Jump to content
Cherry Blue

Championship 2018-19

Recommended Posts

On 14/03/2019 at 09:49, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's annoying when you consider how close we would be to the play-offs if we even won even one game in the last 6 before Wigan 

Or if we had held on to only half the points we have thrown away from winning positions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone really thinks this team - with an expensive wage structure breaking striker, or with defenders that we could get for 1/2 the price in summer, was genuinely in with a chance of a playoff place (never mind win it)  is a bit of a fantasist imo.

 

I wouldn’t want to run a business with those of you that thought “we should have gone for it”, “Mowbray has no ambition” etc...

 

Although I would very much like to play you at poker.

 

Our form in January was as unexpected as that in Feb. But I suppose to be expected with where we are as a club right now.

 

Im glad we didn’t bet the farm on the playoffs... and to be honest - I’d be properly delighted with mid-table mediocrity right now.

 

Commence shitstorm.

 

 

 

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, S8 & Blue said:

If anyone really thinks this team - with an expensive wage structure breaking striker, or with defenders that we could get for 1/2 the price in summer, was genuinely in with a chance of a playoff place (never mind win it)  is a bit of a fantasist imo.

 

I wouldn’t want to run a business with those of you that thought “we should have gone for it”, “Mowbray has no ambition” etc...

 

Although I would very much like to play you at poker.

 

Our form in January was as unexpected as that in Feb. But I suppose to be expected with where we are as a club right now.

 

Im glad we didn’t bet the farm on the playoffs... and to be honest - I’d be properly delighted with mid-table mediocrity right now.

 

Commence shitstorm.

 

 

 

I think expectations just got a bit ridiculous because of the great run in January, beating WBA and Hull who at that time were the form team in the league. Then we went 2 up at Brentford and were starting to dream, that soon went tits up mind as we all know. I think that game really knocked the stuffing out of us looking back and started the downward spiral. 

Tuesdays win should give us a much needed lift, granted Wigan are dreadful but it's important to get that winning feeling back. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

I think expectations just got a bit ridiculous because of the great run in January, beating WBA and Hull who at that time were the form team in the league. Then we went 2 up at Brentford and were starting to dream, that soon went tits up mind as we all know. I think that game really knocked the stuffing out of us looking back and started the downward spiral. 

Tuesdays win should give us a much needed lift, granted Wigan are dreadful but it's important to get that winning feeling back. 

I’m properly the worst for getting carried away... After twenty minutes at Brentford I was genuinely looking at Premier Inn Wembley! 😃

But reality bites. 

If we’d managed to space out the results from Jan/Feb, we would have been ticking along decently and I think you’d be hard pressed to find anyone too disappointed with our current total.

You can only beat what’s in front of you though, and the Wigan game should give us that positive, competitive feeling again.

ANY result tomorrow against 40k a week Wednesday should be celebrated, really... and unfortunately, pessimisticly, pisstakingly (some might think) perhaps - 

I don’t think a loss should lead to a forum meltdown.

And a win will be to the team’s, and THE MANAGER’S credit, surely.

 

Edited by S8 & Blue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, S8 & Blue said:

If anyone really thinks this team - with an expensive wage structure breaking striker, or with defenders that we could get for 1/2 the price in summer, was genuinely in with a chance of a playoff place (never mind win it)  is a bit of a fantasist imo.

Well we may as well hand back our league share now and draw up stumps because it’s going to be a heck of a lot more difficult next season with three more rich clubs in the mix.

Three points off.

January window open.

Venkys wanting to back the manager.

Mowbray in charge.

A guy who when we were crying out for a defender was talking about an attacker “that we couldn’t afford”. He’s capable of a Dack or a Brereton, depending on which way the wind blows.

But you’re right getting more square pegs for round holes at half the January price is what’s most important.

It’s not fans who need to change their expectations and targets, it’s the current manager.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stuart said:

 

Venkys wanting to back the manager.

 

I must have missed that memo.

What was the budget @Stuart?

If it was enough to plug the glaring inadequacies in the squad then you must be more optimistic about the team than me!

Edited by S8 & Blue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

If anyone really thinks this team - with an expensive wage structure breaking striker, or with defenders that we could get for 1/2 the price in summer, was genuinely in with a chance of a playoff place (never mind win it)  is a bit of a fantasist imo.

 

I wouldn’t want to run a business with those of you that thought “we should have gone for it”, “Mowbray has no ambition” etc...

 

Although I would very much like to play you at poker.

 

Our form in January was as unexpected as that in Feb. But I suppose to be expected with where we are as a club right now.

