected Mulgrew to start every game. But plenty thought he was a much less prudent signing than he turned out to be

The problem is we have a waffer thin squad compared to back then. Even though I agree about the number of times players play, we haven't got the money to have adequate replacements

Times we are in now.

29 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

So are we expecting any more perms or is it just loans now? We'd be quite an attractive destination for clubs wanting to send their most talented youngsters, being one of the faves for the league could mean instilling a winning mentality into their players and with good players at this level around them, they could expect to see some good performances.

I disagree about us being an attractive destination for Bigger teams to send young players too.If a prem club is sending a young player to a league 1 club then they would expect that player to be playing regularly.Can we offer that?

27 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

My thoughts exactly. A Premier league manager could send a lad here and he could end up the lone striker in a team set up around getting the ball into him to score goals. Back to his parent club then with a *20 plus goal season* under his belt. I would send a player here before sending them to a Bolton or a Milwall. 

*hypothetically 

So a young loan striker will be starting ahead of Graham and Samuel?

Just now, islander200 said:

I disagree about us being an attractive destination for Bigger teams to send young players too.If a prem club is sending a young player to a league 1 club then they would expect that player to be playing regularly.Can we offer that?

If it was a pacey winger I would definitely. Even up front they would get game time, Graham hardly has the best injury/fitness record and there will be times we need 2 strikers on the pitch.

• Backroom

Oooooh 49 new posts I wonder who we've signed! Oh....

By the way if any of you put your chocolate in the fridge you are dead to me 

5 minutes ago, meadows said:

Transfers...and would you accept a player from Burnley we're discussing. 

Scenario. Jan 2018 - Rovers are doing well but Danny Graham who's been bearing the brunt of attack and scoring in our regular 1-0 wins gets injured. Ashley Barnes is out of The Burnley picture with one of two in front of him in the queue. 

Mowbray rings Dyche to see if he is available as we need a few goals to bolster our promotion bid. 

Would we fans really not have it? 

Now nobody has tormented Clarets fans more than me over the years but I'd have him here in a heartbeat. 

Personally I would take a player if he was going to improve our squad. In reality though I know the treatment he would get from certain fans, so in practice such a deal would not work out. Unless he scored the winning goal in the play-off final or something like that 

I do enjoy having TM as manager. A youngster secured with a long term contracts, shorter lower risk term contracts handed out and, so far, seems like we are going to retain our better players and lose Evans. A man that we can say has already been replaced.

As for the Mulgrew situation no one can doubt his influence in the 26 games he played. Take both of his performances against Newcastle as an example. We are a much better team with him in it. The fact he played 26 games isn't exactly surprising given his age and injury problems. However, I'd rather be with 26 games this year than without him - ideally against the teams like Doncaster, Bradford etc

8 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I do enjoy having TM as manager. A youngster secured with a long term contracts, shorter lower risk term contracts handed out and, so far, seems like we are going to retain our better players and lose Evans. A man that we can say has already been replaced.

As for the Mulgrew situation no one can doubt his influence in the 26 games he played. Take both of his performances against Newcastle as an example. We are a much better team with him in it. The fact he played 26 games isn't exactly surprising given his age and injury problems. However, I'd rather be with 26 games this year than without him - ideally against the teams like Doncaster, Bradford etc

Agreed  i'd rather have someone like Caddis at 29 with still a few years left signing on for about 4k pwk as opposed to Brown on 8k with an option for another year which i'm sure Coyle was going to give him enough mins to trigger.

I know we went down anyway but it would have been horrific with Coyle running around with a decent lge 1 budget, truly horrific.

13 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I see a lot of people hoping for Evans to go but so far pre season he has looked sharp and would be a quality player in this league if fit. I would keep him definitely until January and then assess his performances and fitness then. 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If he is good enough why wouldn't he? 

Personally I'd rather the players we owned played.We just shelled out 500k on Samuel and I'd rather we develop him instead of giving playing time to some prem kid.We won't attract the cream of the crop who are available to loan

9 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Personally I'd rather the players we owned played.We just shelled out 500k on Samuel and I'd rather we develop him instead of giving playing time to some prem kid.We won't attract the cream of the crop who are available to loan

I take your point but if we do sign someone on loan and it turns out they are our best option, I think that they have to start. 

Archived