BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

End of the day, if Chapman wants to move here,  the deal will get done.   He tweets the right things but any sensible lad would. Seems to get on well with the likes of DacK but then again he comes from the NE so could well be a Boro fan.  I'm sure he said all the right things at Sheffield U last year... 

Hope he does though.  Cracking little player.. Most dynamic since Duff.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I just think players of that age should be thinking more of playing games and 1st team football than money. 

I did say in the summer he should have gone Barnsley

I don't get the constant bitterness towards him.  Personally, I hope he does well.  If rumours were true and the club offered him a poor contract why wouldn't he go to a premier league club?  Why would he be regretting it now?  He's had half a season training with better players and presumably better coaches and if he moves to Barnsley and play half a season in the championship, if it goes well start of next season he'll (probably) be at a premier league club with a chance of getting on the bench and from there who knows?  If he believes in himself he'll back himself to do it.  

I thought he did pretty well when he came on in sometimes, TM seemed to indicate in interviews he'd have played a big role in league one if he had stayed, Bournemouth and others thought he showed enough potential to want to sign.  I really like that he had to good feet and could go either way and enjoyed watching him.  He left but I see no reason to want him to do badly like some.

2 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

End of the day, if Chapman wants to move here,  the deal will get done.   He tweets the right things but any sensible lad would. Seems to get on well with the likes of DacK but then again he comes from the NE so could well be a Boro fan.  I'm sure he said all the right things at Sheffield U last year... 

Hope he does though.  Cracking little player.. Most dynamic since Duff.

Be good if they set a pipeline up for North East talent who aren't getting a sniff at their parent clubs to come here whilst we are in our present state. Mowbrays a lot of connections up there and it's a football hotbed not far away, similar clubs/towns etc and ex Boro players seem to settle here easy and do ok I think.

Keep sniffing around up there I say.

9 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Be good if they set a pipeline up for North East talent who aren't getting a sniff at their parent clubs to come here whilst we are in our present state. Mowbrays a lot of connections up there and it's a football hotbed not far away, similar clubs/towns etc and ex Boro players seem to settle here easy and do ok I think.

Keep sniffing around up there I say.

Reminds me that Shearer never got a chance up there. His home town club gave him a trial and put him in goal!

Then he went as far away as possible to Southampton! So you may well be on to something here!

3 hours ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

I don't get the constant bitterness towards him.  Personally, I hope he does well.  If rumours were true and the club offered him a poor contract why wouldn't he go to a premier league club?  Why would he be regretting it now?  He's had half a season training with better players and presumably better coaches and if he moves to Barnsley and play half a season in the championship, if it goes well start of next season he'll (probably) be at a premier league club with a chance of getting on the bench and from there who knows?  If he believes in himself he'll back himself to do it.  

I thought he did pretty well when he came on in sometimes, TM seemed to indicate in interviews he'd have played a big role in league one if he had stayed, Bournemouth and others thought he showed enough potential to want to sign.  I really like that he had to good feet and could go either way and enjoyed watching him.  He left but I see no reason to want him to do badly like some.

What people have forgotten is that his dad joined this forum a çouple of years ago.or so and complained about his son not getting 1st team football. As soon as he gets 1st team football he runs down his contract and does one to play, ironically, at an even lower level of U23's than he was playing here.

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Reminds me that Shearer never got a chance up there. His home town club gave him a trial and put him in goal!

Then he went as far away as possible to Southampton! So you may well be on to something here!

If i'm not misinformed I think Burnley used to take a lot from up there back in their golden era but all i'm thinking now is with Rovers on a lower level than the three North East big clubs and that lot and Leeds the traditional nearest routes for youngsters up there might be somewhat clogged with outsiders so next nearest and viable option is Rovers.

I think the Chapman and Armstrong signings might show that.

Just now, tomphil said:

If i'm not misinformed I think Burnley used to take a lot from up there back in their golden era but all i'm thinking now is with Rovers on a lower level than the three North East big clubs and that lot and Leeds the traditional nearest routes for youngsters up there might be somewhat clogged with outsiders so next nearest and viable option is Rovers.

I think the Chapman and Armstrong signings show that.

