BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Bury

• Moderation Lead
9 hours ago, Gav said:

You changed it, not easy being an objective mod is it :D and you did have a pop but we move on.

I'm sick of reading all the negative bunkum posted on here these days as you can probably tell, sometimes things have got to be said.

The last part proves my point. It’s hardly negative to say we won and played badly when our own manager said the same thing! 

In fairness Gav, you’ve massively changed your tune from a while ago when you used to always say ‘we’ll achieve nothing until those rats in Pune feck off’.

Which is fine, but to then start criticising people for being too negative now....

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Mike E said:

While true, Mowbray has got so much more out of him this season than any of us expected.

Some of his corners have been a bit shit which for me totally negates all the direct freekicks he's scored. Mowbray has certainly blotted his copy book with his lack of corner coaching.

23 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Those who say our players aren't good enough,yet can't name one realistic player who would improve on them ,don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to having a valid football opinion. 

End of debate then. I'll let that quote stand for comedy value.

10 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Some of his corners have been a bit shit which for me totally negates all the direct freekicks he's scored. Mowbray has certainly blotted his copy book with his lack of corner coaching.

I think more often than not we don't make enough of Mulgrews in swinging corners. The lack of movement around the penalty area makes them easy to defend but invariably Mulgrews puts them on a sixpence.

Just now, arbitro said:

I think more often than not we don't make enough of Mulgrews in swinging corners. The lack of movement around the penalty area makes them easy to defend but invariably Mulgrews puts them on a sixpence.

We haven't got a towering header of the ball even with Mulgrew. It doesn't matter how good the delivery is. If we had Samba and Rudy in the middle it would be different.

I think the short corners are trying to work it so that we can either play into the box or get a better angle to whip a lower cross in. It's just on Monday we couldn't do either.

2 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

If you’re being serious here all I can say is....blimey!

I don't do jokes OJT1. I don't enjoy laughter. This board is becoming too positive. It's ok to say Charlie has scored 12 goals but what about the bad backpass at Fleetwood? That's oh so convenietly forgotten by the top-of-the-league brigade. Well, not by me it's not i can tell you. 

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

I don't do jokes OJT1. I don't enjoy laughter. This board is becoming too positive. It's ok to say Charlie has scored 12 goals but what about the bad backpass at Fleetwood? That's oh so convenietly forgotten by the top-of-the-league brigade. Well, not by me it's not i can tell you. 

I did wonder mate ha ha

So we cannot discuss any negative aspects of any game on this board now? That's now moaning apparently?

So when Samuel got sent off earlier in the season - if it happened in the next game we cannot discuss it? Just say good lad, he tried his best.

Everybody is thrilled we are 'temporarily' top of the league but this forum would be an extremely boring place if every thread was "well done, we are the best and do not need to improve in any manner'.

20 hours ago, Gav said:

First half last night we looked like a 3rd division side, poor passing, no excuse for that, the players lacked focus in my opinion, concentration levels took a while to get up to speed.

On the other hand Bury looked full of beans, buzzing around, quick passing and plenty of movement up front.

Second half was a different story, excellent Mowbray subs, Payne looks on another level, quick feet and a good footballing brain, a cut above anyone else on the pitch and eventually an easy win on the night.

It wasn't pretty, it wasn't full of quality, but it is 3rd division football.

Top of the league from being 15 points off the pace, superb effort from the manager and players.

Onwards and upwards.

Gav, stop being so negative.

You basically said the same as everybody else after the game so not sure what your problem is.

The only other discussion has been our lack of quality at corners.

30 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

The last part proves my point. It’s hardly negative to say we won and played badly when our own manager said the same thing! 

In fairness Gav, you’ve massively changed your tune from a while ago when you used to always say ‘we’ll achieve nothing until those rats in Pune feck off’.

Which is fine, but to then start criticising people for being too negative now....

Let me make one thing clear, we will never progress until those rats feck off, and I certainly don't count a third division title as success, so I've not changed my tune at all.

As for calling out the posters who continue slagging off the players, manager and the Pies when we sit top of the league having only lost 1 since October, that's a valid arguement wouldn't you say.

If we sat mid table or in the bottom six I'd be moaning and bitching with the best of em, but we're top of the @#/? league.......

8 hours ago, Butty said:

I can't remember too many games this season home or away where we've won and I've come off thinking "we played brilliantly today" but too be honest I'm not really bothered as at first it was alarming in the fact I'd think surely we can't keep performing like this and picking up results, but we have! It must be the sign of a team who is that good we don't even need to get out of first gear ;) that's how I've started looking at it from now on and that won't change unless we drop out of that top two at any point before the end of the season :lol: 

I'm starting to think that way as well. You could count the really good performances this season on the fingers of a Dingles hand but this morning we sit top of the league.  The conclusion I've come to is it's a very poor division. Having said that I watched the Wigan v City game the other night. I know it was a Cup Final for Wigan but they played very, very well, especially in defence.

Just now, Gav said:

Let me make one thing clear, we will never progress until those rats feck off, and I certainly don't count a third division title as success, so I've not changed my tune at all.

As for calling out the posters who continue slagging off the players, manager and the Pies when we sit top of the league having only lost 1 since October, that's a valid arguement wouldn't you say.

If we sat mid table or in the bottom six I'd be moaning and bitching with the best of em, but we're top of the @#/? league.......