 

Im glad we didn’t bet the farm on the playoffs... and to be honest - I’d be properly delighted with mid-table mediocrity right now.

 

Commence shitstorm.

 

 

 

You're conviently forgetting as a club we've spent/committed £10m NET since last summer. Practically unheard of in the Championship. The farm has already been bet, which nobody was arguing for anyway. People, quite rightly, were instead wondering why Mowbray didn't strengthen when we were in a superb position. Its not like our porous defence was new to him. 

He was complacent and the club has spent the last 6 weeks paying for it. 

Bet the farm FFS! You mean like Preston did. Oh hang on, they just made a few good additions in January from the lower leagues relatively cheaply and are now reaping the rewards. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, S8 & Blue said:

I must have missed that memo.

What was the budget @Stuart?

If it was enough to plug the glaring inadequacies in the squad then you must be more optimistic about the team than me!

One CB would have made a huge difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, blueboy3333 said:

One CB would have made a huge difference. 

Yeah but it wouldn’t have meant playoffs imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Yeah but it wouldn’t have meant playoffs imo

We'll never know but we're only 9 points away after getting 1 point from 21. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

You're conviently forgetting as a club we've spent/committed £10m NET since last summer. Practically unheard of in the Championship. The farm has already been bet, which nobody was arguing for anyway. People, quite rightly, were instead wondering why Mowbray didn't strengthen when we were in a superb position. Its not like our porous defence was new to him. 

He was complacent and the club has spent the last 6 weeks paying for it. 

Bet the farm FFS! You mean like Preston did. Oh hang on, they just made a few good additions in January from the lower leagues relatively cheaply and are now reaping the rewards. 

Good points, as usual well made.

I think what I’m post-publy getting at is that I really don’t think we can have expected or “demanded” a playoff push. 

We may have spent money , but throwing more on the fire in January wasn’t a sensible move for me.

We just aren’t good enough throughout yet.

Who’s “fault” or failing that is is almost a separate conversation, and for me it is too early to point fingers during what I think can still shape up to be a relatively successful season.

But I suppose you all know I think that already!

 

 

Edited by S8 & Blue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Good points, as usual well made.

I think what I’m post-publy getting at is that I really don’t think we can have expected or “demanded” a playoff push. 

We may have spent money , but throwing more on the fire in January wasn’t a sensible move for me.

We just aren’t good enough throughout yet.

Who’s “fault” or failing that is is almost a separate conversation, and for me it is too early to point fingers during what I think can still shape up to be a relatively successful season.

But I suppose you all know I think that already!

 

 

The frustration is that we didn't try to improve In Jan when 1 average Championship CB capable of heading the ball and defending properly could have made a huge difference. All we got instead was the Mowbray Shrug. Very very annoying. 

Hope the pub was good👍

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

You're conviently forgetting as a club we've spent/committed £10m NET since last summer. Practically unheard of in the Championship. The farm has already been bet, which nobody was arguing for anyway. People, quite rightly, were instead wondering why Mowbray didn't strengthen when we were in a superb position. Its not like our porous defence was new to him. 

He was complacent and the club has spent the last 6 weeks paying for it. 

Bet the farm FFS! You mean like Preston did. Oh hang on, they just made a few good additions in January from the lower leagues relatively cheaply and are now reaping the rewards. 

Sadly fella the Championship has become the league where £10m net spends are now the norm. When Villa and the Jawdees came down a couple of years ago they just decimated the transfer market cos they had parachute payments, average players moved for 8 figure fees and wages rose, other clubs had to compete and now we see the effects biting. 

Players previously 3-4m are going for 4 times that but then the EFL want FFP. Stoke have done it this year and no doubt the club's coming down will do the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Owlsonlineadmin said:

Sadly fella the Championship has become the league where £10m net spends are now the norm. When Villa and the Jawdees came down a couple of years ago they just decimated the transfer market cos they had parachute payments, average players moved for 8 figure fees and wages rose, other clubs had to compete and now we see the effects biting. 

Players previously 3-4m are going for 4 times that but then the EFL want FFP. Stoke have done it this year and no doubt the club's coming down will do the same.

They aren't the norm at all. The key word was 'net'. Go through last summers spends. Rovers were about 6th or 7th highest 'net' spenders in the Championship.

The teams that spend a lot have normally come down from the Prem and have sold 2 or 3 stars for big money. Most clubs in the Championship still spend very little 'net'. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Good points, as usual well made.

I think what I’m post-publy getting at is that I really don’t think we can have expected or “demanded” a playoff push. 

We may have spent money , but throwing more on the fire in January wasn’t a sensible move for me.