I remember a pal of mine who played for the Dingles at " A ' team level in the 1960's telling me that their reserves played Sunderland away in the old Central League. The team coach went up full on the Saturday morning  but came back empty after the game because all the players elected  to spend the weekend at home in the North East.

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember a pal of mine who played for the Dingles at " A ' team level in the 1960's telling me that their reserves played Sunderland away in the old Central League. The team coach went up full on the Saturday morning  but came back empty after the game because all the players elected  to spend the weekend at home in the North East.

Was the scout guy Jack Hickson or someone who used to get them into Burnley ?  And he spotted Gazza, Shearer etc ?

If so thank god he didn't get those two in at the Turd.

3 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

What people have forgotten is that his dad joined this forum a çouple of years ago.or so and complained about his son not getting 1st team football. As soon as he gets 1st team football he runs down his contract and does one to play, ironically, at an even lower level of U23's than he was playing here.

I remember that bizarre episode. Mahoney's dad came across as having a huge influence in footballing matters for him - almost like an agent. Not sure if that's par for the course with young players or not, but it didn't come across very well!

In one sense, you can't blame Mahoney for going (or being advised to go) for the best financial deal possible, assuming that's what Bournemouth was, but in another way, if Mahoney doesn't get first-team football somehow (loan or otherwise), then you can't help but feel it's yet another waste of young English talent because of financial reasons. Not that Mahoney was the finished article, because there was a reason why he wasn't in the starting XI regularly, but he really could have developed well with us this season, or even at a Championship club.

2 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

I remember that bizarre episode. Mahoney's dad came across as having a huge influence in footballing matters for him - almost like an agent. Not sure if that's par for the course with young players or not, but it didn't come across very well!

In one sense, you can't blame Mahoney for going (or being advised to go) for the best financial deal possible, assuming that's what Bournemouth was, but in another way, if Mahoney doesn't get first-team football somehow (loan or otherwise), then you can't help but feel it's yet another waste of young English talent because of financial reasons. Not that Mahoney was the finished article, because there was a reason why he wasn't in the starting XI regularly, but he really could have developed well with us this season, or even at a Championship club.

Poor decision on his or his agents or fathers part if you ask me. Not the leaving us part as he was messed around and I can understand that.

He had offers from the Championship though, where I imagine he would be starting games and gaining experience. As it is now he is in the same position as he already was (possibly worse as it will be much harder to break into a PL team than ours) and will probably get forgotten or loaned out. Wasting years away when he could be playing.

9 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Poor decision on his or his agents or fathers part if you ask me. Not the leaving us part as he was messed around and I can understand that.

He had offers from the Championship though, where I imagine he would be starting games and gaining experience. As it is now he is in the same position as he already was (possibly worse as it will be much harder to break into a PL team than ours) and will probably get forgotten or loaned out. Wasting years away when he could be playing.

How much did the club receive to Connor aplogies but I've not seen it mentioned.

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Mulgrew allegedly being looked at by Birmingham. 

Typical Nixon link, 'club x want player z but it's unlikely to happen'

He's unlikely to be proven wrong and can happily make up stories to fill a line in the paper 

45 minutes ago, tomphil said:

The window is still open and imo we need quality centre back cover anyway and have all season, now's the time.

Do we? Lenihan is almost back. Williams will cover for Mulgrew when he is out. I suppose a lot depends on how long Mulgrew is out for. Its hardly a season ender, is it? 

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

The window is still open and imo we need quality centre back cover anyway and have all season, now's the time.

no we don't. 

Williams very comfortable at centre back Plus Downing, Mulgrew and Lenihan plus Ward and Wharton. 

How many more do we need?

18 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Do we? Lenihan is almost back. Williams will cover for Mulgrew when he is out. I suppose a lot depends on how long Mulgrew is out for. Its hardly a season ender, is it? 

Quite possibly (to your first question.) We've been looking a bit thin there with Lenihan injured and only an injury away from Ward returning. Ok Williams can slot in there and is better cover than Ward but it's still a massive downgrade on Mulgrew. Also factor in how long it may take Lenihan to get back up to speed after his injury and we are looking very fragile there.

Obviously it depends how long Mulgrew is out for - reckon we could middle on for a few weeks. But if it's longer it's a big blow at both ends of the pitch.

Archived