Again, could you clarify where this moaning and bitching is? We just said the same as you in that we played badly first half and our better players got out of jail. Stop moaning and bitching - we are top of the league ffs.

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Gav said:

We’re going around in circles here Gav. I wouldn’t mind but you and I have basically posted the same thoughts on the game.

I can’t be bothered going over this any more and I’ve got work to do in any event.

10 minutes ago, Gav said:

Did you not continually criticise Allardyce when we were a stable, well run Premier League side?

Wanting your team to do better and pointing out perceived weaknesses doesn't count as 'slagging off the players and management' in my book. 

I'm sick to @#/?ing death of steak pies. Honestly, where is the variety? The mess that is left on the refreshment counter is also a joke. This club is going to the pits. I don't care if we win I want a hot, flavoursome pie not some lukewarm, goopy gravy pastry. I don't think I can continue supporting them anymore. Nothing will change while our pies are served as they are.

Fast forward 5 years when we are on the verge of winning awards for our pies and I might start liking them again.........but I still won't have changed my tune! We will never succeed with them pies

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

I'm sick to @#/?ing death of steak pies. Honestly, where is the variety? The mess that is left on the refreshment counter is also a joke. This club is going to the pits. I don't care if we win I want a hot, flavoursome pie not some lukewarm, goopy gravy pastry. I don't think I can continue supporting them anymore. Nothing will change while our pies are served as they are.

Fast forward 5 years when we are on the verge of winning awards for our pies and I might start liking them again.........but I still won't have changed my tune! We will never succeed with them pies

In defence of Mowbray the quality of pies isn't his fault but if he was in charge the meat and potato would have far too many potatoes, not enough seasoning, flaky pastry and a little bland.

Mowbray out :lol:

12 minutes ago, arbitro said:

In defence of Mowbray the quality of pies isn't his fault but if he was in charge the meat and potato would have far too many potatoes, not enough seasoning, flaky pastry and a little bland.

Mowbray out :lol:

Very true. The last time he made a good pie was 10 years ago and back then balti pies were in fashion! He's a dinosaur in the pie game and frankly anyone who enjoys his pies are tasteless know-nothings.

I am an expert in pies and pies like the "Lowe Pie" (or marmite pie as you may know it) are what every club needs to win awards, it's just a shame most can't taste what I taste

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Some of the ingredients would also be out of position. 

Shouldn't stop us peppering their goal, though. Just wish we'd stop mincing about with it at the back.

3 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

It would seem you don't do common-sense either.

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thats your plan B not mine way of a plan B

3-5-2 can work for us and why you have written off this formation very quickly I dont know but its part of the reason we got 7 points and 6 goals in the last 3 games. Being able to change from one formation to another should be easy after 6 months of working on it in training(Mowbray's comments. 

Dack too deep in 10 role in 3-4-1-2 really? Same role as in 4-2-3-1 surely? The teams we are playing are decided  to crowd Dack and double up on him. No time or space for him. 

I understand the messageboard fine thanks so dont insult me with those sort of comments

Change a formation to play 2 up front and Dack behind in 10 role and make us more solid defensively aswell. Armstrong is a striker. 4 goals in 3 games playing up front. Tell you where he should play..

Im.chilled and relax thanks. Very positive mood today

I never said thatd be my plan b. My point is that they are 2 vastly different formations and it takes a couple of subs and alot of reshuffling to change mid game. A point youve either ignored or dont have an answer to.

It was more like Graham up front and Armstrong and Dack both off him. Either way none of the 3 looked their usual self until we changed formation.

Good to know.

36 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I never said thatd be my plan b. My point is that they are 2 vastly different formations and it takes a couple of subs and alot of reshuffling to change mid game. A point youve either ignored or dont have an answer to.

It was more like Graham up front and Armstrong and Dack both off him. Either way none of the 3 looked their usual self until we changed formation.

Good to know.

Dont see making a couple of subs and change of formation a problem like yourself. These are pro footballers. Clearly you do so we have to agree to disagree

At Home to Oldham second half And pompey away some of the second half it was 2 up front and for the 1st 17 mins of the second half of the Bury game. Mowbray said in his post match comments he move Armstrong up front with Graham. 

My point about Playing Armstrong up front and he will score but you ignore this point. Funny know. 

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Dont see making a couple of subs and change of formation a problem like yourself. These are pro footballers. Clearly you do so we have to agree to disagree

At Home to Oldham second half And pompey away some of the second half it was 2 up front and for the 1st 17 mins of the second half of the Bury game. Mowbray said in his post match comments he move Armstrong up front with Graham. 

My point about Playing Armstrong up front and he will score but you ignore this point. Funny know. 

They are but its not a computer game, it is a different skillset needed for example moving from right wing back to central midfield, it also means that partnerships cannot be formed as easily. 

Like I said, Armstrong was anonymous v Bury until we went to a back 4, he was playing deeper than Graham and not getting the ball quick enough. It was more of a 3-4-2-1. He scored v Portsmouth from both roles, he was up front v Bury but only because Graham had gone off, you look v Walsall and he played and it was only terrible finishing and good goalkeeping that stopped him as he had chance after chance, coming from the left. 

The crux of my point was always, why fix what isnt broken. Coming off an 18 unbeaten run through a simple 4-2-3-1. Many of the goals conceded where either set pieces or individual mistakes, not problems with the formation. Yes tweak it slightly if necessary, but alternating between drastically different formations will leave us struggling to get continuity. Stick to what we know and whats served us well.

Archived