We just aren’t good enough throughout yet.

Who’s “fault” or failing that is is almost a separate conversation, and for me it is too early to point fingers during what I think can still shape up to be a relatively successful season.

But I suppose you all know I think that already!

That’s a really strange phrase to use. Do you not trust Bowyer to spend it wisely either?

Bringing in the right one or two players in January to try to cement a play-off place with over half the season gone and very much in the mix? Or masterminding a play-off season from scratch when losing a key player like Reed at the end of it, and needing to bring in those same missing players, and more, in the Summer? Unless a play-off position isn’t the aim for a settled Mowbray - who doesn’t like raising expectations for fear of failure.

If we had struggled this season and we stayed up by working damned hard in every game, with a clear gulf in quality then I could understand this acceptance of a “consolation season”. As it is, that hasn’t been the case. We have competed up to the end of January and that’s when we needed to capitalise. Instead, “we kept our powder dry” - something we haven’t been all that good at it recent times.

You really think Venkys weren’t willing to back him? Do you really need me to dig out all of Mowbray’s quotes saying the opposite?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think you get the chance to build slowly in the championship. Let's look at next season. We are going to need 7/8 players to either go in the team or strengthen the squad.

 

Norwich for example have had a handful come through the youth and brought 3/4 in by very good business. So even they haven't built slowly.

 

It depends what is meant by building slowly though. Is it 2 players a window? Or 3/4 million spent per window? You don't get the chance to build slowly and like someone else has said. Reed most likely won't be here next season.

 

Mulgrew is looking busted at this level. Dack may decide to leave and Graham can't keep defying the odds every year. The chance for me was this season as the manager hasn't shown he's a transfer guru, he's more a get 1 good player then get 4 bad players. 

 

Or he'll sign players and not use them, like now, if the season is near enough secured then get a few younger players in as well as your Rothwells, Chapmans and Breretons and see if they can handle it for next season.

 

We've got to identify and address whose good enough, who isn't so that once the summer kicks in we can be quick off the mark and get positions dealt with with good business. Qualify over quantity.

 

By the way I'm sure you were backing the bolonga rumour even though myself and a few others said it was crazy, money should go elsewhere. Could be wrong though?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure backing is the word you meant. I believe that he shouldn’t have been be beyond our reach (had we not signed Brereton) and that he was better than what he had. The thing is if Graham scores a couple of goals suddenly folk think we don’t have a problem. Signing Brereton was a poor use of money but Mowbray told us all there’s more where that came from, for the right players, and he would decide who they were.

If you are going to start looking back at my thoughts though, try the ones where I believed (and still believe) we are short at the back.

We have it all to do next season and where a few additions - including a striker to help score 4 while we concede 3 - might have got us from 7th/8th into 5th/6th, we now need a complete rethink - especially with Graham and Mulgrew another year older.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ve somehow  got though to mid March with one experienced striker. The (surprising) robustness of Graham has saved Mowbray’s bacon, as recruitment at the top end of the pitch has been as bizarre as centre half.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mattyblue said:

We’ve somehow  got though to mid March with one experienced striker. The (surprising) robustness of Graham has saved Mowbray’s bacon, as recruitment at the top end of the pitch has been as bizarre as centre half.

Yeah, when you put it like that. One position of neglect is criminal. Two...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Tom Stinny said:

By the way I'm sure you were backing the bolonga rumour even though myself and a few others said it was crazy, money should go elsewhere. Could be wrong though?

I certainly did.

But I am daft as a brush.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, it’s been a good season so far. Comfortably competing at this level without too many changes to the first 11, plenty of investment of time and money into youth projects like Travis and Brereton - the trajectory is good in my opinion.

Much of that comes down to having a really good manager and an ownership prepared to keep put some money into fees, funding the youth setup and covering the wage gap. I don’t subscribe to the theory it’s now or never. I think our best chance to rebuild to a consistent premier league outfit is through our academy, a long term project - and the signs are good for me.

The likes of Butterworth, Chapman, Davenport, Magloire, BB, Rankin Costello, Buckley etc, all look potential stars -  we have an absolute plethora of exciting prospects.

It’s a really exciting time for me anyway. I know some expect us to be fighting for silverware and promotion every season, but I don’t think that’s realistic.

That said. If we had been in the playoffs this season, the criticism would be why aren’t we going for automatic!

If you think that’s not true, just remember twelve months ago - people criticised the team for not winning the league...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m fine with finishing mid table, considering the haphazard recruitment we couldn’t have achieved much more.

Biggest summer in a long time coming up. Could make or break the next few years.

Edited by Mattyblue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.